Wednesday 11 October 2017

Enough Already!!!

This is a post with much whine (no cheese) so if you feel the desire to pass by, go right ahead.

I had a lovely Thanksgiving weekend and with a short work week ahead, all looked well in my world. That is, until yesterday morning.  I woke up with a headache which is never how I like to start a day.

But I figured I'd power through, took some meds, a shower, dressed and got ready for work.  As I went out to the garage, I thought perhaps it wasn't a good idea, but I had a meeting booked with part of my team so after a few minutes of uncertainty I headed off down the street.

I made it about half way to work before I had to pull over.  I'll leave it to your imagination, but suffice to say I'm sure a few of my fellow commuters were a little shocked by my quick exit from the vehicle.  Once I felt up to it I headed back to the house, called my boss to advise I wouldn't be in, texted one of my staff to let the others know, and headed back to bed.

I slept for a few hours, then got up - with my headache feeling worse.  I attempted some additional meds, with food and within 20 minutes all of that lost.  That pretty summed up the rest of the day....lots of sleep and occasionally try to have something to eat or drink...I even tried an anti-nausea drug...nothing stayed down.  When I wasn't sleeping I was curled in a ball on the bathroom floor or writhing in pain on the couch.  

I seriously thought about having my son take me to the doctor, but I figured once the headache dissipated I'd feel better.  It took until nearly 10 p.m. before I felt any real relief.  I was certain I wouldn't be able to sleep but by 11, I was fast asleep and slept until nearly 5:30 a.m. 

At that point, I was still feeling wobbly on my feet and definitely dehydrated.  I now have a fool proof method to lose 3 pounds in one day....just not one I'd recommend.  I decided to test my tummy with a sip of milk and it stayed down, hallelujah!!!  I called into work to say I needed another day, I felt like I'd been hit by a Mack truck, every part of body ached (except my head, thank goodness).  

I napped for another hour or so, then got up and got a little breakfast, just peanut butter toast and a glass of milk.  I've spent much of the day tucked in my bed, watching multiple episodes of Flipping Vegas, and Flip or Flop (various locations), reading and cuddling with the cats.

The older I get, the more difficult I find being ill.  When my children were young, either I never go sick or I simply powered through it.  There was no one else there to help so I had to manage.  To be honest, I don't think the cats would have been fed last night if my son hadn't been here.  I could barely move between the bed and bathroom, and I suspect the smell of the cat food pate would have been more than I could have handled.

And being sick twice in less than a month is too much.  I haven't quite kicked the mother of a cold I came down with shortly after my trip. I'm feeling beaten up, hence the whine - I just want to feel normal again.  

Okay, enough of that.  Tomorrow will be a better day.  Not least of all because I have Friday off, so I'll only be at work one day this week. I'm thankful I have paid sick leave (lots of it that I won't ever use or be paid for); I'm grateful my son was here to help, and the cats made the best napping buddies. 

If you made it this far, thanks for listening!


3 comments:

  1. Ugh, ugh, ugh. :-(

    There's probably some major bug going around now, a few people here have been sick, but not quite like that. Or was it a migraine? I've been sick to my stomach a few times over the years with those, but not an entire day.

    Anyway, I hope you're feeling MUCH better today! The boys send tons of healing purrs.

    Oh, as an aside, the bus driver this morning told me that her doctor recommended Midol of all things for bad headaches. She said Tylenol 3s did nothing for her migraines, but Midol helped. I'm actually going to pick some up today, because I'm prone to bad headaches, and when I get them, not even a combo of Tylenol and Advil works. Nothing works. So I'll see if this does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like one heck of an illness. What could that have been? It doesn’t sound like a flu but it had some elements of it. And it came on so suddenly. About the only good thing about it is that it didn’t come during your cruise. And you have paid sick days - which you should use! (At my work-place, we don’t have paid sick days; either you come to work sick or stay home and lose money.)

    It’s Thursday now, so I hope today you are feeling back to your usual self - but take away off, anyway. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH man...you probably picked up something on the cruise and it took hold really strongly now. You need to take care of YOU. You sound like me and most others though...you'll power through regardless but it's not worth it. Sometimes you just have yo lie down and wait to get better! Let your three nurses help you recover. You sound as though you have gastroenteritis.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!