Saturday 15 April 2023

Spring baseball

Life sure has a way of throwing curve balls. This week was no exception. It all started on Monday morning, when my kitchen faucets gave up the ghost. I had noticed some water on the floor when washing dishes the night prior, and after mopping it up had put a bucket under the sink. Everything seemed dry in the morning, but when I turned on the faucet I could hear and see dripping coming from the connection where the faucet is attached to the plumbing lines. I'd been putting up with a slow drip from the drinking water faucet and decided it was time to replace the entire set. The house was built back in 1987, and I'm pretty certain these are the originals.

I did some research on the websites of various hardware stores (including big box stores) nearby. It was astounding to me to find that the big box stores keep nothing in stock - at one there were only two faucets available, and both were ridiculously priced and far too large for my current set-up. The local hardware store is a little further away, but appeared to have multiple items in stock. Off I went, photos in hand, to see what I could find. I was in and out in about 20 minutes with the appropriate replacements. The service was great AND they gave me the contractors' pricing which saved me about 10% overall. They still weren't cheap. I contacted the plumber we used last year during the basement renovations and he was able to fit me in that day (after a cancellation), and by mid-afternoon I had a new set of faucets that function properly. One thing I notice is they are much lighter weight than the old ones so likely won't last 30 plus years but I won't be here then.


I did my grocery shopping that morning too, as the fridge was looking pretty bare. The pocketbook took a hit as a result, but I did get most everything on sale. I am starting to see prices drop with some products to a more reasonable level. An 18 pack of eggs was $4.99 and I got a head of lettuce for $1.99 at the Co-op store. Walmart was over $5 for the eggs and $3.97 for lettuce. I'm so fortunate that I live within a 10 minute drive of five grocery stores (includes Walmart). I check my grocery list against the Flipp (flyers) app, and can price-check between stores as well. 

Wednesday brought another problem. The darned water heater's pilot light had again gone out. This was the third time I've requested service in about 6-8 weeks. Of course, the only time they could give me was between 1-5 p.m., which meant I had to miss out on my Stitch and Chat. The tech showed up about 1:30 and left at 2:57 p.m. I know, because I checked the clock! When he arrived I told him this was the third call, and although he was able to re-light the pilot light easily, I asked him to explain why it was happening. He suggested some part needed to be replaced (don't ask me - coupler something or other I think he said). He told me it shouldn't take long to replace and he would have expected the last guy to do it. I said, there was no way he had, he'd only been here for about 10 minutes and took longer to do his paperwork than to do what he did with the water heater. Just to be certain the tech called the previous tech and confirmed that no, he hadn't changed out this piece.  The current tech's optimism at the length of time required to make the replacement was way off! This water heater was installed in Dec. 2006, and apparently they were made differently than they are now which made replacing the part tricky. At one point, it sounded as if he was rebuilding the darn thing.

It's a good thing I did my shopping early in the week and perhaps even missing the Stitch and Chat was a good thing as my son tested positive for Covid on Thursday morning. He had been feeling off for a couple of days, but had gone to work both Wednesday and Thursday. The positive result was almost immediate and the lines were bold. He's off work until next Tuesday, and I'll stay at home too. I tested last night, and so far I am negative. 

Our weather made a big upswing this week, with temperatures staying above the freezing mark, even over night a couple of nights. There was/is snow in the forecast for the weekend and it has cooled off a bit, but the snow has rapidly melted. I have a small pond in my back yard. There was a welcome visitor in the back yard this week too. 


I haven't seen any others, yet, but the wee nuthatch is back, and the sparrows, chickadees, and juncos continue to eat heartily at the feeder. 

We had snow overnight into Friday, but just a skiff or so on the ground. It was melting when I went out to feed the birds and my small pond was closer to a small lake. It's frozen over this morning but we're supposed to reach 7C (45F) this afternoon. I moved a bit of snow from the larger pile in the back yard with the hope that it will disappear faster.

