Saturday 11 April 2020

Week 4 - an end in sight

I'm referring, of course, to the painting I've been doing in the house.  The main portion of the basement is now complete. Along with my son's bedroom there is a back area, mostly for storage, that needs to be done but I'm in no rush.  I've made up my mind I won't be listing the house this year.  At least for the foreseeable future, open houses are a no-no, and I certainly don't want a bunch of strangers wandering through the house with the potential of spreading the virus.  Further, all signs would suggest that house prices will fall this year due to the financial fall-out of this pandemic.  On a positive note, I have a variable mortgage and with the lower interest rate my payment has been reduced by $50 every two weeks.  I

Sadly, there is no end in sight for the Covid-19 virus and the forecast models so many reporters and individuals were clamoring for would suggest we're in this for the long haul.  Here in Canada we haven't seen the spread to the extent that many other countries have but I expect with the warmer weather coming the number of cases will increase.  I understand that many people will want to be outdoors especially those who live in apartments and condos - they may decide the risk is worth the opportunity to escape the confined spaces.  Then there will the folks who simply decide they've been cooped up long enough and "gosh darn it no gov'ment is going to tell me" what to do.  It's the latter I fear the most. I'm fortunate to have a deck out back, a patio in the front, and a large sun room (for cooler days) so I can get the fresh air I crave.  Just this morning, I stood out on the deck listening to the birdsong. For a few minutes I can think that all is right with the world. 

I did go out on Thursday for groceries and to pick up a prescription for my daughter.  The two stores I went into had arrows on the floor to direct traffic, however there were a number of people who apparently don't read arrow.  Even so, it was fairly quick getting out of both stores.  Getting into the drugstore took a little longer.  I waited about 15 minutes for my turn as they were limiting the store occupancy to 50 people, including staff. I went back later in the day to mail the parcel to Eli and D with the flock of ducks I made for him for Easter, her prescription and some other items.  The wait wasn't quite as long getting in, but there was a woman at the postal outlet counter who ensured the rest of us waited for at least 10 minutes before she stalked out the store, angry that she wasn't able to do what she came to do.  (No fault of the clerk - this person ought to have gone to the main post office).

Looking at the photo, it's clear the momma duck's beak is a little off but it didn't look that bad in person. :p  D sent me the felt for the eyes, and without a hole punch I had to try cutting circles by hand.  They're not perfect, nothing I make ever is, but they were made with love.  Besides he's three and won't care at all - there's chocolate in them there ducklings. Each of the little pooping ducks holds five wrapped chocolates.  D says she'll put one out every day so that the little stinker doesn't get too many.

Currently I have another crochet project on the go, a tote bag and I'm trying to decide what my next knitting project might be.  I like to have one of each - the stitches are different so I don't get confused switching from one to the other.  I sorted through my yarn stash a week or so ago...I probably have enough to keep me knitting/crocheting for most of the year!  I did find a pattern for a sweater that I really like - we'll see whether I get it on the needles or not this weekend.

On Friday, I went to my nephew's home (I know, I know) to help him with his income tax filing.  I felt fairly secure in that he hasn't been working, and other than his parents and sister (my SIL who tested negative) he hasn't had contact with anyone for nearly three weeks.  He is in the reserves and is expecting to be called up shortly so his mother was insistent his return needed to be filed asap.  I could have completed the return myself, but she was also insistent that he needs to know how to do it himself.  Rather than cause more family dissension I walked him through the forms.  We managed to physically distance ourselves fairly well throughout the process and I made certain to change clothing and wash up well when I got home. 

The weather has been fairly cold all week, with lots of wind and even some snow.  Friday the temperature reached 11C (52F) so the last of the ice on the front patio and in the backyard disappeared.  Then, of course it cooled down and our forecast suggests we're in for chilly weather until next Friday.  Pfft! I was hoping to get out and started cleaning up the patio and deck.  The birds and at least one squirrel have been cleaning up the birdseed every day.  The other day I was able to sneak into the sun room and catch the squirrel getting his feed on.



I chuckled when I saw the result of the second photo. It has its eyes closed - is it thinking?  "yum, yum, good?"  

I've read a couple of blogs where the author has come up with a list of things they want to do when this pandemic is over.  Some as many as 50!  I thought I'd try to come up with 10. Except for number 1 they are in no particular order.

1. Hug my daughter and grandson in person.  
2. Have lunch at a local restaurant with my friend K.
3. Visit my brother and family at the farm. 
4. Allow the painters to come in and paint the living room/kitchen/foyer.
5. Visit the garden centers and purchase plants for the containers.  I think this year I'll try growing some vegetables as well.
6. Attend the stitch and chat at the library.
7. Go for coffee with a friend.
8. Take a trip out to the island to see my cousins and uncle.
9. Book a cruise - October 2021 is a possibility.  It gives me an opportunity to visit J in England.
10. Continue to express my gratitude to all who have worked through this pandemic, the health care professionals, the support staff, grocery clerks and those who stock the shelves, truckers, police and fire personnel, and even our politicians who have done so much to ensure we are kept informed and the appropriate safety measures are in place.

