Wednesday 17 March 2021

Oh happy day!

First off, Happy St. Patrick's Day!  May the blessings of each day be the blessings you need the most. - Irish blessing.

You're being treated/bombarded with a mid-week post because I'm too excited to wait until the weekend to share this news.  I got my Covid-19 AstraZeneca vaccine yesterday!!!!  It was unexpected, I truly thought I'd have to wait for the opportunity until April sometime.  But with the vaccine not recommended for over 65's*, our province opened it up for 60-64. Here in the city, the health authority opened a drive-in clinic, on a first come first serve basis. On Monday, it was only for 64 years old, but as time went on, they lowered it until the entire age group could attend.  I got a news alert around 11:30 a.m., quickly got ready to go and headed across the city. 

I was in fairly lengthy line-up by 11:50 and received my dose about 3 p.m.  After the shot there was a 15 minute wait in the parking lot to ensure I didn't have an adverse reaction - I didn't.  I never had to park in the line-up, as the vehicles kept moving but the loop took us through and around the parking lot, past various buildings and then a couple of switchbacks before we reached the building where the vaccines were being administered.  I'm pretty sure I've seen every square inch of the property.

There was sign here that said 90 minute wait from this point in the picture on the left. Note the porta-potties! But it only took 10 minutes to make it to the next sign that read 60 minute wait.  It did take close to an hour between the first sign and when I reached the building.  Inside there were six lanes set up, with three stations in each row for the vehicles.  When it was my turn, I pulled up in the lane, gave the nurse my health card, answered a few questions, and waited for the jab.  It was over in mere minutes and I was on my way to the parking lot for the brief stop before heading home. 

I waited to post this until morning, in case I had any kind of reaction.  There was no immediate reaction, in fact that evening I couldn't tell you where exactly in my arm I got the shot.  It wasn't the least bit sore. This morning, if I push on my arm I can find a little tenderness but that's it.  I'm one of the lucky ones as I know there have been others who haven't had it as easy.

I was excited when I got my vaccine yesterday, and as I told the nurse, I think it's because there seems to finally be an end in sight to this pandemic.  While things won't change immediately or even in a few months, and I certainly won't be giving on masking, social distancing, and washing my hands a lot, the potential for a shift back to more "normal" times is there.  It all adds up to a real sense of relief.

What a blessing!  For those who haven't yet had the chance to be vaccinated, I hope it's available to you soon. 

*An announcement by the NACI - National Advisory Committee on Immunization yesterday that the vaccine is now approved for those over 65 here in Canada.

11 comments:

  1. Concrats on getting your vaccine, that is great. Here in BC we are waiting on Mom's age bracket to open next (78) as they are doing the over 80s right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to get it. I have had both shots now but have not stopped being overly cautious about being around people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I was listening to something on CBC Radio 1 this morning about the AstraZeneca vaccine, and it's not the vaccine itself, it's something so far unknown within the person (genetic? physiological?) that's causing the blood clots and other severe reactions in some in various European countries. The person being interviewed was hoping that this would be figured out quickly so that doctors would know how to treat any similar reactions. I don't think I would get it if it were offered to me right now, just because there is a history of blood clots on Mom's side of the family (her mom, she herself, her younger sister, and I'm not sure about her older sister). So I would be leery for myself, but I do think it's safe for most people. Well, you take a chance with any vaccine, which is why they make you wait!

    Anyway, I'm please for you, I think this is a 2-shot one, yes? Do you have an appointment for the second one?

    My dad just emailed me (out in BC) and he called today, has the first shot on Monday the 22nd (he's 81). I'm pleased for him too!

    Take care and stay safe! We won't be able to do without masks and social distancing, given the variants floating around, but this is a great first step!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got you shot and that the process was fairly efficient. Like you I felt nothing and was actually grateful a day later to have a slightly sore arm. I was beginning to think I had gotten nothing till that happened as I never even felt the needle. Now you can relax your mind a bit if not your precautions. Feels great doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI! I am so glad you got your shot. I got mine too! Mine was Moderna. MY arm is fine...a faint headache and a tough of blurry vision but it happens. I'm fine as soon as I woke this morning! You did GREAT! Oh- and thank you for your response to me earlier. I have complete respect for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! That is the best news of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news!! I get my first shot on the 25th-pfizer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah!! Good to hear you had no reaction! I am having a sleepy day today. It is a step in the right direction, I wish everyone would get their vaccinations:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah! It IS encouraging to receive a vaccination. You are right: there is an end in sight. As Churchill said after Alamein: "It is not the end; it is not even the beginning of the end. But it may be the end of the beginning." I think we are actually somewhat past that point. Bringing out the vaccines was a big victory - though plenty of hard slog remains. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got your vaccine. There is an end in sight.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!