Saturday 22 May 2021

Whee....what a ride!

 I think I've mentioned before that Saskatchewan weather can be variable and this week definitely proved that statement.  Sunday through Tuesday were absolutely gorgeous, with high temps reaching 30C (86F) plus!  I spent as much time as possible outdoors.  The yard work slowed down from last week as I decided against planting the annuals due to the potential forecast of snow for Thursday and Friday.  Yes, you read that right, the weather folks were suggesting we might have snow. In fact, several areas of Saskatchewan did get snow - we lucked out here in the city.  But just for fun, we had a thunderstorm blow through on Tuesday evening.  Not much rain in it, at least here, but lots of thunder.

The weather forecasters weren't entirely correct. We didn't get snow, and the rain that was expected to start at midnight on Wednesday didn't arrive until 8 a.m. on Thursday.  It got even colder overnight Thursday into Friday, but again we missed the worst of it, with no snow or much freezing rain. The small town my daughter lives in wasn't as lucky.  She sent me this photo - her spruce tree in front of the house sustained some serious damage as did the trees across the street and in the next door neighbour's yard.  While we were chatting she heard and saw more branches falling.  
This photo is of the cedar in her back yard that was covered in ice. Later in the day, the community declared a state of emergency as much of the town was without power.  Luckily D and Eli were in the portion that didn't lose power.

For most of the week, I kept the annuals out on the patio and the tomatoes and peppers on the back deck to harden them off for planting sometime next week.  It helps not to have to drag them in and out of the garage but that had to be done for the nights when the temperature fell below freezing.  The garage is well-insulated and I brought the veg into the house.  I had to run an errand for D on Friday morning, and the car registered a temperature of 12C (54F) so they were safe.


Besides the weather there were a few other things happening this week:

My neighbour and his father-in-law finished putting up the new back fence on the weekend. (My contribution was financial).  The yards don't match up, so the fence on the right is the part the first neighbour put up, the one on the left is the new fence.  I bought a piece of garden art at Walmart a couple of weeks ago and hung it this week.  It reminds me what is to come in the weeks ahead.

Now, of course, the rest of the fence looks ratty. I chatted with my east side neighbour's G and D through the sunroom window, and we've decided to replace that fence as well.  I'll probably do the west side as well depending on the estimated cost. 

On Monday, I drove my son to the vaccination center.  Good thing I did because he misunderstood where it was located and would have ended up in a far different place.  He had a bit of a sore arm, but otherwise no side effects.  The province health authority has put out a tentative schedule of when we might expect to get our second doses - as of now, it looks like I should be eligible the week of June 7.  However, that is considering only Pfizer and Moderna does, but since my first dose was Astra Zeneca, they may open it up to us earlier.  In any event, I expect it will be just a few weeks before I'm fully vaccinated.  I guess that is one of the benefits of living in a province that isn't densely populated.  Though I wish we had better access to direct flights from here.  

Oh yes, I haven't shared this with you yet.  I've booked a cruise.....in January 2023!  It's a full transit through the Panama Canal from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles with five ports along the way.  

I had been researching cruises for a little while but wasn't prepared to pull the trigger just yet - definitely not in 2021 and likely not in 2022. But this one has been on my bucket list for some time and when it showed with a very reasonable price, I dithered for a minute or two and called my travel agent.  It is the first leg of the world cruise (111 days) but until I win a lottery I'll just be doing the first 14 days.  

L put a hold on the cabin for my (an interior) before she called for my credit card information. Imagine my joy to learn that the price she was quoted was a few hundred dollars less than the mock booking I'd done.  Better still while we were chatting, she mentioned the insurance I'd purchased for the U.K. cruise that had to be cancelled. I told her I assumed that insurance would have lapsed.  She checked into it for me and learned it couldn't be transferred as the cruises were on different cruise lines...but I was eligible for a refund and it covered two thirds of my deposit.  Bonus!

Back to this week, though I spent a fair amount of time outdoors, mostly reading and enjoying the beautiful weather, I did get extra work done inside. The house windows that I didn't replace because they look into the sunroom, were looking pretty dirty and the frames needed a paint touch-up.  When the sunroom was put on (prior to my purchase) the screen door was removed but the holes left by the hinges and so on weren't filled.  To be honest I didn't notice when I bought the house - I was just thrilled with the existence of the sunroom. It was far past time for the holes to be filled in and the door frame needed painting too.  I did wood filler and window cleaning on Monday, sanded the door frame and painted the window frames on Tuesday, then did the first coat on the door frame the next day.  I want add a bit more wood filler in a few places so when it warms up again, I'll finish the job.  

Then I decided I was tired of all the old blinds remaining in the house.  I had asked the crew to remove the old ones on the windows that were replaced.  So I unlatched the rest - in some cases they needed a little extra encouragement - and took them down.  Oh my, they were dusty!  They all went in the bin and I likely won't replace them.  The sunroom blocks the direct sunlight reaching the kitchen and I like the fact there is more light coming in.  In fact, I have no plans to put anything on the big bay window either.  The big spruce in front provides sufficient privacy from the street and I don't mind being able to see who is coming up the front sidewalk.

On Wednesday, after a few regular household chores, I headed out for a walk.  It was 13C (55F), a whole lot cooler than it had been, and when the wind was in my face it felt even cooler.  But it was still a beautiful day for a walk!


The geese were feeding by the pond.

