Saturday 22 October 2022

Running around and catching up

It's been a busy week, with lots of time spent away from the house. The week started on Monday when I met a friend for breakfast. She had driven her daughter back to Regina and spent Sunday night, so we met before she hit the highway for home. We didn't have a long visit but had time to share photos of the grandkids (she has three), catch up on family news, and the social activities we've been involved in. She has a much busier social life than I have, being involved with seniors community in her small town, she's currently part of the committee that runs the building and sets up the various activities.

On Tuesday, I made a run to Value Village and Salvation Army thrift stores to look for a winter coat for my daughter. I scored at S.A. with a Columbia jacket, for just $22.50 after my senior's discount. It should keep her cozy and warm this winter. Her several years old one just wasn't going to cut it another winter and the weather is about to turn.

Wednesday was vaccination day. I had booked a flu shot for 10 a.m. at the pharmacy and arrived to find a number of walk-in patients in line. However, since I'd booked on line I was first to be called. The nurse asked if I'd had my bivalent booster dose - I said no, because I was waiting for the Pfizer to be released. She suggested I go ahead and get the Moderna as she wasn't certain when the other would be received at the pharmacy. So, after getting my first shot, I got back in line as a walk-in and waited about 20 minutes for the next vaccine. 

I went home with two bandages, one on each arm. After a bit of lunch and a great chat with my friend K (whose birthday was that day), I headed over to the stitch and chat group. By the time I got home shortly after 3 p.m. I was starting to feel very tired. When C arrived from work, I told him he was on his own for dinner. I had some soup and was in bed by 7:30 p.m. and asleep not long thereafter. According to my Fitbit I slept for 9 hours and 14 minutes!

Thursday morning I felt alright, though my left arm (Moderna vax) felt as though someone had punched me very hard. There was a wee bit of tenderness in the other arm too. I had errands to run for D, and I was out of the house again by 9:30. I did some banking, stopped at the doctor's office for some paperwork and made a trip to Costco for some household items she needs. While I was there I found a few pieces of clothing for Christmas gifts for D and C. 

I had ordered items from Amazon last week, and the book for my brother and Eli's gift have arrived this week. Looking at my list of gifts still to be purchased, I'm more than 50% complete. The tough one is my SIL; there is nothing she really needs and anything she wants she can purchase for herself. I'll try to find a book she might be interested in, and the niece and nephew both get gift cards. That just leaves small gifts from Santa, and whatever I decide my son is giving his sister and nephew. :) Those will wait until next month as my budget for gifts has reached it's limit this month.

Friday was a much quieter day, spent at home catching up on housework, knitting, and watching curling, baseball, and football. The sports didn't start until noon, so I had lots of time to get things done in the morning. It was a cool'ish day with the temperature reaching a 12C.

Today we're expecting rain to start later in the day, with snow to follow. Yuck! I noticed the birds were hovering around the bird bath and feeder; with the expected weather, I felt they needed both. I'm pretty sure in the 1/2 hour since I filled the feeder they have pretty much emptied it. 

No photos from this week, except this oldie that I received this morning from my high school best friend. I'm on the left, my dad in the centre and A on the right. We're standing in front of her parents' garage in the small town we grew up in. I've no idea why her mom took the photo and I'm pretty certain I've never seen it before. I'm guessing we were between 16-18 in the photo as those were the years we were the closest. We've since drifted apart - I'm not even certain where she is living these days, but I'm sure her family, children and grandchildren keep her very busy.

Time for some lunch and an afternoon and evening of sports watching, and finish up the sleeves for a baby dress I started a week or so ago. Maybe I'll continue on Eli's sweater too as I got back to it earlier this week. 

Have a great week ahead everyone!



