Saturday 4 March 2017

He's here, he's here!

Eli arrived about 12:22 p.m. on Thursday, March 2.  He shares his birthday with Doctor Seuss! I'm sure we'll be reading "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish" together very soon.  It was one of my kid's favorites, so I had it memorized...I wonder how long it will take before I know every word again.

More importantly, here is Eli at about 10-15 minutes of age.

There was some initial concern that he might have some difficult with breathing, it was pretty quickly clear to all of us, that it wasn't going to be the case.  

He had no problem, letting us all know he wasn't happy with the cool temps and bright lights of this world.
I am totally enamoured of these little feet. He is a bit pigeon-toed due to be squished up in his mom, but she's been working his feet and two days later it is far less noticeable.

He weighed in at 7 lbs. 14 oz. (3570 grams) and measured 19 1/2 inches in length.  

His eyes are blue, and I expect they'll stay that way, as both his parents are blonde and blue-eyed.

This photo was taken later in the day after his vitals were taken, he was given some Vitamin B12 and got his eye drops.  The nurse wrapped him up like a taquito, bringing his little feed up towards his chest.

I guess it was calming for him, but it sure didn't look very comfortable to me.


He and his mom stayed in the hospital for about 48 hours after his birth. She needed a bit more care as she needed several stitches, and he needed some suck training.  D is feeling better and he's figured out what he needs to do.

I haven't gotten any photos yet today.  When we arrived home, D went to have a shower, while I held my grandson and watched a little curling.  I made her some lunch (she did not enjoy the hospital food, at all, at all), and now she and Eli are having a well deserved nap.  

So far, none of the cats are too concerned, even when he cried a little.  They have all come to see him while I was holding him (thankfully one at a time), gave him a sniff or too and settled done for some petting.  Of course, they've all checked out the car seat too....I expect I'll find one or another curled up in it having a nap at some point.

Eli has definitely made himself at home in my heart.  He's sort of a gift I didn't know I wanted, but now he's here, I can't imagine my life without him.  He's perfect.



3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you all, Eileen, such a joy. Welcome, Eli! It certainly doesn't look, from the pic, that he would have had any problems with breathing, with his lungs. LOL.

    P.S. I can't imagine how having your feet tucked up toward your chest could be comforting! Imagine if most adults had that kind of flexibility! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Great news! Boy, does he looked miffed in the first picture. I suppose I would be too if my world went from 98.6 degrees to 70 or so (Fahrenheit). And those little strait-jackets they put babies in would drive me bats.

    But he's here and he's safe, and under your roof. What a week this must be for your family - your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WELCOME dear and darling, precious and healthy baby Eli! I am so glad to see you here and I hope to see updates all along. Welcome home to your momma and grand momma and...the cats!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!