Monday 10 June 2019

Bits and pieces

It's currently Sunday morning, a beautiful sunny day here in Saskatchewan though we did have a frost advisory overnight.  Seriously!  I've checked my tender plants, potato vine and impatience and all are looking good.  I think I can safely assume the micro climate in the yard is warmer, likely because of the urban setting.  Those who live an the edge or outside the city may not have fared as well.  

I've been out for a short walk this morning, over to the local Walmart to pick up evaporated milk, gelatin and almond milk.  The first two ingredients were needed to make up a mango pudding.  I've had the mango in my freezer for sometime, I think at least a couple of months.  If/when the house sells I plan to leave it behind so I've been busily trying to clean it out and get accustomed to using just the refrigerator freezer.  I'm down to a few loaves of bread, a couple of frozen pizzas (which don't fit in the fridge freezer), a few packages of perogies, and a bit of meat.  On the other hand the fridge freezer is packed because I picked up more chicken and pork chops at Costco this week....I have to quit doing that!  But the price was right and we both enjoy these BBQ'd.

To use up a bit more of the mango I bought the almond milk to make smoothies.  I added 1/2 cup of strawberries and a half a banana to 3/4 cup of mango, and about the same amount of almond milk (I was limited by the size of my glass) and used the hand immersion blender.  I'm quite enjoying the taste, it's not too sweet, and the mix of fruits goes well together.  I occasionally find a strawberry seed or a bit of mango pulp but I'm guessing that's good fiber. :)

Speaking of food, I met my friends C, K & T last evening for dinner at a nearby Fatburger.  I've never been because, frankly, the name turned me off.  According to the wall board the name came about because of the juiciness of the homemade burgers.  Was it juicy?  Yes and very much like some homemade burgers as it tended to fall apart.  I had a regular Fatburger with all the toppings, lettuce, tomato, mayo, onion, mustard, ketchup along with my choice of Swiss cheese.  I don't think I'd do that again as the burger was incredibly messy and I probably dropped half the toppings onto my plate...and some on my shirt too.  I also ordered the fries but only ate about 1/3 of them.  C and T hadn't ordered any so I shared with them and K finished then off.  Would I return, probably but not for awhile.  My "mom" burgers are just as good in my mind and a heck of lot cheaper.  Mind you, the meal wasn't as much about the food as it was having a visit with the other three. Even though it is pretty much a fast food joint, we were there for a good 90 minutes eating and chatting.  I walked to and from the restaurant as it is only a 10 minute walk from the house.  Can't say I walked any of my dinner off!

It's later in the day now; I've spent most of the afternoon in the sun room with the cats.  Between the birds, my book and crocheting, it's been a very relaxing afternoon.  I did take a half hour or so and work on the sewing project, a shirt for Eli.  The front and back are together, the front facings are in and the collar is pinned and ready to be sewn on.  But I'm bit stymied at this point because it just doesn't look right to my eye. I'm sure the pattern is correct and I'm probably reading the instructions incorrectly. In any event, I'm taking a break before I baste it on, then will decide.  

I tried the mango pudding this evening and tossed the entire thing out.  The recipe called for mango pulp but it should have been pureed and strained before I put it in.  And the gelatin didn't set the way I thought it ought to.  Perhaps my water wasn't hot enough or I didn't stir it enough?  No idea but between the texture and the runniness (speaking of looking odd I checked the spelling and Google says this is correct), I just couldn't bring myself to eat any more of it.  I had planned to take some to a good friend who is going through a difficult time as I know she likes mango pudding...but I'm not putting her through that.  Yuck!

*****
I didn't get around to finishing this post last night, so will continue blathering about my mundane Monday.  We've another showing this evening at 6:30 this evening so much of the morning has been spent cleaning and tidying.  I've washed, dried, and put away the breakfast dishes, tidied my bedroom, cleared the wastebaskets and taken out the trash, wiped down the bathroom counters, started laundry, and swept both the kitchen and living room floors.  Outside the containers have been watered, and the bird bath and feeder filled.  Next up is to vacuum the entire house, finish the laundry, wash the kitchen and bathroom floors, and straighten up the sun room.  Perhaps I ought not to have relaxed as much as I did yesterday afternoon!

However, at this rate, I should be able to get everything done by mid-afternoon.  Then I'll have time to continue reading and crocheting, while enjoying the sunshine.  

We had a couple of cooler days, but this week should bring more seasonal temperatures. Perhaps even a bit of rain, which we certainly need.  I watered both the back lawn and the front flower bed on Saturday with the hope the rain would follow.  It didn't.  I guess I should wash my car...that would probably do it.  

Off to start the vacuuming.  Have a great week everyone!







  

5 comments:

  1. Hope the showing went well, having a house for sale will keep you on your toes! I like Mango but we rarely get any that are just ripe either they are over or under ripe. I know nothing about sewing other than it is a skill I do not have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be keeping busy between keeping your house cleaned, crocheting reading and testing new recipes. I laughed when you said you tasted the pudding and threw it out! How many times I've done something similar, you don't need to know!! haha
    I will try your smoothie though, with cream rather than milk. I love the 'fat' that offers. I always had frozen strawberries, mangos and other fruit in the freezer but don't right now. I need to go shopping! Your shirt for Eli looks fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the mango pudding. It sounded tasty, though.

    I agree, the shirt looks fine to me too.

    Good luck with the showing! The constant cleaning and tidying would be exhausting, IMO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to smile about your effort to eat the freezer empty. That was something we did each summer in Florida in anticipation of Hurricane season. Too bad about the mango pudding not turning out. You gave it a good try. Good luck with the showing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad about the mango pudding. It sounds like it could have been a marvellous dessert. Leaving things to set, getting the ingredients just right... I could never do it, and admire those who can. From previous entries here, I know that not succeeding with a dish is not what generally happens with your efforts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!