Saturday 13 January 2024

Colder than a snowcone at the North Pole

The weather turned nasty here this week, with temperatures dropping rapidly throughout the week. We also got more snow. By mid-week we had more than four inches on the ground. For the first few days of snow shovelling left me feeling sore but by this point, I can be out there for the hour it takes me and I'm fine. Now this doesn't mean I don't want to convince my son to buy a snowblower. :) 

Tuesday was our "warmest" day with a high of -11C (12F) so I went out to get a few groceries, cat food, and to run an errand for my daughter. When I'd unloaded everything at home, I went back out to Value Village (senior's day), and found a pair of blue jeans, a blanket for my bed, and a picture frame, all for less than $13. While I was happy with my deals, I was chatting with one of my favorite clerks and found out she's just been diagnosed with cancer. She hasn't started her treatment just yet, but expects she will in the next few weeks. She's such a nice person, always smiling, helpful with the customers, and I do hope her treatment goes well.

I did make it to Stitch and Chat on Wednesday. There were just two of us there, S & myself. The other regular, Io wasn't there as she wasn't feeling well. We were both working on cross stitch projects, though there was a lot more chatting than cross stitching. S will be with us/me next week before she leaves for a few months in Arizona. Boy, I'd like to be tucked into her suitcase! My warm holiday is still 8 weeks away.

Thursday was Mahjong at the local community center. I initially thought I would attend, but with the temperature hovering around -28C (-18F) I decided I'd rather stay home and bake some banana bread. There was curling to watch too with a men's event being held in Lloydminster (Alberta) and streaming available on You-tube.

D spoke with her doctor that evening and got the results for Eli. He had strep throat. The cause of the seizure was his body's response to his temperature rising to fight the infection. I understand from her discussion with the doctors and my google search, that febrile seizures are not uncommon but, as long as they don't last more than 5 minutes there is little risk to their brains. In fact, according to one article I read, it isn't even recommended to take the child to the emergency department unless the seizure lasts beyond that time period. Yeah no, any seizure would freak me out and in any event, I'd want a diagnosis. Hopefully, he'll never have this experience again.

It reminded me that I had a similar reaction as a small child. I was about four, maybe five years old. Mom and Dad rushed me into the hospital when I had a convulsion, as it was called then, and I was flown by air ambulance to the hospital in Saskatoon. I'm not certain how long I was in the hospital, but am certain it was at least a few days. It was determined that I had contracted rubella and rather than appearing as a rash on my body, it had attacked my internal organs. I was unconscious for quite some time - I do recall waking on the airplane and asking for my mom, and being transferred from the gurney to a bed in the hospital. Mom wasn't with me on the plane but when I did wake fully, she was there. I don't know or remember much more but do know that when the other students got their rubella vaccines in Grade 7, I was exempted. 

It steadily got colder all week, so I stayed home on Friday as well. With several curling games to watch, laundry, housework, and a knitting project on the go, I kept busy (and warm). I wasn't feeling like cooking so ordered in pizza from a nearby restaurant. Don't judge me - there was curling to watch! :)

Today is another day of watching curling, starting a new jigsaw puzzle, and knitting. This is the one I finished last weekend after giving up on another. I quite enjoyed putting it together. 

The cold weather has gotten even colder and the winds are still causing serious windchills. Overnight the temperature was -35C (-31F) with a windchill of -52C(-62F). Brutal! Today our high temperature is expected to reach -31C(-23F). Thankfully, it appears the cold snap will snap on Tuesday and we'll see a return to more seasonal temperatures.

I'll leave you with this photo my brother sent me of the sunrise on Tuesday morning. He has the benefit of living in the country where the buildings don't get in the way of his view.





22 comments:

  1. Love to see pictures of your projects. Sounds like staying home and warm with those temps was a very wise move on your part. I'm not very good at puzzles, but almost bought one a few days ago...almost, lol. It's suppose to be a good thing for us to do with our brain. My older brother used to get high fevers as a kid and would get a seizure but Mom and Dad seemed to know what to do so he never made it to the hospital as a result. Your Rubella case sounds very nasty indeed. It's good you got the care you needed.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy. One of my readers (Patsy) inspired me to start doing jigsaw puzzles. She's a whiz at them. :)
      Based on others comments, it certainly seems that febrile seizures are not that uncommon. This was his first and hopefully last.

