Sunday 12 March 2017

Weekend wrap-up

Having a small baby in the house is quite the adjustment for my son C and I.  Of course, it's not all because of Eli but because both of his parents are staying here as well.  (Yes, both...more on that later).

Finding his thumb
We've had some bumps along the road.  

On Monday, his father went to work, and when D went to pick him up later that afternoon, she left little Eli with me.  

Two feedings, three diaper changes, and four hours later his parents finally got home.  Apparently, daddy had things he needed to do. I'm not sure what could be more important than their four day old son, so I sat them both down and gave then a stern talking to.  

Tuesday was a quieter day, J (daddy) arranged to get rides with other people so that D could stay home.  Wednesday I went back to work and daddy went to court.  As the result of an incident last summer, J is now on probation for four months, must abide by a curfew between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., and is banned from a certain cab company for life.  
napping in the swing
Thursday, I again went to work but left at 11 a.m. as D was feeling ill.  I ended up taking her to the hospital where she spent nearly 12 hours in emergency.  At first, there was some thought she might be having a gallbladder attack but that, thankfully, was ruled out.  

J had met with his parole officer that morning, so he met us at the hospital and stayed with D until about 9 that evening.  He had, unbeknownst to me, arranged to use my home address as the place he would staying overnights for the next three weeks.  I understand he did this so he could "help" D with the overnight feedings, diaper changes, etc., but it would have been nice to have asked permission first.

Unfortunately D's blood sugars were quite low, and she was hooked up to an IV while they monitored her.  After picking J up and delivering him to my house, I went back to the hospital and stayed with her until they released her about 11 p.m.  We still don't know for certain what caused the pain and discomfort she was feeling, nor why her blood sugar levels kept fluctuating.  I believe it is because she hasn't been eating much, or staying hydrated.  Since she has suffered an eating disorder, it's a fine line between encouraging her to eat and letting her make, hopefully, good decisions.
tummy time


On Friday, she went back to her doctor, and he prescribed a blood glucose monitor so she can keep track.  She's been doing better with eating small meals and keeps a bottle of water with her at all times.

In the meantime, little Eli is growing, eating and eliminating very well.  He sleeps between 2-3 hours at a time, takes 2-4 ounces of milk at a meal, and just being the sweetest baby ever.

Saturday and today, they've packed him up and gone over to J's house for the day.  I'm not thrilled about it, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to it.  I expect D and baby Eli will be living with him full-time within the next couple of months.  On one hand, the house will be quiet again, but on the other I do worry about how they will manage, emotionally and financially.  I'll do my best to butt out...not only is it time they figure this out but I think doing so will either strengthen or break this relationship.  Mind you, if there is at any time a concern that Eli is in any way in harm's way, I'll use all of my resources to ensure he's kept safe.

Hanging with my babies
This is a bit of a downer post, but these thoughts have been boiling in my head for days.  I know that if I were to express them to D and J, they may decide to keep Eli from me, and I love this little guy more than I could have imagined.  So I'll bite my tongue, be there when they need me, and hope for the best.

*****
We're getting snow again this weekend, and it's been bitterly cold -17C with windchills near -28C.  I'm so tired of winter!

Time to get back to my chores, there are clothes in the washing machine, floors need to be washed, and bathrooms to be scrubbed.  Since I've no baby to hold and the curling doesn't start for 90 minutes, I've got no excuse!

Have a great week everyone!

3 comments:

  1. MY dear, though I have not gone through this, I am a Mom 3 times over and I know what all you go through when the baby is there. He is precious and dear and You know how to handle the parents. It is amazing what we are capable of doing when we have to. Me...I have had to have my oldest here three times for recovery and rehab after critical surgery even though I am a million years old...I was given the strength to do it. My love for my children--- tho they are men, is as strong as ever. I LOVE seeing both the babies in your arms and I have to say, holding your own black and white baby up there just makes my heart smile as well as my mouth. XXXOOO to you and the two babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be worrisome for you with your daughter's boyfriend in the situation he's in. Hopefully, he has learned his lesson and will shape up with a child to take care of, though I get the feeling you don't think that will be the case. But you will do what is necessary for your daughter and grandson, that is very clear - and thank goodness for that!

    I love the last two photographs especially. The 'tummy time' makes it look like Eli was sitting up and then fell instantly asleep. I envy babies - and cats - the ability to sleep anywhere. It's wonderful to see the cats with Eli. It's now accepted by science that familiarising a child with pets early in the child's life will strengthen his immune system. With three cats in his family, Eli should be invincible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, you've had an eventful time of it, and not in a good way. I hope J is able to straighten his life around and be a *good* dad to his son, whether or not he and your daughter stay together. I also hope your daughter will do whatever is necessary, get whatever help is necessary, to be as healthy in every way possible. For her own Self and of course for the sake of her son.

    Love the baby pics; Eli is a sweetie. Sending good thoughts, with purrs from the boys.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!