Saturday 1 May 2021

Busy, and a little dizzy

 It's Friday so that means the Worlds women's curling starts today.  I'm both happy and sad, as this will be the last event until next fall, but will be cheering for our Canadian team (Einarson).  Only the Canadian games will be televised, but World Curling has their own Youtube so I'll catch other games there.  

It's been a busy and full week up until now and am looking forward to some downtime as I plop my butt on the couch to watch.  On the past weekend, one of the arms on my glasses fell off.  Thankfully I have second pair that are primarily meant for computer work so I wasn't totally lost without them.  I assumed I'd lost a screw and called the optometrist's office to confirm I could come in and have the glasses repaired on Tuesday.  Since I was going out I decided I'd do my weekly grocery shop then too.

When I arrived at the business, I was asked to put a medical mask over top the mask I was wearing and filled out a slip with my name, time of visit, and contact information (for contact tracing, if necessary). The technician took one look at the frames and told me it wasn't simply a screw missing.  (Insert jokes here). Since I bought the glasses several years ago, she didn't think they had any of the same in stock, but suggested she would check with other locations and call me back.  

I puttered off to do my grocery shopping and back home to put things away.  She called later in the afternoon to let me know there were none available across Canada. My options were to wait until I have my next appointment on May 25 to get new frames and lenses or to purchase new frames that these lenses could be ground down to fit into.  While I am due for my check-up and may end up with a new prescription, I wasn't about to wait as the computer glasses aren't good for distances.  I asked her to check for two or three options that the lenses would fit into and made arrangements to visit the next morning to decide. 

Then I went back to staining the casings around the bedroom and living room windows.  Not my bedroom windows, the crew was able to use the old ones.  No, these would the spare room bedrooms and those windows were replaced in 2010.  Yeah, I've procrastinated for a long time.  I finished the first coat but have held off on the second because climbing the step ladder has ensured I discovered muscles I'd forgotten I had.  Wednesday was a very sore day!

Regardless of the aches and pains I had an appointment that morning to get the snow tires changed out on my car. Just for fun, Mother Nature pranked me by sending down snow for about 15 minutes that morning, big fat flakes of it.  It didn't last though. On Friday we reached a high of 26C (79F), and it's 20C (68F) today at just after noon. 

From the tire shop I walked over to the mall and the optometrist's office.  They had three pairs ready for me to look at.  The first my lenses would have popped right in, but they were a funky green color and I didn't like the way they looked on - just too dark.  The second pair was perfect, but I tried the third on just in to be sure.  Nope, it was the second pair.  They're similar to my original pair, just slightly smaller.  Even better they were less expensive.  I had a wait of about 50 minutes before the glasses would be ready so I walked the mall instead of walking home.  It's about a 20 minute walk to the mall, so I'd have had to turn around and come back anyway. By the time my glasses were ready and properly fitted, the car was ready too.  Perfect timing!

I spent the rest of Wednesday and Thursday on housework.  The entire house was vacuumed, more floors were washed and the bathrooms were scrubbed.  During my breaks (and there were several) I caught up on some more programs I missed in the last couple of weeks.  It was also a day of phone calls, I had a good chat with my friend S, my brother R, and several calls from my daughter.  While I chatting with R I was in the sun room watching the birds feed.  There were at least a dozen birds feeding at one point, until another visitor showed up. 




She/he stood and stared at me for several minutes and only turned around to leave when I went to the door.  What a pretty cat, and based on the quality of it's coat, it's well taken care of...except for being allowed to roam.

Before I settled in to watch curling, I got a pasta salad and a mac & cheese casserole ready.  Later I grilled burgers for dinner to go along with the salad.  The mac & cheese will get eaten along with leftover sausage from Thursday night today.  It's one of my son's favorite meals - I never have to worry about leftovers!

This morning I was up at with the cat alarm (5:45 a.m.).  With the daylight showing up earlier, even with the bedroom curtains drawn, Sasha believes that breakfast should come early.  That's okay, it's nice to get my day off to an early start.  I fed the birds, put away clean dishes, caught up on the news and had a cup of tea before D called for her morning chat.  When we were done, I decided to enjoy my second cup of tea in the sunroom.  Easily distracted, I moved the furniture and cat beds, vacuumed and dusted the room, replaced a couple of the striped towels that were dirty, replaced the furniture and cat beds and sat down to a cold cup of tea.  

The towels are now whizzing around the washing machine, I've watched one draw, and waiting for the second to start.  There are few things I need to do (on the computer) beforehand, so I'll take my lunch and laptop to the sunroom after I post this.  

Have a great week ahead everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Loved this! We have similar ways here and there, about how we do things I think. Why I enjoy reading your days...and by the way, what made me say this comment, was how you went into the sunroom for the second cuppa and started doing things. Amen!! Sounds awfully familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got your frames replaced. I always keep my last pair as a spare.
    That cat really was giving you the stare. Amazing eyes. What does Sasha think of the trespasser?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy, busy gal. Glad you could find replacements for your frames.
    That kitty sure is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty cat! If h/she was browner in colour, I would be looking at a ringer for angel Annie, especially with those eyes. ♥

    I'm glad you found frames for the lenses! I have my 2-year check in June, probably will need a new prescription. I never did wear the progressives I got the last time...Now and again I try, but I hate them, everything seems tilted and I struggle so much with where to look. It's getting to the point, though, that even my mid-distance (which always was fine), is no longer clear. I blame it all on staring at computer screens so much for decades, not on aging, of course. :-P

    I wish I had a tenth of your energy. I think I do less now, working from home, than I did before. Probably because (a) I've stopped caring about most things in the house and (b) I always think, oh, I can get to that tomorrow, or whenever. Ha.

    Take care and have a terrific week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a busy week. It's astonishing how much trouble, or just plain work, a tiny misplaced screw - or anything equally small - can cause. I get the feeling that fifty or sixty years ago, you could have gone to a local optometrist who would have looked in a little box, produced a screw from a disordered collection and repaired your glasses for a cost too small to charge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did have a busy week. That kitty sure is pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you opened the opportunity for a joke because I was just itching to say that we all seem to work just fine with a screw loose! However, on glasses, different story. I have about 4 pair of usable glasses that I switch out on. I got them over the last years that I worked, ordering from Zenni.com. If you know your prescription, they are excellent glasses from the Republic of china and most under $100 frames and lenses. anyway, I get tired of the same pair easily so now that we go to Mexico, every 2nd year Bill and I get our eyes tested and usually buy a new pair of glasses at great rates. ;)
    Beautiful kitty, such an exotic stare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very glad that your glasses problem was fixed quickly and easily. All of us who wear glasses can relate to how lost you are if you don’t have distance glasses that are good. And I bet that it made watching curling better because you could see better! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!