The ducks were enjoying the sun.  While the male mallard's head color is striking, I actually prefer the markings on the female.  She's so pretty!


Mom and Dad goose were bringing the babies to the shore.  They've already grown so much in just a week!


The cormorant was back in its preferred spot. By the end of last summer there were five of them.  I wonder if the pair is back and will raise another brood.  


This is a photo of the pond from the west side of the pond.  I think most of the photos I've taken of it were from the opposite side.  It would be wonderful to live in one of the less expensive condos on the right side of this photo.  If money were no issue the large condo on the left (lightest color), is up for sale, listed at for just under $2M.  Yeah...even I won the lottery I wouldn't pay that much for it!

On the cool and rainy days, I also had the opportunity to watch some curling.  The World's mixed doubles curling is being held in Aberdeen, Scotland. Our Canadian team has done well and won their qualifying round for the finals.  That game was aired at 3 a.m. my time - I did not get up to watch it, even I'm not that much of a die-hard fan - instead I PVR'ed it and watched when the alarm cat went off at 6 a.m. I'm currently watching the semi-final between Norway and Sweden, which will be followed by Canada and Scotland.  Go Canada go!

We're on the upswing of temperatures today and no rain is forecast so I'm hoping to get out for a walk at some point.  And maybe, just maybe play in the dirt tomorrow. 

Have a great weekend everyone! 

11 comments:

  1. What a weather week - my goodness. Oh,, those babies are so sweet.
    I have been doing odds and ends here just trying to whittle my list down a tad!
    2M is a LOT of money! I can't even imagine living in a place that expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wild weather swings. From 80's to an ice storm. Yikes. So glad D and Eli didn't lose power.
    Your cruise sounds really great and by 2023 things should be safe. Those baby geese are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, that was wild weather indeed! I hope power was restored quickly to all who were impacted.

    You must be so excited to have a cruise booked!

    I'm impressed that you will get your second vaccine so quickly. Even Mom, in Halifax, has to wait 4 months for her second Pfizer shot, as does Dad out in BC. I had the first one yesterday, the second not until September.

    That $2M condo better be amazing inside. Crazy real estate prices. My dream of detached housing, anywhere in Canada, is just that, a dream.

    The fence must have cost an astronomical amount, given the massive increase in the price of the lumber. I certainly hope that 2022 will bring a return to more reasonable prices, especially as the supply chain normalizes post-pandemic.

    The goslings are so adorable. Great pics!

    Take careand have a terrific weekend and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I have read all of your latest posts and replied like I usually do, but have been having some glitch with my phone. Some comments have posted and some have gone into the great beyond. Instead of going back to each blog and reposting my original comments (Like I could even remember what I said), I am taking the lazy way out and copying and pasting this to everyone.Be assured my responses have been their normal type. Choose one
    (a). sincere (b). pithy (c). vapid (d). sarcastic (e) encouraging (f) boring as usual.
    From now on I will comment only using the laptop. It is kinder to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the pictures of all the ducks, geese and just whoever you find to give us beauty to enjoy. Awful about the ice and the damage it did where your daughter lives. I thought the last blog I read from you that you would be planning a cruise any time and I was right! Another long time but with light at the end of the tunnel. I know you will enjoy that doubly as you have had to wait so long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ducks are beautiful1 Oh my!!! what a rollercoaster weather you had!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great Cruise! Gives a person something to look forward to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, before I forget I commented before I read your post. My request is that you remove the snowy header picture on your blog. Ha ha, enough snow already! I hope you take that suggestion as it is meant and don't take offense. :) Now, I'll read. That is some crazy weather you've had. I can't get over that they are still mentioning the 's' word. Maybe when you change the pix, it will stop? Glad you didn't get it. Storms can be real scary, glad D and Eli had no outage.
    You've been busy, my goodness! I'm tired just reading! Enjoy the warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yuck, sorry about your cold spell. Glad you are doing well and now have a cruise to look forward to. I just booked a 3 night getaway to a nearby Island the end of June for Hubby's birthday surprise, I am sure I will be well enough for us to do that as I am feeling great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was some storm, a real spring ice-storm; I’d rather have snow! It was a contrast in photos with the ice on the spruce, and then a flowering tree behind your fence. Spring in Saskatchewan…

    That’s thinking ahead to a cruise in January in 2023. Maybe you’ll avoid more storms like the one your daughter experienced!

    By the way, I stopped by and gave birthday wishes to Sasha. I’m sorry I missed his day earlier in the week, but I wanted to write that you must be treating that fellow right for him to reach such an age and in good form. Sure, he sleeps a lot but I would too if all my other needs were taken care of like his are. May he see many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My problem with HSV 2 has caused me so many pains/traumas especially in my sex life. I was so afraid of infecting my spouse and suffered the embarrassment of visiting dermatologists. My Doctors prescribed so many Anti-Herpes medications (Antiviral drugs, CBD oil, acyclovir drugs. Unfortunately, they did not give me a definite solution to my problem The solution came from the least expected place, By reading in a specialized forum on the subject mentioned a method for eliminating herpes. Many people had tried with excellent and quick results. I had nothing to lose so I decided to use this method to eliminate my Herpes simplex virus type 2, I spent just 7 days using this method, and the sores and ulcers at Genitals dried up and cleared up completely the outbreaks/pain stopped completely. I recommend this method to anyone who wants to eliminate herpes from their bodies forever. contact Alohaherbalhome@gmail.com or Call/Text:+1(202)871-3222

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!