Saturday 29 May 2021

Keeping busy or not

 I'm tired.  It's Friday morning as I start writing this post and my tiredness is mostly due to a busy day yesterday and interrupted sleep last night.  More on that later.

Monday was a statutory holiday here in Canada, my son had the day off, it was cool and rainy and I didn't accomplish much of anything.  I guess even when you're retired you can take a holiday. :) Tuesday morning I had my bi-annual eye appointment.  I knew I'd need a new prescription because I was having some difficulty seeing distances in particular, and felt that I was using one eye more than the other.  Well it turns out I was correct, except the eye I thought was being used more wasn't, but it was the one that had the most change.  Perhaps it was the strain of using it was making me feel that way.  The other eye also had changed prescription.  It was an expensive outing - I was able to find a less expensive pair of frames, but the lenses cost a pretty penny.  My health insurance doesn't cover much but at least I did get about 25% of the costs back. 

Wednesday was another quiet day, still cool and wet so I puttered around in the house.  The door frame in the sunroom got its final sanding and coat of paint.  It's amazing how much nicer things look with a coat of fresh paint.  I also took out the old linoleum under the kitchen sink and replaced it with some peel and stick tile.  It looks fresh and clean under there now too.  

Thursday was a busy day.  D and Eli came into the city for his 4 year check-up with the doctor.  They arrived at 7:15 a.m.!  D said, Eli woke up at 5 and said let's go to Grandma's.  That's pretty much what they did - I think she was just as excited to visit as well - they haven't been here since Christmas.  We visited for a bit, before she headed off to do a bit of early shopping while Eli and I planted some of the annuals. He's a pretty good hole digger. :)  He soon got bored with that, and headed to the back yard where his outdoors toys were in a bin.  I would do a bit of planting, then go check on him or he'd show up to tell me something important like: Mr. Ant is his friend. When I finished in the front, I moved the rest of the annuals to the back yard.  I dumped the bird bath as it was looking pretty gross after the rain and the debris from the trees, cleaned it up and moved it to a more open area (still near the trees).  Eli helped me fill it with clean water.  

D arrived home about that time and we decided a walk to the pond was in order.  She was concerned that Eli couldn't/wouldn't walk that far but he was a real trooper, most often running ahead of us.  Here are some of the photos from that walk:

There were several blackbirds chasing a crow.  I'm assuming it had ventured too close to their nesting area. 



The first baby ducks I've seen this year, and it was the only batch of ducklings at the pond.

A gaggle of goslings.  There were eight of them with the parents.  I think it is the same group I posted last week.
The pelicans were busy grooming themselves or napping. 

And here is proof, there is a muskrat using the pond!  I had seen it last fall, but across the pond and at a distance that I wasn't able to clearly see it.  This time it came swimming towards us and it dived under the cat tail reeds at the edge.  I wonder if there is a pair or if this is a loner.  It would be fun to see baby muskrats too. 

On the way back to the house we stopped in at the little park about a block away.  Eli played for a few minutes but he was thirsty and wanted to get back to G'ma's.  He did oblige my request for a photo opportunity.  I even got a wee bit of a smile. :)  He's getting so big.

Back at home, and after lunch, I was able to get the rest of the planting in the back complete.  I could have used a nap, but there was no rest for this weary G'ma.  We played in my car - Eli drove me to Tim Hortons and McDonalds, and we played hide and seek (he hid in the car, I would pretend to look all over before I'd find him).  

When my son arrived home, about 4:30, Eli's attention turned to Uncle C.  The two of them ran and chased each other upstairs and down, and there were lots of giggles - they have such a good time together.  They stopped briefly for dinner before the "c'mon Uncle C" started up again.  When D put Eli in the bath, C said to me, "maybe I can get 20 minutes of quiet time".  Yep, that little guy tires us all out and eventually tires himself out too.  By 7 p.m. he was yawning, so his mom tucked him into bed and he was out like a light less than five minutes later.  

Unfortunately his mother is having issues with her sleep, finding it difficult to get to sleep or stay asleep, so is up and down many times in the night.  As a result my sleep was disrupted too as I'm so accustomed to a quiet house.  I think I finally gave up on sleep about 3:30 when she had a shower.  I stayed in bed until 4:30 when I heard Eli up as well.  I knew there would be no sleeping after that. 

