Saturday 20 May 2023

Getting dirty

When I returned home on Monday from my daughter's I was anxious to start planting my annuals. I probably ought not to have, as the weather cooled on Wednesday and Thursday but the hankering to get my hands in the dirt was too strong. I had left the bedding plants, including my starts, outside overnight Saturday and Sunday; thus I figured they were sufficiently hardened off. 

This will be a bit of a boring post, as I'm documenting the containers and their contents, for my own reference next year. Feel free to skip to the end, if you so choose. 

I first sat down at the patio table, and made decisions as to where everything I'd purchased would be planted. I quickly realized I'd purchased one too many of the osteospermum for the front containers. I was thinking five, when in fact, there were only four needed. I do have five containers in the front yard, three in front of the evergreen and two on the patio. But the round planter out front is always filled with wave petunias. (Apparently, I'm a creature of habit). Oh well, it meant I'd need to find a pot to add the other osteospermum, along with any other extras I found.


The tall containers in back, have the aforementioned osteospermum, an ivy, a calibrachoa (million bells), and finally a dusty miller. Normally I would purchase a basket and split it between the two containers. But wow, are baskets ever expensive this year. I did split a container of the caibrachoa between the four containers. It was a smaller basket, a 10", but I couldn't find the four inch pots when I originally shopped.


Off the patio are two more large containers, containing Osteospermum, creeping jenny, calabrocha and dusty miller. The creeping jenny is a perennial, however I've never managed to overwinter it successfully. 

Besides the five containers I've mentioned, I also planted two hanging baskets, and another container that sits on the front step. The latter is filled with impatiens as it is always in the shade.  

This hanging basket has a couple of marigolds that I started, and a bronze coleous. Normally I tend to plant coleus where it gets less sun, but this particular plant tag said it like full sun. I'll give it a go and see how it does.

I don't think I've told you the story of the cat hanger. One morning, shortly after I'd spent some time with my friend C, I happened to look out the front window and noticed this ornament hanging from the shepherd hook. At the time, there was no hanging plant. I quickly sent a message to C, because I thought perhaps she'd dropped it by without letting me know. Her license plate reads something along the lines of CtCrzy - she collects all of sort cat items, and has two cats of her own. She said she hadn't done it but it was cute - I agreed and it's still a mystery, now with a basket containing couple of marigolds and a dusty miller.

I took a break for lunch and headed back out to play some more. The vegetables were planted first along with marigolds, and then I turned my attention again to the annuals. The three large containers on the deck were planted with a persimmon supertunia. Unlike waves these will stay more compact, and are supposed to require less dead heading (removal of spent flowers). In the same container are bacopa and sweet potato vine, both of which will eventually spill over the edge of the containers. 

I had a few marigolds remaining, a single wave petunia, and that lone osteospermum. The wave petunia was added to a hanging basket, along with the sole ivy I was able to overwinter. To be honest, it isn't looking particularly healthy now that it has been outdoors so it may eventually be overtaken by the petunia. The osteospermum and marigolds found their way into three additional containers, along with one of my seedlings that was marked marigold but looks to me, a lot like a tomato. I guess I'll find out some day.



Tuesday was another outdoor day as I pulled out the old pavers that were left behind by the previous owner. I know, I know, I've been here almost 13 years... I moved them out to the driveway and posted a photo on the Free Regina FB group, as first come, first serve. When I checked later in the evening they were gone. 

The following day we woke to heavy smoke in the air from the forest fires in Northern Saskatchewan and Alberta. I took this photo about 8 a.m. It was almost eerie out there, and smelled as though we were downwind of a campfire. The winds did pick up and blow most of it away by afternoon, when I went to Stitch and chat. 

Then it got downright chilly. The temperature dropped to 5C (41F) on Wednesday night, and Thursday was worse at -1C (30F). I did not cover my containers the first night as we had cloud cover, but I made certain I got out and covered the tender annuals the following evening because the forecast was for clear skies overnight. Everything came through just fine, and it warmed up nicely throughout the day. The forecast is looking good, with no chance of frost. Now it is grow time!

