Saturday 15 October 2022

Ups and downs, and fair to middling

If you've been around this blog for awhile, you know that I love to travel. My first foray into international travel happened in 2007, when a friend I did an all-inclusive vacation to a resort in the Dominican Republic. While there, we went on a tour of a local village including a tour of a house and a nearby cocoa plantation. By the way, we knew it was a typical Dominican house because it had a sign that read, "typical Dominican house". :) Despite the fact that this home obviously was better outfitted than many it was eye-opening moment for me. I haven't found the photos, otherwise I'd share a picture of the sign.

Trips to Cuba and Mexico followed in the next few years, and then another friend introduced me to cruising in 2011. We did a fourteen day Southern Caribbean cruise, which took us to a variety of countries. One island that stands out for me is Grenada. We walked up the street from the pier to a local Anglican church and the caretaker gave us a tour. The church itself had been damaged by hurricane Ivan in 2004, and restoration was on-going. On the nearby island of St. Vincent, we hopped into a van and were treated to a 'round the island tour by a local. He stopped at various points to allow us to take photos and shared a lot of information about his home island. We live such different lives here in Canada and those experiences provided insight and perspective. 

I was hooked: cruising means unpacking once and waking up somewhere different every morning (sometimes a day at sea). Cruising has taken me to seventeen Caribbean countries/islands, the Bahamas, a couple of Central American countries, a few New England and Canadian ports, several European countries, and most lately, Alaska. There are several locations still on the bucket list. 

When I was still working, I realized that travel may not be an option when I retired due to the associated costs. So, I started saving money and put it in a separate investment account. While the investments have taken a beating in the last couple of years, I still believe I can manage a trip a year until I'm 80...which was the goal when I started the fund. When I'm searching for travel opportunities, I generally look at the itinerary first and price second. Places I haven't been yet are definitely more desirable, but I'm also happy to return to ports that I enjoy visiting. Some people have said that I don't get to actually see these places. I disagree, as I often find excursions that allow me to see some aspect of the island life. There are places that I don't venture out but stay on the ship or near the pier - usually for safety reasons. 

Changing topics, here's a weird but true story for you. In an earlier post, I whined told you that I had misplaced my mom's mitten pattern. I spent a few days looking for it, in containers and shelves, and any bag I might have tucked a project into and could not locate it. On Thursday, I did a quick run to Value Village to find pj's for the grandson. While there I checked the yarn supply...and found some absolutely good stuff and came with three more bags of yarn (about 12 skeins) for just over $12. Definitely a bargain! I wandered around the store and did one more circle before heading to the check-out. As I did so, I found a plastic bag containing several knitting pattern books - the top one was a pretty sweater, and I could see there were at least three or four more in the bag. At $2.50 for all, I picked it up. Imagine my surprise, when I got home and opened the bag, to find a book of mitt, hat and socks patterns identical to the one my mother had owned. The only thing missing are her notes. It was all a bit surreal but oh, so welcome.

One other item of note from this week, was an issue with my credit card. (No I wasn't hacked, thankfully). I always review my statement in detail - it's the bean counter in me - though that wasn't entirely necessary this time. I was shocked at the balance when opened up the account as I had already paid off the cruise portion. I realized the cruise amount had been charged to the card, twice! I called my travel agent, L and she made contact with Princess. They checked their records and could confirm they had received only one payment. So I made a call to the credit card company....the wait time on hold was 2 hours and 57 minutes. I explained the issue to the young man who answered and he assured me that Princess had gotten two payments. I asked him how he could be sure, did he have access to Princess' account? No, but he could see the two charges to my card. Sheesh, that's only one side of the situation. In any event, a dispute has been filed, and within 72 hours the charge had been reversed so I suspect someone somewhere figured it out.

Now, I don't believe the rep from the credit card company that there is an issue with Princess. I suspect, based on the hours long wait time (it would have been four hours or more later in the week - I checked), that there was a glitch in the system and transactions on or around that date were duplicated and the company is dealing with many, many upset customers. I've been a customer of this credit card company for over 40 years. I'm seriously considering switching cards as a result of this situation. As I told the chat rep - if this is due an internal issue, the fact they are not being transparent with the customers is a bad look. Of course, neither the telephone or chat rep addressed that with me. I suppose I'll never know for sure. 

In other more mundane matters, I'm continuing to knit, watch baseball, football, and now hockey. My review of family history is also on the go. The weather has turned down right cool here, and windy. The other day we had gusts up to 90 km. an hour. Almost all the neighbourhood trees have lost their leaves, though my cross the street neighbour's tree is just changing color.