I'd love to see your lists, either in the comments or on your own blogs.  Take care and stay well!





12 comments:

  1. The garden centers here are re-opened albeit in a different way by orders and pickups but I do hope by the time you are buying flowers this is over (not likely but one can hope). Mine is similar. I want to go to Ottawa so we can see the kids and hopefully attend their wedding next year. I want to get our missed trip to Mexico. I want to go sit but the ocean any time I want (they've closed more parks so it's harder and harder). I just want freedom again to do what we want when we want how we want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure I have the yard and porch to sit in and enjoy nature - so no need to go out. I have plenty of projects as well, so will take my time and do them as I feel.
    The ducks are cute! I thought the squirrel looked like it may be praying! LOL "Thank you Lord for this food"
    Those people who follow the arrows are probably the same ones that can't drive well wither.
    Stay in and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your duck family is adorable, and made with love is the most important "ingredient" to making anything (food or non-food)!

    Congrats for getting the painting done! I wish I had paint, I could make a go of it down here. I'd planned to do that this spring, but that's not going to happen.

    I'm already stir crazy. I'm lucky to live in an area where I can get out for walks without encountering many people, but even so, being in adjoining housing with a 16'x18' back "yard" feels confining right now. I was so desperate this AM that I hopped on the bus to the nearby shopping centre (Loblaws, a couple of drugstores, pet food store, Dollarama, coffee shop...not a lot, but it's my regular bus transfer point). The bus driver was wearing a mask, the front of the bus still is cordoned off, and no one else was on it, luckily. I was going pop in to Loblaws for a few groceries, but oh the lineup! All 6 feet apart, but ridiculous, stretched around the side of the building. No way was I going to hang around near that many people. I grabbed a London Fog from the coffee shop (I was surprised it was still open) and walked the half-hour home.

    You know, every weekend pre-COVID, I'd wonder what I would do with all the extra time in my life if I didn't have to stand around at bus stops and wait for transit, do all my errands on transit. Now I know what I'd do: nothing! Not one darned thing. That WAS my life. LOL.

    What tops my list of things to do when restrictions ease is going into Starbucks for my favourite tea latté and egg bites. In person. Not via Uber Eats. Face-to-face with humans. While wearing a mask, of course. :-P

    And I'd like to take my camera to Lake Ontario Park or another spot for pics.

    I'd like to see co-workers in person again. Maybe even get to visit out-of-town friends again.

    And I'd like the "luxury" of feeling safe enough to go grocery shopping, to go to the drugstore, etc.

    Right now those things seem to be a long, long way off. I know we'll get through this, but it sure is a bumpy emotional ride.

    Take care, have a lovely and safe Easter in spite of restrictions, and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ducks and that they were filled with chocolate made them all the cuter. As for when this is over, I just want to be free to make my own decisions and to quit living my life according to others rules.
    Hope you have a safe Easter and that you get to do all on your list in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We called an order in to our garden center. We popped the trunk and the placed our bags inside. No contact! Not sure how they are going to handle plants yet. Still early days for our area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog and those duckies are too cute. Eli will love them! I have lots of wool bits too and should get searching for small EASY crochet projects, just for fun. I could make some for our grandson, Easton.
    i like your list.
    Hug the children and grandchildren and pass out our winter gifts
    Happy Hour with friends and sibs
    Birthday dinners with sibs
    Library visits
    Garden centre shopping
    Grocery store shopping without having to think about it
    Work at the laundromat
    Clothing exchanges!
    Sister's LadyFest!
    Costco shopping without lineups.
    :)
    Happy Easter Maebeme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that the little ducks deliver candy! Nice touch Grandma!
    I am waiting for the storm that is predicted today to pass us by and then I am going to set out the plants I bought this week. (Hail is predicted so there was no purpose planting them beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter! I just want to visit and hug my daughters and grands:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is my list for when our new normal happens.

    Hug my family.
    Get to see our oldest son in person instead of through texts, calls and Skype.
    Go for coffee to a friends.
    Attend Mass once again.
    Get books from the library.
    Stop and actually talk to people when I go for my walks.

    I have noticed that people here can't follow arrows either and some seem to refuse to give the 2 meters of space for physical distancing.

    God bless.
    Visit with the neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too think people will be more apt to be out and about come the warm weather. On the other hand, I think being outside, getting more exercise and being in a better frame of mind will put people in better health. What they do then to compromise it will be another story. But I wouldn’t worry about it just yet; the way the weather is going, we won’t be having a spring, let alone a summer, for some time…

    I like the mother-duck’s beak askew. It looks like she has a wry expression; probably something one of her kids did.

    The only thing I can think of that I will do once covid-19 is history is to shake hands with everyone I meet. I’ll be shaking hands like I’m running for office.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved John's reply, especially the last line! And you...my goodness... you as you always do have gotten an enormous amount of things done.
    I just want to be free to go here and there as I always did..have friends over, go out to eat, and visit my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute ducks!

    When this is over? Occasionally have the house to myself (sigh), hang out in public with friends and food, go to my favorite beach, visit Acadia National Park and hike. As for shaking hands, I'll be happy if that never makes a comeback - never liked it one bit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!