      Delete
  2. My goodness that is cold. YES, stay in - there is nothing worth going out in those temps for. We are having crazy wind and it is in the teens (F) here going to 1* tonight.
    So glad Eli is doing good. I had that happen as a child due to fevers with Scarlet Fever. Scary stuff - always. Better safe than sorry. I have a little nephew just diagnosed with epilepsy - taking meds now.
    Stay in and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I hope your little nephew does well too.

      Delete
  3. Yes, that is darn cold! My brother is experiencing the same stiff but as he says, at least he isn't getting the 'weather' that Ontario is getting. Blowing wind and snow and power outages.
    Love the puzzle picture!! Great job!
    Glad Eli's seizure had been explained but i how it doesn't happen again too.
    Stay warm, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been fortunate with not a whole lot of snow. I'd be worried sick if we had power outages - we don't have a fireplace or any other source of heat beyond the furnace and it relies on electricity to run and natural gas for the heat.. Most of our lines are buried underground now - the government owned Sask Power started replacing the old poles.
      Thanks Patsy!

      Delete
  4. Happy your grandson is doing well.
    There is no way I envy your temperatures. I am already freezing because we are having a cold snap and expect some low digit (for us) temps at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful that it doesn't look like the really cold weather will last much longer -we should get a break by Tuesday. I hope your forecast changes soon too.

      Delete
  5. I had the same problem with my tonsils. They went septic and the inflammation couldn't be seen by looking down my throat. Back then the doctor made house calls and when he arrived heard me talking about snakes on the walls, and then having a convulsion. Put in the hospital immediately and as soon as was possible had my tonsils removed. I was about 3 1/2 years old at the time. I still have a swollen lymph node on my neck. The doctor said that saved my life by keeping the bacteria from entering my blood stream in any great amount.

    Much too cold around here as well. No snow really, but lots of blowing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to me that so many of us had similar experiences but due to different reasons. I didn't know that febrile seizures were so common.
      Definitely too cold, let's hope this cold snap snaps soon!

      Delete
  6. That's too cold for man and beast, to paraphrase the old expression. We're having a snow/rain mix, so it's really messy right now, but our cold is only coming in a day or two. It won't be THAT cold, though, thank goodness.

    I'm with you re: a child having a seizure and I'd be rushing to ER regardless.

    The puzzle looks great, it's a fun way to pass some time.

    Have a great weekend and stay warm and cosy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the sayings my Dad would use in cold weather! I haven't heard it for a very long time.
      I do hope the snow ends soon and the cold misses you. Though it is January - at least that's almost 1/2 over. Stay dry and warm!

      Delete
  7. I always think of you when I hear of those temperatures. Staying inside is a great idea when it is that cold outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. It's likely because I get fixated on those temps, hoping if I talk about them, they'll go away. :)

      Delete
  8. Stay warm! The cold is here too. Not bad if you can stay inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. That's the great thing about being retired, staying indoors when the weather is frightful. Stay warm!

      Delete
  9. Those are similar temperatures to those we have here. It's supposed to be above freezing by next Friday! As for seizures, I would take my child - or anyone, really - to the hospital in case of a seizure. And what you had as a child was definitely an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not supposed to get above the freezing mark but next Saturday is forecast for -7C. That will feel almost balmy after this.
      I do hope this is a one and done with Eli, but I also think I wouldn't hesitate to take him or anyone else if they had a seizure too.

      Delete
  10. Interest on your epilepsy. I had juvenile epilepsy and as a teacher often had a student with epilepsy. Now I have senior epilepsy which is different then juvenile. I could not make any new memories. It's well controlled by medication.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have had a cold snap here, but nothing like the conditions you have been experiencing out west. I can barely imagine day after day of those temperatures. Stay warm and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier now that I am retired and can hunker down at home. I feel for my son and all those who have to go to work each day, and those who have no comfortable home.
      I also think I'm becoming less tolerant to the cold.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!