Wednesday 6 February 2019

What am I doing?

What have I learned since I retired?  There still aren't enough hours in a day...and yes, I'm aware it's been less than a week.  Although it is early days, I'm finding the days flash by; certainly more quickly than the last days at the office.  

The cats are still waking me and expecting their breakfast by 6:30 in the morning.  Some days I wake up even earlier on my own and I don't bother trying to go back to sleep as I assume, wrongly as it turns out, that I can always have a nap later in the day.  But I'm so busy during the day I don't have time to nap!  So the cats and I are tucked up in bed by 9:30 or so each evening, I watch the news or read a chapter of a book before putting out the light.  I'm asleep in moments and sleeping better than I have in months.  I do so love not having to wake to an alarm clock!

What's been keeping me busy are all the things I would have liked to get to, or do more often, if only I'd felt I had the time, energy, and inclination.  I've started another de-clutter of the house, working my way through the basement and now onto the upstairs.  Of course, I'm doing this with an eye to moving out of the house, so things I kept in the last round (about two years ago??? maybe) I'm now ready to dispose of.  I sorted through my books and have three boxes ready to go to a charity book sale.  I'm down to a single shelf of books!  These include a few favorite novels that I've read over the years, and will read again, a few gardening books, and a couple of do-it-yourself guides. I suspect I'm going to need those as I prep the house for re-sale.

I've been knitting and crocheting too!  It seems every time I sit down, I pick up a piece to work on.  I've made two pairs of slippers, a pair for my daughter and a pair for myself.  These are knitted with two strands which make them super cushy and warm.  D's old house tends to have cold floors on the main; I'd bought her a pair of slippers but they fell apart in two weeks so I decided to try making my own.  This was a really easy pattern and I didn't bother putting the pompom on the front.  I used a bulkier yarn for hers, but mine are holding up well and wash up like a charm. 

My next project was this crocheted bag. It was easy to make as well, and I had it finished in a few evenings.  I'm planning to sew a liner for it, that's the material on the right - it's actually cream colored, the lighting in the sewing room is poor and I used my cell phone camera.  I found simple instructions on the internet for making a bag, which I'll then hand sew into the crocheted bag.  I'm thinking it will make a great lightweight bag to take on the next cruise to carry my towel, lotion, clips, and a book for the beach.  I'll put in a pocket as well to hold my phone and sea pass card. When it's not in use on a cruise, I'm sure it will come in handy for shopping as well. 

Next up on the needles is this sweater for Eli. It's a pretty basic pattern, though I would have preferred to knit it in one piece as I'm still learning how to sew the pieces together in such a way that it looks good.  I'll have time to research the proper technique, and figure it out, as I'm making it in a size 4.  He's into a 2T or a 3 right now - it should fit him in the fall or next spring.  

The yarn I'm using is a variegated blue, teal, purple, grey and bit of black.  I just have to finish the sleeves, one is partially complete, and I'll be working on putting it together.  I'll share a photo when it is complete. 

I need good light to knit, so I only work on the sweater during the day.  In the evening I've been knitting up a few dishcloths using the cotton I used for the bag.  These are such a quick knit, I can finish one in an evening.  D has already put in her dibs for these two, so I'll keep making them until I run out of yarn as I could use a couple and C will need some when he moves out.  

In addition I've washed curtains, scrubbed down the kitchen cabinets and started tackling closets and storage spaces.  First up was the storage room off the laundry area, where I sorted Christmas and other decor, went through my bin of wrapping paper and bags, and identified old electronic items my adult children have stored in there (who knew) that can be taken for recycling.  Broken items were tossed, and paper products went into the recycling bin.

On Tuesday, I had SaskTel in to connect my internet to infiNet- their newest fiber optic network purported to provide 4 times the speed I had previously.   Last summer they had trenched in the cable throughout the neighbourhood, and this year they want everyone switched over by spring.  As I am away for a couple of weeks in March, I agreed to have a worker out yesterday to do the install.  He was here about 3 hours, drilling and pulling wires, and installing the equipment.  I'm not certain I notice any difference but my son did a check and assures me this is much better than the service we had.  

While the technician was here, I wasn't able to have the television on or use the internet.   I turned up the radio and took the time to sort through my desk - I rid myself of old pens that no longer work, organized my container of nails, screws, and picture hangers, and sorted through cards and envelopes.  Oh my, I have a lot of Christmas cards.  One full box was set aside to be donated to Community Living, and I got rid some older cards that didn't seem to have envelopes to match.  I also came across several envelopes of photos that I had found in my parents' home and old albums.  That reminded me I had found a box of old photos in my bedroom closet (packed in with several photo frames).  My next task was sorting these photos to share with family.  For my uncle and cousin, I wrote a card and enclosed the photos, and I'll mail these later this week.  The others are for my children and my brother.  

I've also been cooking, a lot!  It's much easier to put together a meal when you have time during the day to decide what to make.  I think C's been really enjoying coming home from work to a hot meal.  I've wanted it too, as we've had snow almost every day this week, and I've been out clearing the driveway and walkway for 20 minutes or a half hour each time.  AND it's cold out there!  Tuesday was the warmest day, with a high of -23C (-10F), and windchills of -35C (-31F).   Brrr!!!

Despite the cold I joined some former co-workers for coffee on Monday morning.  There were six of us and two spouses at the table, with lots of conversation, none of it about our prior workplace.  One of the group was leaving this week for Puerto Vallarta, another at the end of February to Vegas, while one of the couples is off to Jamaica, and in March one spouse is off to Australia with her mom, while I head to my cruise.  Travel was definitely a popular topic.  Of course, the weather was also on everyone's mind.

Next up, is a short visit with D and Eli.  They will be here Thursday and spend the night before heading home on Friday.  D has doctor' s appointments to attend to, so I get to hang out with my favorite little guy for a few hours each day.  He is getting to be a real stinker...she posted to FB today:

When your toddler is doing something wrong so you start counting “One...”

And they finish with “Two...”


In the exact tone of voice you use...

His second birthday is coming up in just a few weeks.  I think the terrible twos have arrived a bit early!  In any event I'm sure we'll have fun.  I certainly won't be leaving him on his own for any length of time, I don't need a repeat of the lotion poured out onto the bedroom carpet on this visit. 

Life as a retired person is pretty darn good!  Now if this darn weather would just warm up enough to allow for time outdoors I'd been even happier.

Have a great rest of the week everyone!




5 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been very busy and very productive! Somehow I can't picture me being motivated to do a thing when I'm retired, which won't be good for my mental health. I've an eye on joining our seniors association, though, as they offer a lot of interesting classes, trips, etc. I've been tempted to go in on a day off sometime this spring, just to speak with someone in person, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile spending the money to join now, while I work full time and don't have that freedom and time to take advantage of all they offer.

    Anyway. Have a great visit with Eli and have fun with all your projects, the decluttering, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying life! Just remember, every single thing you bring to the Island will cost you money to move....so make sure it is worth it. If you keep saying that to yourself the de-cluttering process is so much easier. And if you pay movers by the pound even more. We moved ourselves so it was just what would fit in a 1 ton but still - we ended up buying new furniture here as it just made more financial sense except a couple of much-loved pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved when I retired. Cleaned everything even in the night because I don't/didn't have to get up. Cooked....saw work friends for breakfast lunch or super, ...just all kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for retirement and doing what you want to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that's how I'd be in retirement: busy, but loving it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!