Saturday 19 November 2022

Did I say quiet?

Thank you to all who sent good wishes to my brother R. I'm happy to report he finally tested negative on Wednesday of this week - that's 9 days from his first positive test. He started feeling better on Monday and continued to improve throughout the week. Remember when I said a 1/4 mile walk was a short one for him. On Tuesday, he and Cola (the dog) went walking for an hour.

The cold stuck with us until Wednesday as well, and as it warmed up we had more snow. Not a lot, but enough to cover the driveway and add to the accumulation on the ground. It's a good thing it is warming up slightly as the Grey Cup is being held here this weekend. (It's the Canadian football league's Super Bowl, but less glitzy). Our team is out contention this year - and were since about July! -  and as a result there are a whole lot of folks attempting to offload their tickets to the game. I suspect it will be a poorly attended game, without local support. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers did win their division and it's about a 8 hour drive so that may help with attendance...time will tell. The other team in the game are the Toronto Argonauts which doesn't attract a large amount of fans because they have two other professional sports teams to cheer for.

This first half of the week was pretty quiet, some housework and more crocheting. I finished off this little gnome on Monday. D reminded me she wanted angels for gifts for Eli's teacher and aides, as well as the principal. That meant a trip to the store on Tuesday to pick up some white yarn as I had used the last of it on my reindeer. (I didn't have a lot). So now I have a large ball of it, to make the angels and maybe a snowman or two.

Then on Wednesday I had a call from D. I managed to get her through that day's crisis, however it spilled over into Thursday. By mid-morning I had packed up a few days clothing and other sundry items and was on the highway on the way to her home. I won't get into details, but she hadn't slept for over 36 hours and exhaustion was clouding her thoughts. I spent much of the day cleaning and tidying, while Eli played and she tried to rest. She wasn't able to sleep much - just too overtired - so when dinner was finished she headed up to bed while Eli and I settled in on the couch to watch Home Alone 2. This series is his favorite and this is the second or is the third time we've watched together.

She did get a reasonable amount of sleep over night, thankfully, while I slept with the wiggle worm. There were more stories with spooky endings. I'd start them off and he would finish them. This child and his imagination. On Friday we headed into the next town to deal with the situation that had caused her such grief. It took awhile but I'm pleased to say it ended well and I'm proud of her because she's taken a step forward that seemed so far away not so long ago.

We did a bit of shopping too, stopping at the Dollar store and Walmart. Eli wasn't in a mood for it, so we stopped for lunch between stores and let him play at the McDonalds. I don't blame him, he'd had to sit and wait for quite awhile during D's meeting. While at Walmart we checked for children's Buckley's cough syrup - there was none on the shelf. The clerk told me she'd gotten 18 bottles that morning, and they were already gone by noon.

I tackled a few more household chores when we arrived home, while D headed out to pick up the groceries and check for the mail. She's awaiting her "Moe bucks" check as I've received mine. These are the bribes prosperity pay-outs that our provincial government is providing just ahead of Christmas, instead of reducing or eliminating the increases of 16.8% and 4% to our natural gas and electricity rates respectively. Can you tell I'm not impressed? Over the long run, the rate hikes will cost households more than the benefit of a $500 one-time payment. 


It was a restless night Friday night, as Eli is coming down with another cold. He and I were in the same bed, but at some point Sheldon (the cat) joined us, and the two of them pushed me out of bed. I went downstairs and slept on the couch but was wakened by the sound of coughing. I could hear D talking to Eli, so I grabbed the cough medicine and a spoon. He settled down soon after that, and was in his mother's bed, so I climbed back into his and slept well until early in the morning. Sheldon kept me company.

Today I've sent D upstairs to get a bit more sleep, while Eli and I are snuggled up on the couch to watch some cartoons (him) and work on Ancestry (me). I've got a couple more household chores I want to do today and I'll work on the angels too. One more was finished yesterday. I do plan to head home tomorrow and will leave shortly after breakfast. I suspect the traffic will be heavier as the day goes on as people head to the city for the Grey Cup.

Remind me to never suggest that things in my life are quiet...

14 comments:

  1. Gosh no, never tempt the Fates.

    I'm glad things have been resolved for your daughter, she's very lucky you are able to support her in person.

    I'm also glad your brother is much improved!

    Take care and I hope the coming week is, indeed, uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I've learned my lesson...at least this time. :)

      Delete
  2. Every time I brag on something - the other shoe drops!!!!!
    Glad your brother is feeling better and that all is resolved for your daughter. Hope wee one doesn't get too sick and that you don't get it!
    Have a great rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. Eli was feeling much better when I left this morning, and so far the only one who seems to have caught it, is his mother. So far I'm just tired but that's to be expected.

      Delete
  3. Glad things are working out better for your daughter but so sorry Eli is revisiting his cough. Sounds like it is everywhere if all the cough meds are sold out. Be well little guy. Good thing she has you to lean on. Now you stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the crochet gnome!!

    It was cold here for about half the week with snow, gradually warming up now and we might actually have a fairly nice few days. Hopefully the game is well attended.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I plan on watching but not from the stadium. My SIL and nephew will be there, but they've scored a box through her work contacts so they will be nice and warm.

      Delete
  5. I love your little Gnome too. I wish i was on your list! Haha.
    You are a very good Mom and I'm sure you are appreciated so much. I love your relationship with sweet Eli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. I had fun with the little guy, he's such a character.
      The gnome was fun to make too. He's hanging out in my kitchen on my tiered tray and makes me smile when I see him.

      Delete
  6. As the saying goes, from your lips to God's ears. I could do with some peace and quiet, as can D. I won't be holding my breath though. Just one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope everyone is feeling much better now and you are getting some well deserved rest. Youngest son is at the grey cup. This is his 18th grey cup in a row that he has attended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. It was an incredible Grey Cup game, lots of fun to watch so I'm certain he enjoyed himself.

      Delete
  8. Thats the way it goes just when you think it is quiet it is not! Glad everything ended well for your daughter....stress is not a good thing. Glad you were there to help her out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I'm glad she doesn't live any further away.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!