Saturday 15 May 2021

All the livelong day

It's amazing how much I can accomplish when the curling (is nearly) finished and the weather is down right beautiful.  We've had a week of plus 20C days and I've been making the most of them.

Monday I had a long list of things to do in the yard, but first I needed to head out to pick up top soil and potting soil.  My first stop was a bust - our nearby Canadian Tire store has an outdoor lot where one can purchase the products.  Every year in the past several, I've gone to that area, told the worker what I needed, he/she gave me a note with the items listed, I'd walk into the store to the cashier, pay for them and go back and have the items loaded in my trunk.  Not this year, he couldn't give me a note and the cashier told me she couldn't sell one of the products I wanted, as it was available in store.  I asked where, grabbed a cart and went to the aisle she indicated, only to find there was none.  So I left the cart, went back to the cashier and said, I'd be purchasing my supplies elsewhere. 

It got better after that.  I found larger bags of the potting soil at a price less than CT, along with top soil and mulch at another store and just for fun, three new containers.  I think the latter must have been last year's stock because they were very inexpensive. I also picked up a ground cover, Japanese Spurge for the front flower bed that is meant for shade. Belatedly I have learned it is invasive but I think I'll leave it be as it is contained within the flower bed, with the house on one side and a sidewalk on the other.  

Back at home, with the car unloaded, I got busy in the yard.  In addition to raking and picking up debris, I scrubbed the deck and the chairs and tables, cleaned out the shed and reorganized it, and pulled out the containers that I store in it over winter.  In the front yard, I swept the patio (again), as well as the driveway before settling in to read for over an hour before C got home from work. 

Tuesday, I didn't get started early, as I had a phone appointment with my doctor.  I had a biopsy three weeks ago, and she called to give me the results; I was thrilled to learn that the samples were benign.  I'd not said anything to anyone, not even my children, as I wanted to know more first.  After that call, I headed out to pick up groceries, but of course, I had to stop in at a couple of garden centers first.  I was able to find some pansies and a bleeding heart. 

Back at home, with groceries put away, I headed back outdoors.  All of the containers, with the exception of the three on the deck, were tidied up with debris removed and a bit of extra potting soil added. The new containers were also filled, and I got the pansies and bleeding heart planted and watered in. (I simply forgot about the ones on the deck.)

Normally I only leave the house once a week, and you would think I would have had enough of being out and about, but Wednesday I had to run some errands for my daughter.  It didn't take much time and I was home in less than an hour.  The sky was looking like rain so I did some computer work, hoping it would clear.  When it neither rained nor cleared, I decided to get outside anyway.  I planted various seeds, peas, radish, lettuce, and sweet peas in a couple of containers.  The last of the containers were tidied up and four plastic grocery bags were filled with pine cones and needles from the spruce in the back yard.  I still have another bag's worth to pick up but it was beginning to thunder so I decided I ought to head back indoors.

Sadly, I had to do housework then. :( The basement, stairs,  front hall and living room were vacuumed, garbage gathered and taken out to the bin, and supper started.  When I finished those chores I was happy to see the sky was clearing up, so I took my book out to relax on the patio. I had about a half hour before the sun hid behind a cloud.  

By Thursday I just couldn't wait any longer to purchase the plants.  I kept telling myself to wait another week but then realized I'd need to harden them off anyway sooo I might as well get them then. Our forecast is for daytime temperatures ranges from 20-30C (68-80F) and nighttime temps of 4-13C (40-55F) over the next two weeks. The coldest night is expected about May 24 (the Monday of a long weekend here) when I'd be planting anyway.  And the forecast that far out is usually wrong.  At least that's how I'm rationalizing my decision.

This year I went with a list based on the purchases I made last year. Since I have three new containers, I knew I'd need to buy a little more.  
In this mass of plants are geranium, petunias, wave petunias, verbena, bacopa, ivy, creeping Jenny, marigolds, lantana, calibrochoa, curly grass, nicotiana, and I suspect a couple of other things I've forgotten. The fuschia has been potted up in a hanging basket.  I'll carry these in and out of the garage for the next few days before I get them into the containers or front flower bed.  I did buy another hosta (black pot in the background) and got it planted as well.  