25 comments:

  1. Sounds like an accomplished week. Neat old picture. You should look her up - you are a good detective!!!!!
    I got a couple small Christmas gifts this week too. To add to baskets.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's the one who reached out to me Cheryl. But we live very different lives and I sincerely doubt we'd ever be as close. Hearing from or contacting her every so often is sufficient.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you didn't have much effect from the Moderna vaccine. I took that, rather than wait for the Pfizer (my other shots had been Pfizer), and the next day I felt as though I'd been tossed down an elevator shaft. Funny how it hits people in different ways. It sure hit me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to say, no sense, no feeling. I haven't had a major reaction to any of the vaccines. I think, my reaction was the result of both vaccines at the same time.
      Sorry, you got beat up by it.

      Delete
  3. I know they say it is perfectly fine to take both the flu and Covid shots the same day. I am too weenie to try. Glad you had no serious side effects. I plan to put a week between my shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought to do the same Patti, but I was there and the nurse was available and it just seemed more convenient. I have to admit the 9 hours of sleep was more of a benefit than a hindrance.

      Delete
  4. I will have the flu shot shortly. The Covid booster will have to wait three months post Covid. Glad you didn’t have too bad a reaction. Hope I am as fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be making our flu shot appointment at the beginning of the week. Hopefully getting it before we head to the city to visit with Kris for a bit.

    Sounds as if you have had a busy week but got lots done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend making an appointment. It sure beats standing in line.
      Hopefully the snow will have disappeared by the time you travel.

      Delete
  6. I remember when I could find good winter coats at SA for $10. Inflation has even hit the thrift stores, I’ve noticed.

    I keep forgetting to get in for my flu shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter was the one who reminded me about the flu shot. She got hers the week prior.
      Our Salvation Army is still pretty reasonable, but Value Village has definitely raised its prices.

      Delete
  7. We had our flu shot a week ago and we had the Pfizer booster on Friday. No side affects at all, glad to say. GD and GS in law both have covid at the moment. GD is very sick as she has bad asthma and lung problems, GS in law ia asymptomatic. Of course we are all concerned about the baby but so far he is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope your GD is feeling better soon, and baby doesn't get infected. Tough time for her to be ill with a little one.
      Glad to hear you had no side affects from the vaccines.

      Delete
  8. You had another busy and productive week, as usual! I always feel like such a lazy so and so when I read your posts. LOL.

    I'm glad you didn't react too badly to the Moderna vaccine. I won't get another Moderna one, I reacted badly (more than just flu-like symptoms) last December. So if I get a bivalent vaccine, it will be Pfizer. I haven't yet had the flu shot, either, though will get that when I can.

    Take care and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful that my reaction was mild, and I suspect most likely due to having received both doses on the same day. As I said to John, Mom used to say, no sense, no feeling. :)

      Delete
  9. B and I got our boosters on Friday and only have sore arms which I am thankful for. I am jealous that you have 50% of your holiday shopping done. About the earliest I start is in November but it is difficult because it seems everyone in the family is very difficult to find gifts for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it is getting harder to buy for certain family members - they need less and their interests are expensive. At some point, I'll likely become my Dad and just give cash. :)
      Glad you didn't have a reaction to the boosters.

      Delete
  10. Now I only buy a token gift for my sons and DILs. I have found they appreciate the green stuff much more than things I would pick out for them. I only have to buy actual gifts for TheHub and Pip.
    I am getting the Covid booster this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you miss out on the reaction too.
      I think I'll be moving towards your way of shopping soon.

      Delete
  11. I have a little of my Christmas shopping done. Need to get on the ball! I'd rather have, as the saying goes, taken a beating that do any shopping for anything..of course, everyone knows why. I had to recover physically after all the work of the past several years. BUT I am up and around as they also say around here, and starting my walks again and aerobics. So I may be able to lift my wallet and have strength tto open it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That's what on-line shopping is for Carole! Though are items that I prefer to find locally. Consider the walk in the store your aerobic exercise while your wallet gets lighter. :)

      Delete
  12. Nice to get together with a good friend.
    In that 'old' photo, you and your friend look like sisters. 😊
    You are amazing at getting early shopping done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see and talk to friends this week. I've heard that before that A and I looked a bit like sisters. We tended to dress alike and both wore glasses.
      Hope your travels are going well!

      Delete
  13. Way to go with the Christmas Shopping! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!