Saturday 20 January 2024

The present and the past

The much awaited warm-up didn't happen on Tuesday. By then, the forecast had been pushed out to Saturday. We did see a slight warm-up throughout the week but the dratted wind kept it feeling much colder. I did go out on Wednesday and Thursday, first to pick up a few groceries and Stitch and Chat, and the following day to attend Mahjong.

My time at home was productive and enjoyable as there was lots of curling to follow. First the finals of the men's event in Lloydminster, then on Wednesday the Sask. Provincial Women's began, and a Grand Slam event began airing games on Thursday. In fact, both Thursday and Friday had six games I could potentially have watched. 

I had other things to do too; first up to clear out the documents and correspondence I no longer need from 2023 and prior. All of the items for my former house were shredded - this include the original purchase and mortgage documents and invoices for every repair and renovation project from 2010-2023 and utility bills for the last year. I told C that since I no longer need those folders, I've filed the documentation for his property in the box.


To prepare for my Caribbean cruise in March, just 7 weeks away, I printed off a few more documents. Since I originally booked my flights, Air Canada has changed the departure times more than once. (not the dates thankfully). After last year's delays due to thunderstorms in Florida, I've chosen to fly in three days prior to the cruise. I'll arrive late the first day, because getting anywhere from here is always a full day affair and have two full days to rest, relax and/or explore before I board the ship. The cost of the airfare with the extra two nights of hotel was actually less than flying in the day prior to the cruise too. I read somewhere it will be school break. This time I'm flying with Air Canada, not WestJet, with only one stop in Toronto both going and returning so, fingers crossed, this will be a less stressful trip.

While I was at Walmart on Wednesday, I came across a heavily discounted bag of yarn (about 40% of original cost). I couldn't pass it up as I've been wanting to make a pair of slippers. I made up watching the curling that evening, and another Thursday morning while (though the ends haven't been sewn in yet. They are lovely and soft, and I have a lot of yarn left, so I may make another pair, this time a sock slipper style. 

Another activity that can be done while watching curling is updating information in Ancestry. Recently Newspapers.com added a significant number of archived newspapers opening up more and new information. In addition, data from the 1931 Canadian census has been added over time. I knew that some of my maternal grandfather's family had returned to Ontario after giving up their homesteads here in Saskatchewan but I had hit a brick wall previously due to the lack of information. With the added newspapers, I was thrilled to find the obituaries of my great-aunt Bess and her husband. Her obituary also provided the name of their eldest daughter's husband. Previously, I knew from her siblings' obituaries that Phyllis had passed away sometime after 2013 but only had her spouse's last name. Bess's obit provided that one piece that broke that brick wall. Not only did I find Phyllis' obit learning she had two sons from a previous marriage, but I was able to find information on her second husband. He was also previously married, and though I can't find a lot of personal information, I did learn that he was a well known comic book artist in the 1940's. He was also the artist for a newspaper comic strip, Dizzy Don, that appeared in the comic book series. If you are interested, there is currently a copy of Dizzy Don Comics #3 Howard Pub 1947 Canadian Edition available on E-Bay listed for $800USD. Other versions have prices between $200-$1600 USD. I certainly can't claim to be related to this fellow, but I found the story interesting. It's unusual though, that I cannot find anything about his antecedents. Just another brick wall to keep me looking.

In between the fun stuff was the normal housework. I did NOT do much shovelling of snow this week. With the windchills still near -40C/F, I cleared the sidewalks and left the driveway for less cold days. Just to demonstrate how volatile the weather is the forecast for next Tuesday is 0C/32F.  I'll believe it when I see it, but I'll definitely welcome it, if this holds true.

We reached -17C Friday afternoon with windchill around -23C. It felt practically balmy out there when I went out to shovel the driveway. I hadn't done when it was so cold so I was clearing the accumulation over the past week or so. I moved my car out of the garage when I finished, and that turned out to be a slightly expensive decision, as I tapped the fence with my side mirror and the darn thing (plastic) broke. I was able to tape it up for now, but will need to make an appointment with an auto body shop to get it replaced soon.

Have a great week ahead everyone, stay warm and dry!



14 comments:

  1. Cold, cold, cold! Yuck. You have such a fun thing to look forward to in March. Makes those cold days a bit better! Love the wooly slippers, be careful not to slip in those. Might add something non-skid to the bottom.
    We should have a warmer week next week.
    Have a great weekend and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I didn't have a problem with slipping. But they did stretch after one day of wear.

      Delete
  2. Staying warm is the challenge. We missed our walk yesterday with windchill of -23. The wind was gusting such that it was hard to stand up.

    Hope it does warm up for you! You have certainly had enough cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be surprised if we get more cold weather in February, but I'm happy to see the warm up.

      Delete
  3. Slight warm up down here as well, though the wind is still pretty cold. I think Harvey will get the snowblower working tomorrow and clear out the driveway a bit more.

    Love those slippers. Are they slippy on floors? The reason I ask is that I was gifted the same type of yarn and have been wondering what to do with it (other than a blanket).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slippers weren't Skippy but after one day of wear they'd stretched out. I used some yarn to create "laces" but I wouldn't recommend this type of yarn for slippers.

      Delete
  4. We were supposed to have much warmer weather here, too - above freezing by the weekend - but it didn't arrive. Today is predicted to be -3 degrees C, but I doubt that it will reach even that. I'll bet you wish that cruise were this month, instead of March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK because there is curling to watch but if it weren't for that I'd be antsy. It is always nice to have something to look forward to.

      Delete
  5. I guess I'd better not complain about minus 20 something windchills. Your cruise will be such a wonderful change and relief from the relentless cold. Those slippers look very cosy, though, perfect for these frigid temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I'll definitely be ready for the heat.and sun by early March.

      Delete
  6. I love that chunky yarn for slippers. I should make another pair roo. It is something i had success with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting as these stretched out so quickly. Perhaps my tension is too loose.

      Delete
  7. Cute idea for slipper and I bet they are warm! The weather is supposed to warm up here too, we will see:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! We'll both be happy to see warmer weather.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!