Saturday 13 May 2023

Here comes the sun

The beautiful weather (with a wee bit of much needed rain) has certainly improved my mood and got me off the couch. I wish I could say I spent a good amount of time outdoors but that wasn't the case. However, having the windows open while I did some more spring cleaning definitely helped clear the everlasting winter blahs. The basement took me a good part of one day to sweep, dust, and scrub despite the fact there only one room was currently in use (the laundry room with attached storage.) 

I wanted to prepare the new room for use as my craft room. While there are no windows, the new lighting is very bright and there is way more space available. It also has a large closet. However, that closet does not have shelves, as it did the one on the main floor. The following day I moved various pieces of furniture, along with the storage drawers and tubs. I truly had no idea how much crap stuff was crammed in the closet. (They're sneaky like that...it doesn't look bad until you pull it all out.) I did a sort and rid myself of more items but even so, I'm going to need a bookshelf or some other storage in the new room. Once everything was out of the upstair room, it got a good cleaning too. 

Before
After
The closet

The following morning, I sure felt all the stair steps I'd climbed in my calves. So I took the day off, right? Of course not...if nothing else I'm a glutton for punishment. I spent the morning vacuuming the main floor, dusting (opening windows was great for fresh air but it also brought in more dust), washing floors, and doing a general pick-up of the miscellaneous stuff that seems to gather on end tables and the kitchen island. Stitch and chat that afternoon was a bust, as I was the only person who showed up. I decided to go for a drive and enjoy the sunshine. It wasn't as pleasant as I'd hoped as we are well into construction season.

My friend C turned 50 that day, and popped over in the evening. She'd had a good "me" day, with a bit of shopping, booking an appointment for a tattoo, and was on her way to meet another friend for dinner and a movie. But first, she needed a hug. The anniversary of her father's passing was just a couple of weeks ago (he died in a farming accident about 15 years ago), and her mom passed in late December. I know how much she's missing them and both my son and I gave her big hugs. We also made plans to get together the next day for a "play date". In our world, that means going to garage sales. We've yet to buy a garage but we always have fun. 

We managed to stop at a few sales, but only one - the first - provided anything of real interest. She found a canister with a scoop (for coffee). C has a similar one that I gave her years ago - something I don't remember - but it had no scoop. I suggested she could put tea bags in this one and use the scoop in the older one. Sold! I found a campfire popcorn popper for $1. A similar one sells at Home Depot for nearly $60! I also found a pretty purse for my daughter, and if she doesn't like it, I'll keep it for myself.

Have I mentioned that D, Eli and I are going camping this July? She took Eli last year to a nearby lake, and he decided he loves sleeping in the tent. I wanted to make a trip up to my hometown, mostly to photograph some headstones of various relatives, and since there is a nice Regional park close by, we decided to combine the trip. We booked our site a couple of weeks ago, not far from the playground and the bathhouse. My brother is lending us Thermarest camping pads but I suspect I'll be feeling some discomfort sleeping on the ground overnight.  Anything for my grandson, right?  

I'm off to visit them today, returning on Monday. While we had rain on Friday, the weekend is forecast to be absolutely beautiful with highs ranging from 20-24C (68-75F). I do hope to spend some time out in her yard cleaning up the flower beds. We might even head to a garden center to pick up a few petunias for her containers. 


Visitors on the roof. They aren't nesting; Saku spotted them and made a dash for the window. It was enough to frighten them away.

Have a great weekend everyone!


23 comments:

  1. You've certainly been busy. It is so nice to be able to open windows, isn't it? You're a good grandma, I don't think you could convince me to sleep on the ground in a tent! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the fresh air after such a long winter is a real treat.
      I'll try the camping thing once, and then we'll see whether he can convince me to go again. :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely big room for crafting. Love the fresh air that open windows offer. Camping will be fun. It has been a number of years since I tent camped - but it was a fun adventure.
    Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a huge room - before it was finished I never realized how large it would be before it was finished.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to agree with the first person who left a comment: I doubt there's anything that could get me to sleep on the ground, even if on a pad. My body couldn't do it anymore, even if I wanted to. I'm sure you'll all have fun, though!