When I had all of this out of the car, I sat on the sidewalk and sorted them out according to the location of the containers I expect to plant them in.  I discovered I had a few extra plants, but I still need two more hanging baskets.  I'll use these extras to fill those once I buy the containers. 

Friday, I went out again to pick up the two hanging pots, a couple of six-packs of impatiens, and a can of paint. This is the most I've been out for over a year, and since most of it was shopping outdoors and I was masked, I felt quite comfortable.  There was queue at Home Depot at the paint counter - I guess everyone is busy doing home projects.  I'm going to paint the exterior door frames with a similar color as it is now.  The color I chose was Havana coffee, a rich dark brown.  I may still paint the front door a different color but that can wait for now.

Today, I've been puttering - potato salad made for dinner, picked up pine cones in the front and side yard (they never end), raked the grass and put down some additional top soil, fertilizer and seed in the dead patches, and watered it well.  My back yard neighbour has taken down the fence and is out there putting up the new one.  I'm staying out of his way and have the curtains drawn in the sunroom so he doesn't feel he's being spied on. It's overcast and gray, and while it looks like it could rain, there is none in the forecast.  I'm sure he'll appreciate if it holds off until tonight.

That pretty much sums up the week.  Lots of yard work and outdoor time, which I so enjoy, and enough housework the inside doesn't look a total disaster.  I'll probably start planting early Monday morning - we're due for some real heat on Monday and Tuesday (30C/86F plus!) - I'll move them to larger containers, water them well and watch them grow. 

Have a great weekend everyone! Hope you all get a chance to enjoy some time outdoors.



12 comments:

  1. Glad you got to enjoy some nice weather and buy some plants. I still haven't - we had another pretty chilly nights week. YAY on the diagnosis. That has to make you feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same frustrating experience at our Canadian Tire yesterday. I would have left if someone hadn't already paid for my dirt.
    I'm growing almost everything from seed. Still need to get petunia's somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy you sure got busy this week. Good thing curling season ends on time! Lots of plants hardening off here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a whirlwind week with that burst of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the blog here is just like having a cup of hot tea and a cookie to read. Why? I love such activity and you got so much accomplished. I finally got a little rest night before last and used the restored energy to go cleaning and planting here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't suppose you hire out? You really got a lot accomplished and seem to have planting season well started.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your biopsy results were good news. You have been very busy. I planted flowers and some vegetables this week too. I hope your week is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurray for the all-clear re: your biopsy results! It would have been hugely stressful, waiting.

    I wish you'd hire out too, though of course one can't (or shouldn't) travel at this time, especially not to Ontario! The longer I'm at home, the less I do. Probably because while I dislike being away from home in the evenings (I like to sleep in my own bed, thanks), I really hate being cooped up in the house day after day, no real end in sight. (We're still on lockdown, with a stay-at-home order, until June 2. We'll see what happens after that!)

    Have a terrific week, and have fun with all the plants. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Plenty of yard-work! But the most important news was of course your test results. Even if someone is not expecting anything bad (and I don't know what you may have been anticipating), it is a relief to be told that one is in the clear. Excellent news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing raises a persons spirit as going out and buying plants. Good for you.

    I did a no no and planted all the plants I had bought after hardening them off for about a week. Now they are undercover as it has gotten so darn cold. But at least we don't have snow, I will take the rain. I really should have known the beautiful weather wasn't going to last.


    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Benign is the absolute best word in the world. I am so glad.

    Gardening is good for the soul, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My problem with HSV 2 has caused me so many pains/traumas especially in my sex life. I was so afraid of infecting my spouse and suffered the embarrassment of visiting dermatologists. My Doctors prescribed so many Anti-Herpes medications (Antiviral drugs, CBD oil, acyclovir drugs. Unfortunately, they did not give me a definite solution to my problem The solution came from the least expected place, By reading in a specialized forum on the subject mentioned a method for eliminating herpes. Many people had tried with excellent and quick results. I had nothing to lose so I decided to use this method to eliminate my Herpes simplex virus type 2, I spent just 7 days using this method, and the sores and ulcers at Genitals dried up and cleared up completely the outbreaks/pain stopped completely. I recommend this method to anyone who wants to eliminate herpes from their bodies forever. contact Alohaherbalhome@gmail.com or Call/Text:+1(202)871-3222

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!