Saturday 10 September 2022

Highs, lows, and in between

What an emotional week it has been, with all that has been happening at home and abroad. While I was never concerned about my safety in light of the search for the mass murderer, the thought of what the victims (those who survived) and the families who lost loved ones were going through was never far from my mind. 

When Queen Elizabeth II passed on Thursday, it was another blow. I don't consider myself a monarchist, however she has been a steadfast presence in the lives of Canadians for decades, and is the only British monarch in my lifetime until now. She always demonstrated such grace, such poise, no matter the situation and I admired her greatly. While she was often the voice of calm through times of trouble and sorrow, she also had a wonderful sense of humour. One of those fun moments is a favorite of mine, when she and Paddington Bear met for tea in a video ahead of her Platinum Jubilee this spring. She truly will be missed. 

This is also the week my grandson had his first full day of kindergarten. I got to Facetime with him after school to hear about his day. What a joy that was! D had a call from his teacher the following day and she said he did very well. He was able to sit still when needed to in class, he drew a picture and colored (both activities that are not his favorites), and for the most part, he behaved himself making more green choices than red ones. He's growing up so quickly and I treasure all of these firsts. 


Back to regular programming, our weather has turned. It is most definitely fall weather now. Originally we were forecast for heat this week, but by Wednesday the temperature had dropped significantly and this morning, there was frost on the roof of the neighbour's house. By Friday morning (a cool 3C/37F), most of my tomato plants were starting to look a little worse for wear so I pulled the plants, and picked the larger tomatoes and  peppers. I hope that the green tomatoes will ripen here in the house; those that are ripe will be processed at some point this weekend.

I was actually out of the house four days this week. Tuesday was a visit to Value Village, Wednesday I joined the stitch and chat group at the library, Thursday was grocery day, and on Friday I ran an errand for my daughter. At Value Village I found several counted cross stitch kits, not in the craft area, but tucked in on a shelf of office supplies. Definitely not where I would have thought to find them. I picked up two larger kits, and six smaller ones - all for $17.50! The one large kit had a original price tag of $60 while the smaller ones were marked between $10 and $15. I've started one of the smaller kits - a sunflower - and will share a photo when it is completed. 

There were four of us at the stitch and chat group. It was so nice to see the others, as it has been over two years. I did talk to S once but that was a year ago. Sadly, I learned her husband passed away of cancer last winter. He was just beginning his treatment when the pandemic started. There wasn't a whole lot of stitching - we mostly chatted and caught up on one another's lives. I'm sure next week things will be more "normal", whatever that is.

My grocery run didn't take long - just a few needed items and some sale items that I couldn't pass up.  I've quite appreciated not having to buy potatoes, tomatoes and peppers for the past few weeks. Who knows, maybe I'll pass on growing flowers next year and go strictly veg. 


My knitting is coming along - I've finished the lace pattern portion of the front of my tank top and if all goes well (meaning I work on it), it should be finished this weekend. In the meantime I finished sewing in the ends of the three cowls, and knitted up a child's toque/beanie from the remaining yarn. This is the knitted cowl; the crocheted cowls are simply infinity scarves and not nearly as cozy. I may keep this one for myself. 

I started another toque for the stitching group as I don't have to pay much attention while chatting until it's time to decrease. So if you're keeping count, I have three projects on the go at the moment. AND then there is the sweater I started for Eli a couple of months ago. I'm telling myself I'll get back to that one when the tank top is finished. But, but, but.... Pinterest sent me an notice including the cutes little ghosts for Halloween. I have the supplies so that might happen instead. :)

I expect it will be a quiet weekend - no need to leave the house, and there are various sports events to watch. Including curling! There is an event being held in Alberta this weekend, and it is being live streamed on You-tube. There are three draws today, along with two football and baseball games. At some point I know I'll have a curling game on the laptop while I watch football and/or baseball on the television. While knitting. We're having leftovers for dinner so I don't even have to think about that. 

I should have enough time before all that starts to get the tomatoes cooking down for sauce, so I'd best get to it.  Have a good week ahead everyone!