Since I was kept indoors two days, I did some regular housework (washing floors, vacuuming, laundry, etc.) and got back to working on my flower blanket. It isn't going together as easily as I had hoped. I'm rethinking my strategy, and hopefully it will be finished in the next couple of weeks. I'm also at the point of sewing the toddler sweater together, as the knitting is complete. Once these two projects are complete, it will be time to pull more yarn. I've no idea what I'll make next but I do want to use up more of my stash.

Despite the very cool start to the day, Friday turned into a lovely weather day. I puttered around the house in the morning, and headed outdoors in the afternoon. Other than placing some garden ornaments and the solar lights, I spent my time relaxing and reading in the sun. I finished Greg Iles "Bloody Memory" - I've read several of his novels and like the others, this was a thriller to the end. I'd returned the book club novel earlier this week as I'd finished it when I was at D's on the weekend.

The forecast for today is a high of 27C (80F), but for the moment we're looking at a thunderstorm with rain. I've had to turn on the lights as it's getting very dark outside. I had hoped to spend the morning, cleaning and tidying the shed, but with the impending rain, I've decided to stay indoors and catch up on a bit of PVR'ed televison and the everlasting flower afghan. The outdoor tasks will have to wait until later in the day, and tomorrow.

Have a great week ahead everyone!









15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week. Good job on the pots and baskets. So happy you are finally getting warm!!!!! Today was our coolest this week - basically around 70 F and breezy - but lovely!
    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know your stuff, that's for sure. If I had a house, I'd have to have you come plant all my flowers and shrubs.

    We had the same smoke, the same smell and the same sun that looked like it was dying, a billion years in the future. Have we had forest fires this early in teh season previously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. It does seem very early for the forest fires, and it's clear that the provinces weren't ready to fight them either.

      Delete
  3. You are super organized when it comes to your plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was as organized when it comes to the garden! We are weeks from planting annuals here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tendency to put them in too early, but other than one tomato everything has survived thus far. I'm too eager to get into the yard.

      Delete
  5. You do really know your plants 🪴
    I'm wondering if i should be planting tomatoes and peppers in pots this year.
    The ground up here is so rocky, I've not had much luck over the last few years. They would be easier to look after, i think.
    What are your thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a garden space in my yard, so I've been growing everything in containers for a few years. I certainly had a bumper crop of peppers and tomatoes last year. They do love the heat, and I always include a marigold with them as a companion. My mom told me that helped keep the bugs away. I'd say they are easier to look after, but they do need regular watering that you wouldn't necessarily need to do in a garden. However, the containers are easier to pull into a sheltered area if a hail storm comes through...as we have at least a couple of times each summer. :)

      Delete
  6. I never knew that about Marigolds, Eileen. I will absolutely include one per tomato plant that I always have to grow in huge pots up on the deck. Deer, coons, possums and everyone else come and ravage anything I have vegetable wise, on the ground. I wanted to do green beans again..in the ground but that would just be asking for it. I have great luck with peppers too. On the deck that is. I didn't get cracking this Spring so I may not get any growing but I'll be ready for next year. Do you feed your veggies? I couldn't find the petunias I wanted so have none. I have totally lost to the deep freeze we had in January, my red Fall camellia, my prolific gardenia and my rose bushes. My only favorites of them all...and I see today one of my azaleas is looking peaked. I am truly sad about my losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was obviously a rough winter for your perennials, that's so sad. My mom did a lot of reading about companion planting. That's the only one I really remember! :)

      Delete
  7. Both of us had the same idea, I started planting on Friday after moving the plants indoors on Thursday. Kris also covered his garden on Thursday night and all seems to have made it.

    I finished planting on Sunday...Well still need to weed and plant some annuals in the perennial bed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The planting is the fun part, the weeding, not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to see the beginnings of your planters!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!