Today is more Grand Slam curling - there are three draws today, tiebreakers, quarter-finals and semi-finals. The women's and men's finals will be held separately tomorrow. This is the second to last event for this year that will be televised. The final Grand Slam is being held here in the city at the beginning of May. I've bought tickets in the past, but this year I'm planning to watch from home.

I'm continuing to work on my flowers (just two more to complete before I start blocking). I got Eli's sweater blocked and picked up a zipper - I need to get a real tailor to put it in for me. In the meantime I made a toque to go with it. When I'm bored with the flowers I do a few stitches on the small cross stitch project. I've made a mistake early on, but I doubt anyone but I will ever know it so I'm soldiering on.

If I'm not watching curling, I've been watching baseball. The Blue Jays broke the Tampa Rays win streak last night in an exciting game. I checked on the game in between ends so missed some of the excitement but did catch enough to enjoy the win.

Have a wonderful week ahead everyone!

13 comments:

  1. It sure seems household repairs can dribble away our money! It is always something. Sounds like the last water heater guy had his act together.
    Hope you have a great weekend and DON'T get sick!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good Cheryl. I'll test again tomorrow to be certain.

      Delete
  2. I hope you stay Covid free. I had it last month, much worse the second time and it affected my BP which is not regulated yet.

    I bet the sweater and toque are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to avoid it, which means I'm staying away from my son as much as possible.
      I'll share photos of the finished project at some point. :)

      Delete
  3. You're lucky to have so many grocery stores so close. We have few, and most are at the edge of town, because the town council prefers to have an inner city problem. I recall when we had five stores (eg. Woolworths, Kresge's, Zellers...) to buy ordinary items from. Now we have Walmart. And I haven't noticed prices letting up at all. I am surprised that they are, anywhere. I'll hope for it to happen here. And is it just me, or do companies seem to design new items every couple of years, just so consumers will have to buy the whole item each time one piece breaks? Have a pleasant and enjoyable weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have to many options. As for companies manufacturing items that no longer last - absolutely.
      Thanks John.

      Delete
  4. Gee, that was an eventful week, and not in a fun way. I hope your son recovers quickly and that you remain healthy!

    We have quite a few grocery stores around, including Walmart and Costco, and I think if I had a car I'd be more inclined to look for the best deals. But I usually shop at two stores (most of the time) and look for what's on sale that I can use. Of course it would be a lot more convenient if I could get everything I wanted at one store! I'll echo John and say I haven't really seen prices on grocery items come down, though admittedly things are a bit less expensive here than in Halifax. (Example: Bananas are 69 cents/pound here, but 99 cents per pound at the two grocery stores I shopped in while in Halifax last month.) So I guess I'd best not complain...too much!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C's case has been pretty mild - he's slept a lot, but that isn't entirely unusal for him. :) We'll both test again tomorrow as he is expected to return to work on Tuesday. I want to be able to go to my stitch and chat and out for coffee with a friend this week with a clear conscious.
      Not all of our grocery items are seeing reductions - a lot are still stupidly high. I'm not sure what the excuse of the grocery chains is now.

      Delete
  5. It's been unnaturally hot here this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice for you. We've had a lovely weekend, +12C today, +14C expected tomorrow. BUT, we've got a Colorado low that is expected to bring snow overnight Tuesday into Wednesday with as much as 30 cms. of snow for some areas. My city may see up to 12 cms. Yech!

      Delete
  6. I bet it is your thermo coupler. We replaced one on our water heater and I don't know how many on our furnace before we got the energy efficient one.

    The Co-op did have some pretty good sales this week.

    I read somewhere that 1 in 24 people in Saskatchewan have Covid. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I still find myself tiring out very easily.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, that is what the tech called it.
      Stay safe during this storm!

      Delete
  7. The first tech should have replaced the thermo coupler. When we had the resort we were constantly changing them...of course we had eight maybe nine hot water heaters. My husband replaced our faucet last week we had a leak at the sprayer, glad that is done:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!