Saturday 27 May 2023

Wreaking havoc

The photos of the three hares on Wednesday where taken from my front driveway, across the street to the neighbour's yard. He had a large spruce tree removed last year, and hasn't dealt with the lawn as yet. Kim, I haven't seen a hare roll in the dirt before either, and was lucky to be at the right place at the right time. Initially I was taking the photo because the one hare has still not turned entirely brown. In the last of the series, the neighbour had come out of the front door with his daughter (she's learning to drive). None of the hares bolted, but the one did pay attention. When I called across the street, "did you get some new pets", he responded, "did you want some". My answer was no thanks!

It's been a very busy week, starting with grocery shopping on Monday, several errands, including a visit to Value Village* on Tuesday, and some packing and clearing of spaces upstairs ahead of the contractors arriving Wednesday afternoon to start the demolition process. I also heard from the landscaper, and the quote was much less than I had thought it might be. I asked him to hold off until the flooring guys are finished. At the rate demolition has occurred, I thought perhaps they'd be finished by mid to end of next week.

And then, like most construction projects, things ground to a halt. The flooring, which was expected to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday, did not. It did come in on Friday, but the contractor advised he didn't have time to deliver that day, so I'm expecting it on Monday with work to begin again on Tuesday.  In the meantime, my living room looks like this:


The two spare bedrooms are also stripped, however my bedroom hasn't been touched. We decided it will be left until the flooring in one or both of the spare rooms is complete, then the furniture can be moved out to provide more space for the guys to work. 

They did, however, get the new baseboards installed in the front foyer, the kitchen, and the bathrooms. I've left the original vinyl - it's very good quality and as my mom would say, "hides the dirt". I'm sure the next owners will want to replace it at some point. I said to Carter, one of the workers - I have to leave something for them to do. :)

Saku and I spent Thursday in the sunroom, and with limited distractions, I finished the toddler sweater. I've also been working on the flower afghan and have half of it sewn together, and the edges completed on about half of the remaining flowers. At this rate, I might even finish it while the construction is on-going. The cat and I will spend mornings in the sunroom, and then afternoons in the craft room downstairs. We're expecting July temperatures next week, (28-29C/82-84F) each day. As it is constructed of metal and glass, the sunroom gets far too hot on those days to be tolerable in the afternoons.  

Friday, I vaccumed the entire main floor to get up bits and pieces of the leveling compound and dried pieces of drywall mud, as well as cat hair. I used my vacuum hose in the open cold air returns and found mounds of the latter. I told my son C, before the house is listed I'll have to have the ducts cleaned. It's been a couple of years so it's definitely time. 

We had a lovely rain on Friday; my gauge registered nearly a 1/2 inch. Yay, no watering required. My onion sets are up, as is the lettuce, and my tomatoes seem to have sprouted a couple more inches in the last week. The cucumber has several blooms on it but remains rather squat. I've pinched the bottom ones off of it, hoping to encourage it to stretch out to reach the trellis. The perennial is doing well too, with the hostas starting to emerge, and the plants already tall. My bleeding heart is blooming. The other annual containers look good too. I do love this time of year.

More rain is expected today, along with thunderstorms starting sometime this afternoon. In the meantime, it's relatively nice, 14C (57F) and overcast. Since I've little housework to do, I'm planning to head down to the pond for a walk. I drove past the other day and saw no baby geese. I do hope someone hasn't tampered with nests, as they have in the past. Other than that, I've nothing much planned for the next two days. There will be Blue Jays baseball to watch, along with some PVR'ed television. I'll continue to work on the afghan and likely start my cardigan. Pretty boring, but with the chaos of construction, I'm okay with that.

Have a great week ahead everyone!

*more yarn was purchased, enough for a crocheted cardigan! I paid less than $10 for the 12 skeins.

14 comments:

  1. That is a big project, I hope it all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish, but I've already there will be another delay. :(

      Delete
  2. Love the sweater. Great colour.

    We saw two hares this morning at the national park. They were larger than I expected. All I could envision was them becoming lunch for a bald eagle.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. We do have eagles here in the province but not in my city. The predators here are coyotes, fox, and becoming roadkill. Sadly, it is most often the latter.

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed that there are no more hitches to the flooring installation. (I'm trying to FIND someone to replace all the old gutters on my townhouse. You'd think that would be easy, but nope....)

    I hope you did make it down to the pond, and that you have a lovely Sunday.

    Take care; have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned today, it will be delayed again - I'm not fond of living in a construction zone but it can't be helped.
      I did make it to the pond, more on that later.

      Delete
  4. It is difficult living amongst construction and even more so when they are delays.
    Fingers crossed 🤞 that it moves along with no further snags this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself, it will eventually get done, and done right. But it is hard to be patient.

      Delete
  5. Remodeling sure does make a mess - but it will be worth it in the end. Hope you get a nice walk by the pond. Have a day day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Cheryl, it will be worth it...in a couple of weeks. :)

      Delete
  6. I hate living with such transition as renovations, but it must be done. And yes, construction never runs smoothly, perhaps because there are many different elements, all controlled by different people. And we had rain here, too; I love spring rain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the rain too, though in slightly less volume than we had on Sunday.

      Delete
  7. With us it is more a furniture not arriving on time problem, carpets seem to arrive within the time we are quoted.

    I heard that the storm on one of the nights was something else. Hopefully you did not get any hail.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, no hail here but lots of rain, thunder and lightning.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!