Saturday 12 November 2022

Winter plans to stay

My guess is winter is here to stay. The storm that blew in on Sunday left about 8 cms (3 inches) on the ground, and another storm dumped another 7 cms. (2.75 inches) on Monday afternoon. I shovelled both Monday and Tuesday; the photo from wordless Wednesday is the aftermath of my efforts. AND then it got cold! By Thursday morning, I awoke to a temperature of -21C (-6F).  That's more like late January or February temperatures. It didn't warm up much by noon when this screen shot was taken. 

According to the weather forecast we're stuck in this weather for at least two weeks. You know I'll be whining and complaining about it too.

I've bundled up every morning to feed the birds, and the squirrels. One morning I had three squirrels at the feeder and another six Hungarian partridges. The squirrels aren't as afraid of me as I wish they were, and the partridges made me laugh. When I came out of the house, they scooted around the sunroom out of sight. When I'd filled the feeder and back in the sunroom, I looked out to the partridges had raced back to the feeder. Since I know they are around I spread some of the seed on the ground. They do fly, but the feeder isn't set up for that size of a bird.



As a result of the weather I spent most of my time indoors. I didn't go to stitch and chat on Wednesday, but I did get some crocheting done. I'd finished the scarf I was working on earlier in the week, so decided to play with some of the yarn I'd used for the Rudolph. I've finished two of these "cups of hot chocolate", one I plan to keep and the others will be a gift for my brother and his wife. I just need to add the hanger for the tree. I've got another pattern to use a bit more yarn that I'll work on this weekend.

Even though it was cold, I needed groceries so headed on Thursday morning. In addition to regular items, I was picking up supplies for Christmas baking, and the ever needed cat food and bird seed. While it was more than my usual spend, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. There were some decent sales out there and the fridge, freezer, and pantry are again stocked up. Saku (the cat) and the birds should be happy too.

In other news, my younger brother has Covid. His son K tested positive last week, so I'm pretty certain he passed it on to R. While his wife and daughter have had it previously, R has avoided it until now. We've been texting back and worth this week and he's definitely not feeling well. He told me Thursday that the day prior was a 2 and that day was a 2.5 but at least he wasn't in hospital or at work. They live on an acreage, with horses, a dog (or dogs depending on whether K's dogs are there) and two cats. R has continued to haul hay to feed the horses and take the dogs for walks. Normally he runs, but on Thursday he only managed a 1/4 mile with them. That's how I know for certain he was feeling poorly. He has seen a bit of improvement each day, but it's a slow recovery.

When I haven't been crocheting, I've been working more on Ancestry and I've been in touch with a couple of distant cousins. One of these cousins lives in Quebec, where my paternal grandparents were born and raised. She is the great-great granddaughter of my great-grandfather's brother. It's a community I've always wanted to visit, perhaps one day she and I will meet.

On Friday, I started to watch the Remembrance Day ceremonies being held in Ottawa but made it only 10 minutes in before the host of the show annoyed me. She kept asking what people were thinking about. I'm pretty sure I could have answered for all of them - they were thinking about those who sacrificed their lives or health to fight in the two World wars or other conflicts so that we can enjoy the rights and freedoms they fought so hard to protect. Instead I did some laundry and thought about my uncles, Wilfred and Robinson who went overseas in the WWII. Uncle Wilfred was gassed, broke his legs while Uncle Bob contracted tuberculosis. I knew the story of the two of them ending up in back in Saskatchewan at the same hospital. 

What I didn't know until I found a newspaper article is they were both on the same ship and then hospital train that brought them home from overseas. Wilf had written a couple of letters to Bob, addressing the letter to his last post in Holland, and when they were returned to the hospital, the brothers learned the other was there as well. Uncle Wilf was quoted as saying about his injuries, "All I know is that I was hit by something while on patrol New Year's Eve. I've been told that it was a jeep that got me." He never spoke of the war, so I had no idea how his injuries ocurred.

Today I awoke to another cold day, -20C (-4F). The birds were waiting in the neighbour's tree for me when I went out to feed them, and made short work of the seeds. I don't think the squirrels got any this day. Though the sun is shining, it's another day to stay indoors and stay warm. I've got DVR'ed television to watch, I'm playing on Ancestry, and when I get bored with that I'll start another crochet project or work on Eli's sweater.

