Saturday 6 January 2024

This is a boring post

It's been a pretty quiet week and had its ups and downs. New Year's Day was quiet and relaxing - I'm pretty certain I spent most of it binge watching old television programs. 

I left the house for the first time in nearly a week on Tuesday, picking up groceries in the morning, having lunch with a friend, and then a little more shopping for household items in the afternoon. One of the windows in the kitchen doesn't close properly and there is a gap that lets in the cold air. I picked up some weather stripping as a stop gap (literally) measure. I've noticed a difference that night so it was an easy fix. 

My former colleague D was in town visiting her sister and daughter so we met for lunch. It was so nice to see her and the conversation and food was very good. We shared photos and stories about our grandchildren, and had some laughs. The restaurant was busy, especially with seniors. After I overheard some snippets of conversation, I realized this was due to the proximity to a medical lab. I'm sure some folks had to fast and were ready for a meal after their appointments.

The following couple of days weren't great, as I started feeling the onset of a cold that evening. I woke about 1:30 a.m. coughing, which didn't stop for some time. When it did ease off I took a dose of Buckley's and was able to sleep again for a couple of hours. The rest of Wednesday was spent mostly on the couch as any kind of activity caused coughing and shortness of breath. That night I took a Buckley's nighttime pill and another dose of cough medicine and slept very well.

Saku was a big help (sort of). He climbed up on my chest and pinned me down. Here he is fast asleep while I rested!

But oh my, my ribs and stomach muscles ached on Thursday. Thankfully the coughing was much reduced but every time a cough came on, I would try to hold it in because it hurt so much. I managed to get my laundry done and then worked on my budget worksheet updating my spending and reconciling my accounts. Meanwhile the junior hockey semi-finals were streaming. Our Canadian team lost out in the quarter finals but I still enjoyed watching the game.

Our winter weather has arrived. It snowed on both Thursday and Friday, and I managed to clear the driveway both days. The first day I was a bit slow, taking breaks to catch my breath. But I was feeling much better on Friday so it went faster, though I ought to have waited until later in the day as it continued to snow through the afternoon. I left it be, and either I or my son will shovel it today.

I caught up on some much needed housework as well, in between the junior hockey games. My bedding was washed, the entire house vacuumed, and my bedroom rug was cleaned of the spots that Saku leaves for me on occasion. The cough hasn't entirely gone away, but it's infrequent and I don't feel short of breath when I exert myself. 

I have no plans for the weekend, I'm sure there will be more television watching, a bit of housework, work on the jigsaw puzzle and I really, really need to work on my crochet and cross-stitch projects. I was feeling some pain in my wrists and forearms after all the crocheting for Christmas. I did a few rows on my sweater while at my daughter's, but the discomfort wasn't completely resolved. I figured a couple more weeks would be helpful. The cross-stitch is easier, but I need good lighting.

See, I told you it was boring. Have a great week ahead everyone!




23 comments:

  1. Glad you’ve recovered from the cold. People here are coming down with Covid. Some are scary sick with it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds busy to me, between meeting friends, cleaning house, fixing windows, napping with the cat, shoveling the driveway TWICE!!!

    I love the snow but hate the shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shoveled for the third time yesterday. No snow overnight - I told my son if we had more snow it was his turn.

      Delete
  3. I think I just might be coming down with the cold Harvey wanted so badly to share with me. Mine seems to be more of a head cold right now though. Don't need to be ill as I have my mammogram at the mobile clinic on Tuesday.

    I also needed to put my stitching away as I need better light than what we have been getting lately.

    Feel better very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to avoid the cold. Good luck with the mammogram.

      Delete
  4. Hope you are feeling all well after your cold. What a sweet baby helping you out! We got a shout of winter this morning - our first snow of the season. Basically just a dusting - it is pretty. OK, now it can go away!
    Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only seemed to last a couple of days. I wonder if the Covid and flu vaccines helped my immune system kick it quickly.
      I'm pretty certain our snow is here to stay. Saku is often "helpful" like that. :)

      Delete
  5. Not boring at all and what a sweet picture with Saku. Hope your cough clears up soon! We've been cold (AZ mountains) with some snow... 8 more inches by tomorrow night. Hoping the roads are clear for my dentist appointment on Monday. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise. He started climbing on my chest with a kitten, now he weighs a whole lot more.
      Oh my, that's a lot of snow. Stay warm and safe!

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you were under the weather. COVID cases are quite high right now, and there are so many other germs going around, as always in winters. I'm glad you're feeling better now. Take it easy this morning weekend and just let your body know fully recover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I feel pretty much back to normal already. Easy has been my middle name this weekend.

      Delete
  7. And I see auto text had lots of input.... 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. don't you just love some of the stuff it fills in. You on my keyboard become yiu. So I have to double check every time!

      Delete
  8. It's good to know that Buckley's works; I will remember that. Did your ribs and stomach hurt because of previous coughing, or due to Saku sleeping on you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing stuff. My godmother, the one who passed away recently, used it after hip surgery. She swore it kept her from catching pneumonia. I've been using it for years and the slogan, "it tastes awful, but it works" is bang on.
      Nah, the pain from the coughing. Saku doesn't stick around long enough though this day he actually fell asleep.

      Delete
  9. Glad you feel better now! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad ro read you are feeling better. We are expecting snow and really cold next week, between -20 and -30. We knew it would happen sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. The long range shows the cold arriving mid-week with temps dropping down near -30C overnight. So far, it looks like it will only last a week. You're absolutely right, it had to happen.

      Delete
  11. I still thank you for turning me on to the miracles of Buckley's. Glad you are feeling a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. I've never read the ingredients but that stuff usually makes short work of a cold.

      Delete
  12. Good to hear that you cold is behind you. I had an awful cold and then my wife had it too, of course. We hadn't had one all through COVID so perhaps we were overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew, you make me tired. All those normal day to day things are boring to do, but what choice do we have? None! So we muster through. Glad you had a nice visit with your friend, catching up is always good. I read an article recently talking about how healthy it is for us to do that. Sorry about the illness. With a cough like that, I can't help but think you probably had Covid, did you test? It's certainly on the rise again. Our DD got it over Christmas and when we bought tests at the drug store they told us they could barely keep the shelf stocked with them, since so many were again in need of testing. Hope you feel better soon.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!