Saturday 1 April 2023

Another week and no spring yet

To start, the photo of the deer wasn't from my yard but from my daughter's. She's had a few deer roaming through her yard for a good part of the winter, and they've decimated the cedars that were planted by the former owner. She had her handyman over doing some work in the house this week, and asked if he would cut down what the deer had left. He did, so I suspect the visits will end now. It's sad they were ever there in the first place, and because they are very nearly becoming domesticated - D says they even look both ways before crossing the street! 

I'm just as happy not to see a deer in my backyard. Several years ago, one of my co-workers had a deer find it's way into his yard, and it crashed through a bedroom window and bled to death on his daughter's bed. It was quite the mess to clean up. Large animals like these don't belong in the towns and cities but with the deep snow, it becomes difficult for them to find food in the rural areas. That's part of the reason my brother leaves bird seed in the yard for them.

It's been a pretty quiet and routine week again this week. I did my grocery shopping on Tuesday, and stopped in at the thrift stores. I found two tee shirts at the Salvation Army thrift store, one for me, one for D, and a pair of lightweight pj's for me at Value Village. Total spend for all four pieces was about $15. Groceries were much more expensive than that. 

I'm continuing to work on the flowers for my large afghan. I should finish these this weekend and will start putting pieces together. I'm not entirely sure how many of the small flowers I'll need, so once I have the larger flowers put together, I should have a better idea. Not looking forward to this part of the process, but I knew what I was getting into when I started it. For a break from crocheting I've started another small cross stitch project. 

I've also spent several hours working on Ancestry. It's interesting to see where the branches of the tree take me. My favorite part is finding information that no one else has added - especially those where there is simply a birthdate and little else to go on. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I get a real sense of accomplishment. Sometimes it is a simple as reading through several wedding/obituary notices to identify family members and occasionally locations to input that one piece of info that solves the mystery. Yesterday, from an obituary, I found a  deceased spouse of a distant cousin, which led to a daughter that I didn't know he had. Her marriage information allowed me to to more searching and I discovered she and her husband had moved to the Domincan Republic in 1941 to work as missionaries. They had two children and the family returned to the USA twice, once in 1947 and again in 1960. That is when the trail goes cold, as I can't locate any of the four family members, though I did find a newspaper article that may include the youngest child.

Our weather has been stupid again this week. Tuesday morning was bitterly cold. At that moment I was ready to book a flight to anywhere warm, except my wallet wouldn't allow it. 

Since then we've had some afternoon melting, though the temperature hasn't reached above freezing. The sun feels warm now even if the air temperature isn't. The ground is still frozen so my back yard is mostly underwater - it faces south. With the warmth of the sun, I've been able to open the sunroom. Saku, the cat, has been enjoying his afternoon naps out there, and the furnace only cuts in once or twice in the afternoon. You don't want to be in the basement those days - it's pretty darn chilly! We're supposed to reach a high of 3C (37F) this afternoon, but Sunday is supposed to bring a "wintry mix". Do I sound excited? I'm not.

The seedlings are starting to appear, though I've given up on the petunia seeds I thought I saved last fall. So far, four tomatoes and two marigolds have been transplanted to larger pots, while the peppers (red and green), more tomatoes and marigolds continue to sprout. This week I added cucumbers to the mix - I'm going to try to grow these in containers as well this year. I'll do potatoes as well, but those will wait until the third week of May. I'm not sure why but I'll probably do lettuce as well - the rabbits tend to enjoy what grows before I do. 

Curling starts again today, this time the Men's World curling. The event is being held in Ottawa, which means no middle of the night games! I expect our Canadian team will be in the mix throughout the event. They are very strong, as are the teams from Sweden, USA, Switzerland, Scotland, and even the team from Italy. The latter won the gold in the Olympics last time so they cannot be counted out. Neither China nor Russia are participating, so there are teams from New Zealand and Turkiye in their place. 

I'm off to do a few chores before the curling starts. Then I'll plant myself on the couch with my crocheting and a cup of tea. Have a wonderful week ahead everyone!



15 comments:

  1. Sorry you are still in the deep freeze! Genealogy is fun. You can get a lot of info from obituaries and death certificates. But again, those are only as good as the info people give. Not everyone knows all the correct stuff about their family! Ask me how I know!! LOL
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely truth in the accuracy of the information provided. In my family history, a number of people have added parents to my 3x great-grandmother that is definitely incorrect. Her parents had immigrated to the USA around the time of her birth, and there are written histories of that family from that period that do not provide support that they had a daughter. If, in fact, she was the daughter of the supposed father, it is more likely she was an illegitimate child. In any event, I've left that information in my notes and won't add the possible father because it is impossible to confirm.

      Delete
    2. Someone upped and said my Grandfather on the paternal side was doing or, had done, hard time up in the North...I think NY State. That is patently wrong. Papa passed at a relatively earlyish age and wasn't even living when he was supposed to be in prison nor had he ever left Va. in his life. (all we grandkids called our grandparents mama and papa just as all of their children including my Dad, did.)

      Delete
  2. We have deer in our yard every once in a while; our house s surrounded by forests and trees and gullies, and some other homes. But the deer wander in the yard, nibble a few things and then depart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are interesting animals and very pretty. It just makes me sad to see them struggling to survive a hard winter.

      Delete
  3. Harvey was quite disappointed that Canada lost.

    The deer still come around and now they are nibbling what grass they can find here in the city. The poor things are pretty much skin and bones right now.

    I let our oldest do the genealogy thing, I just don't have the patience for searching things out. He has hit a dead end on our Scots side though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada made up for the loss last night and I expect today will be a good day too. Better to lose a game at the beginning of the event than at the last too.
      I seem to be at a dead end on a number of fronts too. I've been spending more time on more recent information - thinking it will be of interest to the next generations at some point.

      Delete
  4. What a great find on Ancestry. I recently discovered a Wales connection in my mother’s family. All those stories that are lost in time makes finding one such a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly does Marie. And there are some really interesting stories among the mundane.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You and me both, Connie! It's snowing again this morning, though the temperature is just below freezing.

      Delete
  6. You are a busy lady. The afghan will come together beautifully 😍.
    Sorry about the deep freeze, but maybe 3C will feel pleasant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was out this morning to feed the birds - it was -2C and snowing and it did feel quite balmy. Anything above freezing will be wonderful.

      Delete
  7. Yes, it's fun adding to the communal bank of knowledge. I like to think that I've done a bit to spread information, just as others do when I read their books. Here, we just had a big dump of wet, heavy snow. It won't last, as the temperatures are expected to climb, but it is inconvenient while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gotten more snow today, but in our case, temperatures are dropping again so it won't be going away anytime soon. Please do send some warm winds our way if you can. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!