Saturday 17 September 2022

Cool and quiet

The weather has definitely turned to autumn. The photo on Wednesday was actually taken mid-morning after it warmed up several degrees. And yes, the thermometer is measured in Fahrenheit. We've been overcast with occasional light rain for several days and it doesn't warm up much during the day. While the house feels cool, I haven't yet turned on the furnace but I have had to wear socks! I've been using the oven to make dinner and baked a cake one day in a effort to bring the temperature up a little bit. Normally at this time of year I'd open up the sunroom - it helps to warm up the rest of the house but without sun it hasn't been nice enough to do so.

I did go for a walk Wednesday morning as I wanted to check out the creek and pond. As I entered the park I spotted the tree that seems to be the first to change color every year.

The thistles have gone to seed.

It was quiet at the creek; I only saw eight ducks in total.


There were far more geese at the pond, but far less than I've seen in years past. I have to wonder if, due to the heat we've had this summer, they haven't delayed their departure to the south. I'll have to ensure I do my walk more often.
My childish nature came out when I spotted this goose with it's butt in the air. 
I was watching for the red-necked grebes and found one at this end of the pond as well. I think it's one of the young ones from this year due to the mottling on the feathers.

This shot was a lucky one, as this bird was just resurfacing after a dive. I think it's a cormorant because it doesn't have a red neck like the grebe. I haven't seen the cormorants this summer at the pond but they've been their in the past.

Then I was excited to spot a marbled godwit on the edge of the pond. I was able to get fairly close before it spotted me and flew off.

I made it back to the house just as the rain started. Perfect timing. That afternoon I went to my stitch and chat group. We were joined by someone new to the group who came to check it out. P had moved the city just a year or so ago. She didn't bring a project with her but stayed to chat and said she'd be back next week. There are a few regulars who haven't yet turned up - a couple are away and another is working. For a small group we certainly have no problem finding things to talk about.

With the exception of Wednesday, I didn't leave the house for errands or shopping. Good for the wallet, though I did make on on-line purchase. I've finished knitting the tank top and I've blocked it before I sew it together. Since I tend to procrastinate, that might happen in a week or so. :)  I've finished three toques/beanies as well. The counted cross stitch is still in early stages and I've already found a mistake I made. Argh! I've pulled another skein of yarn for another toque/beanie and have started the little crocheted ghost. If you can't tell, I've spent a lot of time sitting and not a lot of time on much else.

I have to say September baseball is a lot of fun to watch. Though I do wish the Blue Jays were a bit more consistent; one game they look amazing and then another game they tank. Last year they were out of the play-offs by a single game, so I'm hoping they can pull out a wild card spot this year. 

The Riders finally got rid of the player I was so upset about, but they too are not having their best season. This isn't unusual for the team throughout its tenure, but the last few years have been better than most. This week, the QB and his wife welcomed a son, so the commentary was the need to win the game for the little one. It didn't happen, as the opposition managed a last minute drive to score a field goal for the win. I'm pretty certain the baby neither knew nor cared about the outcome.

Curling has started in earnest, though there is no televised events. YouTube and Facebook are my options for watching the live streams.. This weekend there are both men and women's events - lots to watch. For the moment I'm catching up on blog reading, some PVR'ed television, with a cat on my lap wanting attention. It looks like the weekend is going to be much the same as the rest of the week.

Have a great week ahead everyone!


18 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! I am reading this as I sit here in an air conditioned house wearing shorts and flip flops. We rarely have to turn on the heat until late October at the earliest. Usually it is well into November before we need it..
    Have a lovely fall day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Actually I was wearing flip flops too. I hate wearing socks and unless it is really cool I won't put them on.

      Delete
  2. I love all the bird pics, especially the godwit, as that's not a bird I've ever seen in our region.

    As for procrastination, mine is tallied in years, not weeks!!!

    Have a terrific weekend and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I think I'm close - the tank top I finally finishes was started about three years ago in a different iteration.

      Delete
  3. You took great photos. That is a great area to walk! Your stitch and chat group sounds wonderful! So nice to get back together I bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, that is a real compliment coming from you. Your photos are always amazing.
      It has been lovely to get together with these women. I hadn't been attending that long before the pandemic started, but I missed them.

      Delete
  4. Love the pictures. Yor weekend sounds just lovely to me!!!!!
    I am sitting here with a kitty curled up next to me.
    Although it isn't chilly here. Anything but. Going to be in the 90's for a few days then back to mid 70's. That is my happy spot.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I'm quite enjoying the quiet of the weekend.

      Delete
  5. Cool here too! That is a pretty tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to smile at the duck butt. So glad you are cooling off. We did for a week but the heat is back and we have a hundred in the future for next week. Sigh.
    Love seeing those colorful leaves. Looking forward to that also--eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone else gets my sense of humour. I'd take some heat now (after complaining about it earlier), it's quite chilly here today, and getting cooler next week. I hope we some better fall weather soon.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you really enjoy watching those sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the games, especially when my teams win. :)

      Delete
  8. I love how you are so observant of nature and share that on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Until I retired and started walking my area of the city I had no idea there were so many birds and other wildlife living around me. I'm happy to share.

      Delete
  9. It has turned cooler here quite suddenly, especially noticeable at night. I don't mind it too much; the trees here have barely turned colour.

    You have some good nature shots again, I see. The godwit reminds me of a snipe, with that bill. I wonder if they are related.

    And your phrase "I've been using the oven to make dinner and baked a cake one day in a effort to bring the temperature up a little bit," reminded me of how I've tried using the excuse that I'm EATING a cake to bring the temperature up, but it never works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL John! Perhaps you need a cup of hot cocoa with that cake. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!