20 comments:

  1. It really was a very emotional week for much of the world, for various reasons.

    I'm fairly indifferent to the monarchy, think it's rather an outdate institution that brings in tourist dollars for the UK, but I couldn't help but cry at news of the Queen's passing. I know she had been frail, but it seemed to be so sudden. I guess when you're a monarch, your health issues are kept under wraps as much as possible. I understand that, but then it doesn't prepare people for the death, either. I find it a bit sad, too, that a woman won't be on the throne for at least a few generations now. I think it was good for young girls/women to see a strong female leader, even if that leadership wasn't political. And the Queen certainly lived a life of service and duty, the likes of which we will not see again, IMO. Truly the end of an era.

    I love your knitted cowl, so pretty and cosy! The thought of wearing one makes me break out into a sweat (I have the a/c on in the house at moment), but very soon we'll be chilly too. We've already had a few mornings with low double digits, where I've donned a sweater over my tee-shirt before going out.

    You got a great haul of peppers and tomatoes, that's terrific! Nothing better than one's own produce. :-)

    Have a great weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I'll need the a/con a few more times but the mornings are sure cool. Just 6C this morning!

      Delete
  2. I have always been a fan of the Queen. She was an amazing woman in all respects. Loved her sense of humor.
    That cowl sure looks warm and I'm glad you are finally cooling off so that you can actually think of wearing one.
    Know what you mean about meeting up with groups. I did also this week and it was so nice to get caught up and to laugh a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a treat to meet up with the ladies at the stitching group. This is a weekly group so I get to do it again in a few days and am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. Frost? Yikes - gladly it will be a bit of time before that happens here.
    Yes, so sad about the Queen. Such a regal and classy woman, I did admire her.
    You garden did quite well. I always pick the green tomatoes at the end of season and they ripen inside.
    Nice you got to catch up wit friends. I love the knit cowl! That looks so cozy.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. It's September so frost isn't unusual at all - in fact, it seems a little late this year.

      Delete
  4. The death of the Queen hit me a bit harder than I thought it would. I am still shaking my head over the suddenness of the whole thing. She sent a letter to the reserve expressing her condolences just the day before she passed.

    Wow, that was a great deal on those cross stitch kits, but I wonder why they were with all the office supplies??

    Got cold here but no frost thank heavens. I did move my lemon trees in for the night and will do so again tonight. Supposed to drop almost as low here in Estevan as last night.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the strength she demonstrated in the days leading up to her death.
      I have no idea why they were with the office supplies and I'm not even certain why I looked at the shelf. It was a lucky break for sure.

      Delete
  5. Let’s hope this is a quieter week. We need one! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it was quite a week for you, and for many of us. I'm glad Eli is doing well in school. That's a big challenge for children, a big change for them and, really, there's not much that can be done to prepare a child for school Fortunately, most adapt quickly, and Eli will make many new friends.

    It was sad for me when the queen died. I dreaded it with each passing year. But I think Charles III will be a fitting successor.

    I like the colours of the knitted garments: colourful but not startling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I think Charles III has had a wonderful mentor and teacher, and if his first speech is any indication he will do well.

      Delete
  7. It certainly has been an emotional week! I must admit to being a great fan of the Queen. Great selfie of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always admired the Queen also, she is just 'always' ever present in our lives and now it will be different.
    I love the cowl but love the picture even more! You have to keep that one! :)
    A tip I learned for green tomatoes if you want to rush them along, put them in a brown paper bag. Haven't tried it yet but may need to if my little ones slow down on the ripening process before we leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty!
      I have heard of using paper bags or newspapers for ripening fruit and use it for pears most often. But I may have to try it with these last tomatoes. At the moment I'm battling the little fruit flies with apple cider vinegar and dish soap. Rotten critters.

      Delete
  9. That is a really cute cowl! I didn't watch much of the Jubilee but I did see that video clip with Paddington and thought it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOsh here I am! And I enjoyed every line!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!