Saturday 22 August 2020

Heating up

Come the middle of January, when our temperatures will surely be frigid, someone remind me of this week. We had heat wave warnings for most of the week; it was uncomfortable to be outdoors for very long, and even the nights didn't cool off that much.  Daytime high temperatures ranged from 30-37C  (86-99F).  Normally we don't have a lot of humidity but this weeks it's been quite high, especially early in the morning. Since my tolerance is -25C to 25C (-13F to 77F) so this has been a bit much for me.  

I did get out for a walk early on Tuesday morning.  I was away from the house for about an hour, and in that time the temperature increased by 5 degrees.  Yikes! It was going to be a scorcher and even the geese were sticking to the shade.

A bit of a rant here, I took care to walk around the birds to let them have their space.  Even when I stopped to take a photo, they stayed put.  The next walker wasn't as kind; she clapped her way through them so they all got up and moved out of her way.  I don't understand the need to frighten the birds.  Oh well, to each their own.

There was only one of the cormorants present.  I watched for a little while, it kept flapping its wings and holding its wings in this position.  Trying to catch a breeze to cool off, perhaps?

There isn't a whole lot of water left in the creek, but there were a few ducks feeding that day.

Usually I'm happy with the natural life I find on my walk, but not so much with this one.  Grasshoppers are not a fave of mine, they damage crops and are just plain icky when they jump at me.  

That afternoon I had another visitor in my yard.  I initially thought it was a foam toy, and pushed it with my foot, it moved and I jumped!

Here's looking at you...



I tried a Google search, and couldn't figure out what it was.  So I posted the photos on FB and my cousin's daughter immediately responded.  It is a sphinx moth caterpillar.  I wouldn't touch it; when my son arrived home, I asked him to pick it up and move it to a nearby plant where it may finish off its life cycle.  It's a pretty interesting looking caterpillar, don't you think? (Still creepy crawly though).

Best of all I had a little visitor on Wednesday.  D and Eli arrived shortly before 8 a.m. They left early because she did not want to drive in the heat of the day.  We took him to the park around 9, and after 20 minutes he was ready to return to G'ma's house.  
Where did Eli go?                                                          Why there he is!!!


We had a busy day indoors and although Eli was yawning, the little guy was still awake when they left for the airport at 10 p.m. D texted when they returned home and said they had a good drive, with very little traffic at that time of night.  J is here until the 25th, so I'll have another visit next week.  I am so grateful they live close to me, and are part of my bubble.  I know that several of my readers aren't able to have this contact with their adult children and grandchildren, and I can only imagine how difficult it would be. 

We had a brief break from the weather overnight Thursday into Friday, and even a little rain. After a few household chores, I had thought I might go for a walk, but the lazies overtook any good intentions and I spent my time watching television and reading blogs, and playing on my computer.  By the time noon came around the temperature was reaching 27C (81F) and I decided I'd stay put.  It only got more heated from there.  I spent the afternoon crocheting and watching old CFL games...even one that Saskatchewan lost. :(  In the evening, there was more hockey.

Saturday morning, I knew I needed to get up and move.  After a short conversation with D, I finished up my coffee and headed out the door.  I walked down to the pond, and then circled around the condo units to walk over to Walmart to pick up a few items. It was actually a longer walk than I normally take, but not nearly as picturesque once I was out of sight of the pond.
The pelicans and the cormorants were in their regular spot.

When I arrived home, I put away the few groceries, and went out to water the containers.  The lawn needed mowing and when I finished that task (less than 10 minutes) I sat out and read while I watered the lawn, and then the front flower bed.  By 10:30 I was back in the house as the temperature was rapidly climbing. At noon we've reached 31C (88F) with at least another few degrees to go.  You all know I'll spend the rest of the day indoors!

On that note, I'll sign off for the week.  Take care everyone and stay well!









8 comments:

  1. You have no idea how fortunate you are to live close to your grandson. Our visits are FaceTime visits but I am so very grateful for that technology! I can't imagine being remote without it.
    Welcome to our summers though we think 88 is a cool day!
    Your photos are just lovely. TheHub and I are spending several days at the lake place next week and I look forward to seeing all the water birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it has been so uncomfortable for you. Those are pretty normal temperatures in my neck of the woods during the summer months. We had some nicer days early this week, and now it is back to HOT!
    You sure have some pretty scenery where you live. Yes, the bugger is creepy looking, but it will become something beautiful. Amazing isn't it? I saw what looked like a wooly worm this week on the front porch but is was super bright yellow! Have no idea. I used a stick and moved it to the ivy patch.
    Glad you got to spend time with family.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cormorant pic is terrific! Ick to the caterpillar. I like the fuzzy black and orange ones, fuzzy is cuter. I'm glad yours was tucked somewhere safe, though, to continue its journey through life.

    Have a great week with cooler temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been hot here, too, the kind where you have a shower to feel clean and are grimy and clammy again half an hour later. I am counting the days until autumn.

    I think you are right about the cormorant: he's trying to cool off. As for the walker clapping to disturb the birds: some people figure that they are lords of the planet and other species should move or die. It's how the Earth got into the mess it's in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in Florida I was told that cormorants spread their wings like that to dry the feathers.
    That bug is interesting looking with the decorations.
    Hope it cools down for you. For me anything under 90 is a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some hot temperatures. that lady disturbing the geese makes me want to phone her in the middle of the night so she has to get out of bed!!! LOL To each his own but good grief!
    I don't like wormy things either but it is fascinating to see the markings on these little caterpillars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so little Patsy, it was at least 4 inches long! Definitely enough to creep me out. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my stars! 4 inches LONG!?!? Ewwwwww. But like you I would have laid him somewhere to continue his journey. My area , now, has something the pest control man calls Asian Roaches. EWWWWWWWW! Those things are like Chevy Vans parked on the floor when one comes in from the woods surrounding me. They are huge! Like Florida Palmetto Bugs flying roaches)as they are called. They are not house insects. They come in on produce etc. But awful for certain!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!