Oh, and before I sign off for the week, the photo on Wednesday is misleading. The silver vehicle wedged in between the two vehicles belongs to my brother. He spotted the car with the wisdom plate - the driver had parked into the next space over, so the brat maneuvered his way into the spot and took the photo. Yes, he's skinny enough to be able to get out of his car door. 

Have a great week ahead everyone!




23 comments:

  1. Oh, good for you finding that error. I have zero confidence in any bank (which includes their corresponding credit cards). We have wasted far too much time fixing other people's mistakes over the years. I admire the fact that you can travel once a year after retirement. You must have great investments. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My investments aren't as good as they were a year or so ago, but I'm hoping they'll hold out for a number of years. I'm a cheapskate too and don't spend a huge amount of money on a trip.
      I was very glad to see the charge reversed. I already pay for two people when I cruise, unless I can find one without a single supplement.

      Delete
  2. Cruising really is the way to go. Your hotel goes with you and the meals are great. I have only been to the Bahamas on a cruise but loved it even though the ship almost left me on the dock.
    Scary about the mix up on the credit card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds like an interesting story. I've watched pier runners before, but I can't recall anyone not making it back to the ship on time. (Though it does happen)

      Delete
  3. I am so happy you instantly found the mistake and even with much prompting - got it taken care of. It is so nice that you are being able to do all the traveling. I have never had a huge desire - other than a few spots here in the U.S. Have never thought much on going to other countries - although I have family that does often.
    It seems this old world is much 'hurry up and wait' today. No one is in a hurry to help us. Glad it is all taken care of.
    NEAT find on the pattern too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much of a homebody...when I'm here at home, but I do love a trip. It's something to look forward to and I know I'm going to learn something every time.
      I can't tell you how excited I was to find that pattern book.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I wish I didn’t love my pets like I do or we’d be traveling more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate Debby, that I live with my son and he loves and cares for the cats (now one cat) while I'm away.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's quite a coincidence finding the pattern. I love when things like that happen - but they never happen in situations that would result in millions of dollars. Have you noticed? The credit card company was hiding a mistake on their end. Princess Cruises doesn't need money so badly that they would lie about receiving two payments; clearly the problem was with the credit card company. And as for your brother, a good joker knows a situation to take advantage of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why, but your comments are ending up in my spam again. Silly blogger.
      It truly was an amazing experience to find the pattern. Heck I'd be happy with $100....that never happens either. :)
      My brother has a twisted sense of humour. It's one of the things I love most about him.

      Delete
  7. Yay! You found the pattern like your mother’s. It sounds like a great deal on wool too.

    You were wise to save as you did for travel. Wise woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. There have been times I've thought about dipping into the fund for other more mundane things but I'm determined to travel as long as I can.

      Delete
  8. That is so incredible about finding that exact same pattern! How wonderful! I like your plan on investing for travel. That's a smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had something similar happen with cheques at our bank. It was the banks' fault, and they knew it when I went in to speak to them. It was annoying when it happened, but they quickly fixed the fault.

    Amazing find on the knitting books. Glad you found the exact same one as your mothers.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding that pattern book was the best part of the week.
      I remember when you had issues with the bank, glad it was resolved.

      Delete
  10. I am amazed at the astounding luck of finding those patterns! That was just as I said, amazing!!! Re: the nightmare with the CC company...oh sheesh. Horrible. I'd change too.

    I was thinking...I believe I have traveled all I want to. I have no desire for anything except perhaps..maybe...Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend and I visited Hawaii several years ago; the island of Oahu. The flights were dirt cheap from Regina for a change - according to K, the pricing was similar to early 1990's. We had a wonderful time, she climbed Diamond Head, we did self-guided walking tours in Honolulu, we drove to the North Shore, visited Hanauma Bay, spent an evening at a luau, and of course, made a visit to Pearl Harbor. So many wonderful memories. If you get a change to go, I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you're still continuing to travel as much as possible. You've worked for it!
    Good job on getting that credit card straightened out. Things happen and we do need to keep an eye on daily transactions and react.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. As you say, sometimes the jello jiggles. :)

      Delete
  12. Glad you found the pattern booklet! Now you will probably find your Moms tucked away safely someplace!
    I think we are past vacations...but I am happy that you enjoy going and it is a good thing you started that account! I will enjoy seeing your photographs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! I fully expect mom's pattern book will show up when I least expect it.
      I'll keep travelling as long as I can, but I fully suspect it will end sooner than I hope.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!