Saturday 29 October 2022

A weather rollercoaster, a birthday, and a short visit

The storm blew in on Sunday afternoon bringing heavy wet snow and windy conditions. It must have warmed up slightly, as we had ice pellets most of the evening. By morning, there was a crust of snow and ice on the driveway. Neither the son nor I had any reason to go out so I left it, hoping it would melt. It didn't. 

We had a bit more snow overnight into Tuesday, and it remained cloudy and cold. I went out to feed the birds that morning and then went in to the dishes and watch the feeder. It doesn't take long for the word to spread - these photos were taken about a half hour after I was out. Not much later, a squirrel showed up for a feed as well. 

I like how the snow settles on the branches of the trees - though I didn't want it stay, just yet. And it didn't.  

My son didn't work on Tuesday either, he'd taken the two days off as he celebrated his 35th birthday on the 25th. His idea of celebration is sleeping late. Not so different from the weekends. :) I generally don't give gifts or cards for birthdays any longer, but do order in dinner of their choice. C chose pizza; I ordered from Dominos where I could get brownies for dessert. When the delivery I told him, "you even got cake!". If you can't tell birthdays aren't a real big deal. 

Wednesday I went for groceries and managed to stick to my list, except for a bag of seedless grapes, and the budget didn't take too big of a hit. At stitch and chat that afternoon there were just two of us. S had a call from one of the other ladies the night before and their household has been infected with Covid. S's neighbour didn't come either and she hadn't had her lunch yet. We chatted and got to know one another for a couple of hours. She was working on a knitted scarf while I working on knitting a Christmas tree. I'll share a photo next week.

Thursday was a catch up day on housework. While I was running a load of laundry, I even got some sanding done in the basement on the door casings. About time! My thought is to finish off the main room and laundry room next week, and then I'll turn my attention to the new room and my son's old bedroom.

On Friday morning I was out the door by 7:45 for my drive to D's. She dropped Eli off at school, and I arrived shortly after to pick her up. We drove into the next (larger) community for a bit.of shopping. Our first stop was Value Village where D found several t-shirts, a few pairs of sweat pants, and a Halloween silicone mold. She's using the latter to melt broken crayons into Halloween shapes. These will go into treat bags for Eli's class. 

Of course I had to look for yarn. And of course, I found several bags. I walked out with $20 of yarn to add to the stash. There was one skein I particularly wanted for a specific project. 

We made stops at Dollarama and Walmart before heading to her home for lunch. A bit of housework was accomplished before we sat down to watch some television and I did some knitting.  We picked up Eli from school about 3:30. He had no idea I was coming. He was happy, but not overly excited to see me. But by bedtime he was ready for some bedtime story reading. AND he slept in the twin bed with me all night...as a result I was awake many times during the night and by morning, he had pushed me nearly off the edge of bed. Time to get up anyway.

I helped D with a couple of things, watched the Home Alone movie with Eli, and did some knitting before driving home this morning. I didn't stop anywhere along the way to take photos but I can assure you that all the snow was gone. Only the shaded spot on my driveway (where I'd piled the snow earlier this week) still had snow on it. We're going to have a warm Halloween. I only have candy for 45 kids so I suspect I'll be turning the lights off early.

Speaking of which, there is football on the television, so I think I'll curl up on the couch and take a nap. Have a great week ahead everyone!



18 comments:

  1. Glad your son had a nice birthday! Sounds like you kept busy. We had a dusting of snow a couple weeks ago - but that is it so far. Not caring to have any more!!!!
    Sounds like you did great on the thrift store.
    What a neat idea your daughter came up with for treats for the kiddos. That is neat! They will love it.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. It was short visit but a nice one.

      Delete
  2. Amazing how effective the bird grapevine is. They sure spread the word quickly.
    Happy Birthday to your son. Sounded like a nice low key day.
    Had to laugh at your restless bed buddy. Bet he slept great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti. Yeah, I think he slept way better than I did.

      Delete
  3. The football game is on the tv as I'm typing this! We are supposed to get more snow on Monday, just in time for the trick or traters. Hopefully not too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awful game - I watched bits of it while keeping an eye on the World Series. Less stressful that way. :)
      We're having lovely weather for Halloween for a change. Hope you don't get much snow.

      Delete
  4. That's way too early for snow, I'm glad it didn't stick around.

    Belated happy birthday to your son, I hope the pizza and brownies were good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. The pizza definitely disappeared quicker than the brownies - I may have to finish them. :)

      Delete
  5. Also from me, Happy belated to C. Yeuch, that snow would have turned me off for sure. We got out on time with only one brief appearance of it. Hallowe'en wax treats sounds cute! Good for D. She's going to be as creative as you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. I would suggest D is more creative than I am, but with a young child she doesn't have as much time to play. :)

      Delete
  6. We had snow last week, but it didn't stay. The temperature has dropped below freezing on only a few nights so far. I'm not looking forward to more examples: snow makes for the worst bicycle-riding conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried to ride a bike in the snow, but I can imagine it doesn't make the ride easy. Let's hope the snow holds off for another month or so.

      Delete
  7. The snow melted here quickly as well. It sounds like you had a busy week.

    I am heading up to visit Kris this weekend, and now I am thinking that a visit to Value Village should be put on my list of things to do. I want to go to the Habitat Restore to see what we can find to help Kris with the many renos he needs to do. Heck we may even find a few things for our renos as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safe travels Jackie. VV can be hit and miss, good luck!

      Delete
  8. Your snow stayed way too long! Sounds like you had a good few days with your daughter and Eli. I recall napping with some of the grands...Makes sleep difficult! You are a trooper to last all night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think I'd have learned by now but I do enjoy snuggling with Eli. I suspect he won't be a willing participant much longer.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!