Monday 6 May 2019

For the birds

I went for a short walk this morning, taking my camera with me.  I was glad I did!  The birds are out in full force, chattering amongst themselves, feeding, and gathering for their nests.  I probably didn't get as much aerobic exercise as I would have liked because I kept stopping to take more photos!

The robins are everywhere.  I think I have a pair nesting in my evergreen.  (Not these, as I saw this pair on the path in the park).  

They appeared to be feeding, though neither seemed to be having much luck.






Sorry for the quality of this photo.  I was just about to snap the photo when the magpie started to fly off.  

It's the first one I've spotted this year. He was squawking like a banshee which was what alerted me to his presence.  They are such noisy birds and not very nice to other birds either.


The Hungarian partridge were out and about as well.  These two headed for the shade when I came by so although I tried to get a number of shots, this was the best I could do.

It's nice to see them - I always get a chuckle out of their way of marching about.




All along the creek were the red winged blackbirds.  I love their song and stood to listen for a bit before moving on.

On the other side of the creek a man was walking.  I thought nothing of it, until I saw something moving in the grass just ahead of him.  He was walking his cat!  the photo I took was just too blurry to share but I could tell the cat was black and wearing a red leash.


Another robin with a mouthful.  I'm assuming this was material for a nest as it immediately flew off.  

This duck seemed to be sleeping in the water.  It was completely still and though there was lots of noise from the geese on and around the pond it didn't move.

After I'd walked past though, when I turned around to look back, it was swimming.





A couple of geese coming in for a landing.  They were definitely announcing their arrival early as they came over the pond.  

Is that their way of letting the rest of the birds know so they'll have a clear runway?  Impossible to know but one has to wonder.




 The crow let me get quite close to me, and didn't fly off even as I walked path.  I have to assume it was too focused on what it was doing!



Up top on the building under construction were two more very noisy geese.  They seemed to hollering at goose on the other side of the pond, who was hollering right back.  Funny birds!

Last but not least was this little brown bird in the tree just a block from the house.  There were several of them flitting around, though with the exception of this little guy, they wouldn't settle long enough to allow a picture.

I'm assuming it is a nuthatch but not entirely certain.  It's definitely not a chickadee but about that size.

Along the way I noticed lost of trees budding out and this one is actually beginning to leaf out.  Hooray!  It's been quite cold here at night, well below freezing, and I'm so ready for warmer weather.  The sight of the leaves makes me optimistic it is coming soon.

On the home front I have nothing much to report as yet.  My agent called on Saturday to tell me that since listing (2 days) we'd had 236 views on the MLS listing, with 84 looking at the photos and 8 people marking it as a favorite.  The latter is good news/bad news.  It would appear they are interested, but may be waiting for a price drop.  I did have a couple of vehicles stop in front of the house on Saturday morning for several minutes at a time but who knows...maybe they were lost.  In any event, Curtis hasn't yet had a call for a showing.  We'll do a real estate agent's open house on Thursday, and a public open house on Saturday.  

Have a great week everyone!

5 comments:

  1. A realtor's open house is a good idea, often realtors have buyers with specific needs in mind. Love the birds. We don't have magpies out here on the island although we had tons of them in Alberta. We do have all the others though - I happen to love the red winged black birds and their song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Wisconsin we always watched for the first robins to arrive, announcing spring. I see you are selling your house, have you picked a new location to live in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have robins through the winter here but bluebirds are nesting in little bluebird houses all around us. I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely walk you had! I don't know that we have magpies here; I've never seen one, at any rate.

    Good luck re: both open houses; I hope they generate a sale for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching and hearing birds, even the noisy ones. Magpies are common in these parts and yes, they are a bit of a nuisance - and a danger to other birds. The various birds will sometimes take food from the bowl I leave for outsider-cats, but I don’t mind. One day, when I went to my veterinary hospital, I saw a flock of geese had landed in the field next to the building.

    There is always a bit of anxiety when selling a house and you don’t get the interest you’d anticipated. I recall that, because my current apartment came available and I knew I wouldn’t get such a good chance at such a good apartment again, I rented the apartment before the house was sold: I had to pay for two homes at the same time for a couple of months! But it paid off in the end, and your house will sell, too, and for a good price. You’ve put a lot of work into it, and that will benefit you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!