Sunday 27 October 2019

Reality

It sure doesn't take long after returning from vacation to get back into the routine of home, does it?  After doing my laundry and putting away the suitcases, there was the rest of the house to tackle.  My son did a good job of keeping things tidy, but the floors needed a vaccum and a wash.  Quick, somebody invent a self-cleaning house!  I'd have to win a lottery to afford it but a girl can dream can't she?

However, I didn't totally focus on the house.  Monday was election day here in Canada.  Even though the campaign only lasted 40 days it seemed much longer.  The rhetoric was histronic with personal attacks rather than policy announcements. Our media made no attempt to refocus the attention, and in some cases even stoked the fear and division. Reminds me of another election a few years ago in a neighbouring country.  I spent Monday evening and well into the next morning, watching the results roll in.  For those who don't follow Canadian news the Liberal government was re-elected but with a minority government.  It's a result I thought was likely to occur, and as a progressive myself, I'm grateful for the result.  It will require cooperation and stronger communication to govern....attributes that I believe are truly important for any government.  

Tuesday was a back to normal busy day.  I met my friend K for lunch - she had a birthday last week so it was my treat.  I'd dropped the car off next door at Kal Tire to have the tires changed over for the winter, so we met at Mr. Greek.  We both enjoy their gyros, and with coupons it was a good price.  After lunch, the car was still on the hoist, so I walked over to the Safeway, to their pharmacy, to get my flu shot.  It's the first time I've had the shot so they asked me to stay in the store for 30 minutes to ensure no adverse reaction.  Other than a sore arm, there was none and when I walked back to Kal Tire, the car was ready to go.  Reminder to self: check the trunk for the replaced tires.  I got home, went to unload and discovered they hadn't put them back in the car!  So a return trip was made to pick up the summer tires. 

I had coffee with my friend C on Wednesday morning, then made a trip to Costco for furnace filters and a Google Home Mini.  The mini was $25 off it's regular price and the filters were $10 off three.  I use the kind that are supposed to filter out pet hair.  They seem to work reasonably well, as every time I replace the filter it is covered in fur!  While Costco is a bit further away than it once was, the savings were sufficient to make going there worthwhile.  

After dropping off my purchases, I headed over to the library for stitch and chat. A couple of ladies weren't there, one has left for Arizona, the other was playing bridge, but there were four of us plus a new woman.  Although we don't know each other well, there never seems to be a shortage of topics to discuss.  From crafts, to weather, to family health, and even curling.  As a result of the latter topic I realized the Grand Slam of Curling's first event is being played this weekend.  Thursday morning was the first televised game....can you guess how I spent most of the weekend?  Add in a Rider game and I was in my happy place.  



Then on Sunday, Eli and his mom are coming for a visit as she has appointments tomorrow in the city.  They will spend the night, and I will spend the days following their visit cleaning up after them.  But I wouldn't miss the time I get to spend with the little guy.  

We'll be spending our time indoors, I imagine because I woke to this this morning!  This looks worse than it really is, but we do have about an inch on the ground.  We have a couple of days in the next week where temps will be above or near freezing so it may disappear.  But I suspect winter has truly arrived.  :(

As for the house, I've heard nothing from my agent so I assume it was a no go.  That's okay, I'm quite enjoying not being quite as strict with my cleaning regime.  Speaking of which, I'd best get the cat litter cleaned before Eli gets here.  Talk about reality!

Have a great week everyone!



7 comments:

  1. Understand about lead up to elections. Here, it seems to last, the total 4 years, between elections. Actually, it does.

    My wish is to insulate myself from "The News". "The News" is full of false hoods. I can do nothing about any of it, but vote. For our health, Insulation seems the best way. But not easy to do. But I'm trying. -smile-

    A wee bit of snow, hu? Here we are still waiting for a real frost. Which can't come soon enough, for me. Everything has stopped growing anyway. A real frost would hopefully, kill off the remaining spores of *stuff,* still lingering the air. And still making us sneeze/cough, now and then.

    But we can't hurry Mother Nature!

    🔥 🏡 📚 🔥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't imagine they kept your tires. Cheesh. Love that picture of the snow. I can't wait for some here but I maybe didn't move far enough north when I left Florida. Hope you get your healing freeze soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter already? It's too soon! Though you might just have spring in February, while we have winter until May or June.

    I'm glad to be done with the election. I had voted in the advanced polls, on the Thanksgiving weekend and had done my best to tune out the nonsense. I wasn't happy with any of the choices, but what can you do?

    Enjoy your visit with Eli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why politicians spend most of their time attacking each other. Their flaws are obvious to the voters. We need them to tell us why we should vote for them, not why we shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your flu shot experience was okay. I am finally back to almost normal after 10 days...still get real chilled.
    Reality sets in ...especially with your snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think winter has arrived here on the prairies much sooner than we wished or wanted it to. Most farmers here in the southeast corner of Saskatchewan are still trying to get crops off. Does not look good right now.

    I am so glad the election is over and we can hopefully move on and have the various parties work together.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about a self cleaning house and I live in an RV! ha ha
    At least while no one is looking, you don't have to keep it as clean. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!