    I wish you could send me some motivation -- lol. I have zilch for the house or little back garden. I do like your visitors, though! I'm sure that was a great tv program for Saku. :-)

    I feel for your friend C. I still have my dad, but it was Mom who was my primary care giver and Mom to whom I was closest. I'm glad C has you for hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certain camping will be fun, but I'm not certain I'll do it again..once might be enough.
      Sadly, I lost my mom and dad, nearly 20 and 15 years ago. I can understand how she feels, even after all that time. My daughter described the pain of loss as a large ball in a small room that keeps hitting a button on the wall that increases the pain. As the ball loses air it still bounces around the room but doesn't always hit the button. But when it does, it's like the loss is fresh again. I don't think the ball every deflates.

      Delete
  4. You might consider looking for some baker's racks for storage of your crafting items.
    You really have some fun stuff planned!
    I would never be able to get up if I had to sleep on a pad on the ground! A hoist would have to be brought in, as well as, a rollaway bed! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find a small book case at a garage sale this weekend. It likely won't be enough storage so I'll keep an eye for other possibilities - a baker's rack might work.
      I'll be sure to let you all know how I fare camping.

      Delete
  5. The yard sales sounds like fun and a purchase is a bonus. I’ve done the camping thing with the grandkids too. Like you said, anything…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creating memories with Eli is one of my greatest joys. My children were in their teens and early twenties when my parents passed away but still have some sweet memories.

      Delete
  6. You have been busy. Love, love, love your new craft room. So spacious.

    I am glad that you have nice weather this weekend. We have had rain again until about an hour ago. According to Harvey we have gotten close to 3 inches over the last 2 1/2 days. Temperature here tonight is going to be close to freezing. I hope Harvey's garden does okay, and I am bringing in my plants.
    Enjoy the camping trip.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. We'll see how long it takes for me to mess it up. :)
      I hope the rain is over for the time being. Makes it easier to pull weeds, but too much isn't good either. I planted out my containers today - I might be too early as Wednesday overnight may be chilly. I'll have to keep a couple of old sheets handy, just in case.

      Delete
  7. You've been busy. those jobs have to be done. We are finding it a challenge to get rid of crap. What's with ducks and geese landing on the roof this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a purge four years ago when I retired, and I still find things that I wonder, why did I keep that. Moving will spur the purge even further.
      We do have a pair of ducks that nest on one of the neighbour's roofs each year, but I've never seen them visit mine before.

      Delete
  8. You take spring-cleaning to hearet! But then, you are very active, especially about the house. I always like looking at what is on offer at garage sales, though I rarely find something to take home. But there are still many treasures for people.

    And it's good to read that Saku still has some action in him. Good job guarding the house, Saku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you, when I was working, spring cleaning looked much different. It makes is much easier when one has the time.
      Saku is doing well for a 15 year old cat. He will play with his toys, shows interest in the bird television, and definitely lets me know when he wants to be fed.

      Delete
  9. Whew.........sounds like you did lots of work on rooms up and down. It will be really nice for you to have your space all organized. Enjoy your upcoming camping trip. My dance card on camping is beyond full. We used to camp alot and enjoyed it; but now I prefer the Marriott with a bed and shower.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it weren't for my grandson, both my daughter and I would be more likely to book a motel/hotel room. But he's loves it - she took him twice last summer and has purchased much of the equipment needed. I'm both looking forward to and dreading it...all at the same time.

      Delete
  10. Your downstairs craft area is beautiful! I know all about closets, Even in a trailer, i collect 'stuff'.
    I'm glad Eli likes camping. Of course, I'm a bit partial but think it is something every young person should partake in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy! We camped when I was a kid - at a church camp. When we weren't at the actual church camp, we had a pop up trailer and rented a seasonal spot there. When the "campers" were there, we couldn't access the beach, but by the time mom bought the trailer, we were teens and were often part of the camp staff. I remember cooking 500 meatballs for one camp dinner! We also went on work weekends, in the spring before the camp opened for the season and in the fall to close up. That was pretty much my experiences with camping, so this will be quite different with just three of us.

      Delete
  11. I can see that you have a surplus of energy (and commitment too) for cleaning, organizing, sorting and rearranging, so feel free to come to my house at any time and we will have lots to help you to demonstrate your verve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks for the offer but I have enough of my own clutter to deal with.

      Delete
  12. Quite actually, the commenter above me there said what I was about to. Drat! No luck for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!