Have a great week ahead everyone!

20 comments:

  1. Geez, the best of luck to your brother and his family. It sounds like a relatively mild case, but one can't let one's guard down. I hope he is feeling better even as I write this. I laughed at the crocheted cups of chocolate. They're really clever. I've no idea how that is accomplished, but it looks wonderful for winter or Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. R isn't a patient patient but this Covid is definitely isn't allowing him to do much yet.
      The cups were actually very easy and fun to make.

      Delete
  2. I love the little hot chocolate mugs! Your talent puts me to shame but I enjoy seeing what you do.
    I, like you, can't stand when reporters ask stupid questions like that. It happens a lot and is so annoying!!
    Sorry about the snow and cold weather, it is too soon for that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. I don't consider myself very talented with crochet, there are others out there who easily put me to shame. But I have fun trying.
      It is going to be a long winter...I'm looking to forward to getting away for a couple of weeks in January.

      Delete
  3. Geez, that is cold. We got snow and colder weather today. Only got about an inch and the pavement stayed clear as basically it was summer temps just 2 days ago! Evening will be cold - but not like your cold!
    I hope your brother and nephew get to feeling better quickly.
    Love the little cups - too cute.
    Stay warm and have a grand weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I'd be happy to see some melting but the forecast isn't looking promising. I guess on the positive side we'll definitely have a white Christmas.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about your brother and his son. Hope their recovery is quick. We are not done with this disease yet.
    Negative temperatures lose me completely. We hit freezing this AM and there was actually a bit of snow on the ground. Rare in Arkansas. It did melt by noon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti. K is already recovered and back to work, but R tested again yesterday and got a solid positive again. I suspect he'll be off for another week or so.
      We've had snow this early before but it generally the cold isn't as deep or lasting as long.

      Delete
  5. So sorry that your brother and son have Covid. Hopefully it is mild and they don't get long Covid.

    Love those hot chocolate mugs. So very cute and makes me want to learn how to crochet.

    Woke up to -20 C this morning. Much too cold, much too soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. My worry for R is definitely long Covid. He was diagnosed with asthma when he was a teenager.
      I taught myself the basics of crochet many years ago - with your creativity I'm certain you'd have no problem picking it up.
      Definitely too cold, though we've had a wee bit of a warm up overnight. -13C this morning. :)

      Delete
  6. I was thinking the same for us, winter is most likely here a bit early if I don't say so...it could have stayed above zero for a few more weeks...what happened to global warming??? It certainly is not in Minnesota:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy moly, minus twenty this early?!? I feel for you! We are supposed to get snow these next few days. I just hope everyone has remembered how to drive! That first ( well, it will be our second) snow is always a bit treacherous. Take care! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drove for the first time after the snow this week. There is definitely a re-learning curve.

      Delete
  8. How interesting about your WW2 uncles. We have that in common - genealogy! It’s my most passionate hobby that can be exhilarating and frustrating. Here in the states, family members can request copies of their service records. We have my FIL and it’s fascinating. He was in the South Pacific during WW2.

    Boy I won’t whine about our cold temps! That is some serious cold weather. Stay warm; keep toasty and hole up for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, genealogy can be both exhilarating - especially when one comes across new information - or frustrating when one can't find that elusive piece of information.

      Delete
  9. Winter sure has settled in there. It is turned cold here this past week too. Stay warm.

    It is good you have some information about your uncles who fought. You can pass that down through the family! Lest we forget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been able to save the info in Ancestry, and sent a copy to my brother. Since neither of my uncles had children of their own, I'm happy that there are a few of us who will remember. My daughter, I'm sure, will take on the project when I can no longer do so as she is very interested in it as well.

      Delete
  10. Hello! Glad to be here. Enjoyed what you were and are doing, and would have enjoyed doing much the same here myself. Wel, OK. I do different things but I'm busy. That's the good part. :-) I certainly hope your brother starts feeling better soon. What an awful thing to be going through. I have had luck ony once getting into contact with relatives on Ancestry. Only my 6th cousin who contacted ME actually. No one else has ever aanswered my note to them. Nor has anyone ever reached out to me. BUT...happy to be alive and here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Carole! I talked to my brother yesterday and he is feeling some better.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!