They headed home shortly after 9 a.m., as D had arranged the day prior for Eli's check-up to be done by telephone later in the day.  We measured and weighed him in advance of the call.  At 4 years old, he is 42  lbs. (19kg) and 41.5 inches (105 cm) tall.  I have no idea is where this puts him on a growth chart... no matter, I think he's just perfect the way he is.

I did get a nap in later in the afternoon as well - it was much needed.  When I woke up, I headed outdoors and finished planting the last of the annuals in the front flower bed.  I also took the opportunity to move around a couple of the perennials. Whether I've left that too late, and may lose them, I don't know but I guess in a few days I'll know for sure.

This morning started out sunny, but the clouds have been coming and going as the wind is a-blowing. After my morning tea and breakfast in the sun room,  I've been out to mow the lawn, mulch the flower bed, and pull a few weeds.  Since the neighbour's are in their yard across the back with their two small children, my plan is to head for the patio out front to read.  Funny, I haven't read much over the winter, but I've finished two books in the last couple of weeks and am well into my third.  The library opened this week to in-person visits so I'll have to stop by at some point.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 

12 comments:

  1. Hope you get rested uyp! I have been tired also...maybe it is the spring activities:) Your Eli is sure cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy yet enjoyable time!!! He sure is handsome fellow! Enjoy your yard and the quiet for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had really fun if exhausting visitors. Eli is so cute and I guess he passed his phone Dr. visit.
    I need glasses too but boy are they expensive. I gather they aren't any cheaper across the border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your nature pictures!! They are superb.

    Eli looks as if he is having a wonderful time. Get some rest.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That amount of energy is amazing! I'm sure your grandson tired everyone out and made them appreciate a nap! I was surprised to see the pelican. I never would have thought you'd have pelicans there. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ducklings and goslings are so sweet. I've never seen a pelican here, have no idea if they even make it to Ontario, or this part of the province at any rate.

    In spite of how exhausting it was, I'm sure it was fantastic to have your daughter and Eli visit. It's hard to believe he's already 4. Does Saskatchewan have junior kindergarten? If so, I would guess he'd be going this fall. Or maybe already senior kindergarten?

    I've been tired since I was 19; lol. I have a lot of sympathy--and empathy!--for those who struggle with sleep, whatever the reason (in my case, mostly body pain and night sweats right now.) I used to be able to nap, but it's been a long time since I've been able to sleep at length in the afternoon.

    Anyway, have a great week; take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is refreshing to hear of your visits with D and Eli during these crazy times. The pix of the ducklings is my favourite, the colours in her feathers is striking.
    Love Eli on the slide, I have a grandson who never gave me a decent smile. he always goofed up. now that he is older, he's getting much better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the pictures every one. And Eli! That little face and side eye he was giving with that small smile! Oh my gosh! He is adorable. He is the same size, at the same age, as my middle boy was. He grew to be 5'8 as an adult. Package up the Red Winged Blackbird and send him here! I LOVE them.
    I daren't nap in the day. I can only sit with Katie on my lap for a pre-determined 10-15 minutes with my eyes closed looking every few minutes at the time. I actually doze between those glances. If I stay longer, I won't sleep at night. Bad enough as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a little cutie your grandson is! You give new meaning to keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot going on, but I can understand the fatigue. That nap you had was certainly well-earned. I have come to appreciate naps myself.

    Eli is four already? Good Heavens...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the baby birds. The ducklings are my favorite! Whew, you sound busy. I'm glad that you've had a nap and are catching up on your sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My problem with HSV 2 has caused me so many pains/traumas especially in my sex life. I was so afraid of infecting my spouse and suffered the embarrassment of visiting dermatologists. My Doctors prescribed so many Anti-Herpes medications (Antiviral drugs, CBD oil, acyclovir drugs. Unfortunately, they did not give me a definite solution to my problem The solution came from the least expected place, By reading in a specialized forum on the subject mentioned a method for eliminating herpes. Many people had tried with excellent and quick results. I had nothing to lose so I decided to use this method to eliminate my Herpes simplex virus type 2, I spent just 7 days using this method, and the sores and ulcers at Genitals dried up and cleared up completely the outbreaks/pain stopped completely. I recommend this method to anyone who wants to eliminate herpes from their bodies forever. contact Alohaherbalhome@gmail.com or Call/Text:+1(202)871-3222

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!