Tuesday 25 June 2019

Weekend wrap up

Not a whole lot to share since my last post, or at least I didn't think so, until I started writing! Then this post kept getting longer and longer. 


Eli - checking for rain, look at this dirty little feet. 
Last Friday morning I drove out to Melville to visit my daughter and grandson.  D had been experiencing a toothache for a week or so and had reached her limit.  She was able to get an appointment with the local dentist for Friday afternoon.  I arrived about 10 a.m. and after a trip to the local Canadian Tire for play sand, she headed to bed for a nap while Eli and I played outside.  I had brought the sand box with me, and he was quite excited when I opened the bags of sand and filled the box.  The sand had been sitting outside the store, so was quite wet but that didn't bother him in the least.  When we were ready to go indoors, I took the hose and cleaned his hands and feet a bit.  (He's much like his grandmother that way, he'd rather be barefoot!)  

I stayed the night as D was still in a fair amount of pain, though it was lessened once the tooth was removed as it was abscessed.  The next morning I left around 9 as I'd forgotten my phone charger and had plans to meet a friend who was driving in from the Saskatoon area.  She wouldn't be able to get in touch if the phone wasn't charged.  Good thing I did as I was home and the phone in the charger for only a few minutes when she called.  She was leaving for Regina and let me know she'd be in town in a couple of hours.  We agreed to meet at a nearby Perkins.  This was convenient for both of us, as she was heading out to Manitoba after lunch.

We realized we haven't seen each other in 2 years!  We have, however, talked on the phone many times.  After catching up we got down to the business of planning a our girl's trip.  She and I have been talking about getting away together for awhile and this October we'll make it happen.  We've picked our dates but haven't yet settled on a particular destination except that we know we're going to B.C. to one of the mineral spas.  Yesterday I had a call from her and I shared some research I've done thus far, and it was decided our first choice might not be the best option.  So back to the internet for more research.  I've created a spreadsheet outlining options for accommodations, including pricing, distance from the pools, and amenities, as well as nearby restaurants and shopping.  I'll refine the spreadsheet adding alternative destinations and when she's in the city on Thursday we'll meet again to make some decisions.  I'll be flying to Edmonton to meet her, but will wait for another seat sale to book.  Or I might use my AirMiles points though no decision needs to be made just yet.

Sunday we had another showing that was a little more promising than any other, though no offer came of it...yet.  This was a young couple with two small children under 3  They live in a rented townhouse and this would be their very first home.  This is also the very first and only house they've looked at, so no preconceived notions coming in.  Plus anything else they look at, if they do, will be measured against mine.  They both really liked the house due to the proximity to the school and the little girls loved the little playhouse out back and the toys I have here for Eli.  They were in the house for well over a half hour so the kids had time to play! Best of all, neither they nor Curtis could smell the cats.  Go Febreeze! 

They haven't yet been to the bank to pre-qualify for a mortgage though so I'm not certain they aren't looking a little beyond their means.  My agent seems to think they'd qualify and indicated he'd be working with them on that.  


Look at this cutie.  He and his brother were dumped on the side of a highway outside of the city.  My nephew and his girlfriend were on their way to the camp they will be working at this summer and spotted them.  Of course, they brought them to the farm.  The first little guy, now named Rider, has found his home with them.  The second, now named Whistler, is likely going to live with a friend of theirs.  Lucky pups, because it could have been a much different story!

I told my brother I hope the losers who dumped the puppies have something awful happen to them.  Best guess we assume they are about 8 weeks old.  


Later this week, my friends K and J will be returning from the States where they have been visiting friends and doing some sightseeing in Virginia.  K and I have plans to meet for lunch on Friday and catch up.  In retirement, my social calendar is a heck lot busier than when I was working.  I guess, in large part, that is due to not being around people all day.


One final photo and I'll sign off.  I finished sewing Eli's shirt and took it to him last Friday.   The little stinker wouldn't let his mother put it on him so I'll have to get a photo of him in it another time.  It is large, as I made a size 4, he's currently in a size 3 so he should get some use out of it.

I tried using the button-holer on my sewing machine and could not figure out what I was doing wrong despite reading the manual and watching various You-tube videos.  So I gave up and hand sewed the buttonholes.  They aren't perfect, but as my dad would have said, "A blind man riding by on horseback wouldn't notice the difference."  

I've more (different) material to make shorts for him but haven't cut anything out as yet.  Instead I'm working on crocheting a border for a blanket that one of D's friends knitted for Eli.  It will fit a single bed and is multi-colored, red, yellow, blue, and green.  That will keep me busy for few days yet!  I did finish a pot holder using some scrap cotton yarn, nothing special, just something to keep my hands busy.

Have a great rest of the week everyone!




8 comments:

  1. I know you had a great time with him. Also nice to catch up with a friend along the way. Why is it we let so much time go between visits with those who are really important to us? Or maybe I am the only one who does that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're full of news and "adventures!" You've taken to retirement like a duck to water, as the old expression goes. And you're very organized, with the spreadsheet on resorts! I have two co-workers who do that too, but alas, I'm not so organized or "together".

    Those puppies....! I, too, hope that whoever dumped them (those precious faces!) is repaid 10,0000 fold in kind, that Karma comes back to bite them on the a&&.

    Fingers crossed re: your weekend showing, I hope it pans out into a good offer and sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How on earth could any human being dump those adorable puppies. Such a blessing they were found by caring people. Your nephew is a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People can be so inhuman. Those pups are adorable and so very lucky your nephew found them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this great time you had and you are about to have on your Girl's Trip. Seeing Eli was fun and I love dirty little feets! My brothers and I used to go barefooted all of the time and we were dirty when we came in at night. Sure wish I could knit. Once I attended a class...there were too many people in there really and most knew how to knit even though it was for those who hadn't a clue. The instructor finally got to me...said do this...do that...for a couple of minutes and went off to talk to the knitters. I won't forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss one post and I miss everything! I had an abscessed tooth once, and it was not a pleasant experience. I had a fever from it, if I recall. Thank goodness your daughter's tooth is gone. My best friend I haven't seen in years, and likely will not, but we talk on the telephone regularly. I'm glad you were able to see your friend.

    And those poor pups - well, not poor anymore. The right people found them after the wrong people abandoned them. Losers is right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People who abandon animals are so terrible, unfortunately you don't need a license to have a human baby or perhaps there would be way less stupid people on the planet

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mum was English and always used to say "A blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it."

    Puppy dumpers=assholes, glad they'll end up in good homes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!