Thursday 20 June 2019

Thankful Thursday

No, the house hasn't sold...though I've had a few more showings.  But I am thankful today.

You might be wondering why I'm sharing a photo from the front window - it certainly doesn't look like much. But I'm excited because we're finally getting rain.  Since yesterday afternoon we've had over an inch of rain with more falling as I write.  It has been so dry here, even while other parts of the province have been drenched, the rain has bypassed the city of Regina.   The soil here is a heavy clay and as it dries out, the particles shrink and create cracks in the soil.  It also can affect foundations, driveways, and sidewalks due to pressure that is exerted as the clay shrinks and swells.  I've noticed a lot of noises in the house this spring, and I know it is due to the ground shifting. So far I haven't seen any signs of cracking, with the exception of one that's been here before we moved in, but it is worrisome. But the laminate flooring in the living room and hallway is showing the impact as well as seams have separated and a few pieces are starting to lift.  I'm hoping with the rain that some of these minor issues will resolve themselves.  In any event, I'm happy and thankful to see the rain.

My bird feeder is barely visible through the tree growth but it's there and the birds and the squirrels continue to enjoy the feed.  I went out yesterday morning to refill the bird bath and the feeder and noticed the grackles were making a lot of noise.  I happened to turn towards the fence on the right and there was a little bird face looking at me between two fence boards.  It appeared to me that it may have landed awkwardly on the fence and had slipped between the two boards.  The poor little thing was struggling to lift itself but couldn't do so.  I went and got my garden gloves and a jacket with a hood (in case the adult birds decided to dive bomb me), went into my neighbour's yard, and was able to grab him/her enough that it was able to fly away on its own.  I'm thankful that I went out at the time I did, because I have no idea how long it had been stuck in the fence, nor how long it could have continued to struggle.  

This final photo has nothing to do with my list of things to be thankful for, but it does illustrate how wet things are.  I am so happy to see the rain.  

Yesterday I had the flooring estimate done for the carpet in the basement and my master bedroom.  The price came just a couple hundred dollars less than I had guesstimated so that was good.  But what I was truly thankful for, was a comment from the salesperson.  I mentioned that I'm having difficulty selling the house in part because of the cat odor.  He said (no word of a lie), "I wouldn't have known you have cats had you not told me".  I told him he'd made my day!  I had another showing yesterday afternoon, and spent the morning cleaning the carpet and spraying it with Febreeze.  I know some people are more sensitive than others but I keep doing what I can to make the property presentable and attractive for buyers.  

I do have much to be thankful for, and most especially this little guy. He sure makes me smile! 

I'm off to Melville for a short visit tomorrow as his mom has a dental appointment.  I had planned to go next weekend for Canada Day but have changed my plans as she is suffering from the toothache.  I'm thankful that in retirement I can be flexible in my schedule...especially when it means I get to spend time with Eli.

Have a great weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Aw, poor little bird! I'm so glad you rescued it!

    Maybe people really couldn't smell anything in the house, but saw litter boxes and decided to be p*ssy about your having cats (no pun intended).

    Enjoy your time with Eli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you saw that little bird and could get him back in the air again. Feels good doesn't it? I always ask company if they can smell my cat and so far so good. I use an automatic litter box and it does a grand job.
    Is Eli working the phone? My they learn early. Such a cutie/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for a bird rescue! Hope the house sells soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're getting a goodly amount of rain, but I wouldn't mind a bit more. Excellent work on rescuing the bird. He was probably exhausted. I hope whoever buys your house continues feeding the birds (and squirrels).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, it hardly quits raining here! Thank you for rescuing that poor bird. That was very kind. I also wanted to say that since you are good to keep the boxes clean and the cats aren't in the habit of having accidents on the carpet and furniture...someone may be been ultra ultra ULTRA sensitive. Don't despair unless you hear it a good three times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!