Saturday 8 May 2021

Ups and downs and turn-around

 Well, this week sure had it's share of disappointments  but eventually things turned around.  On Sunday it was announced that the World Curling broadcasts would be postponed (and later cancelled) as four cases of Covid-19 were detected in the broadcast crews. Initially it was only going to be for a day or so, but as additional cases were detected, up to seven on Tuesday, there was another announcement that no further games would be aired until Friday afternoon. As it turned they were able to get back to the arena by Friday morning and all of the draws, not only those with Canada as a participant, were aired. 

In the meantime, Curling Canada provided updates on Twitter of the Canadian games and I was able to catch the live scoring on the World Curling website but it was a poor substitute.  But, I do understand the need to keep the athletes, officials, and all of the broadcast crew safe. I should note that the broadcast crews stay in a separate hotel and except for the camera crew, who maintain an appropriate distance, there is no physical interaction between the players and on-ice crew with the broadcasters. All interviews are done virtually and it seems to be working as no athlete or official has been infected. Since the return to television, the camera crew hasn't been permitted on-ice so we're getting some different looks. All good!

So, with no curling for much of the week, I thought I'd tackle some bigger projects; spend my time decluttering in the house, working in the yard and setting up containers for planting in a few weeks.  But also on Sunday, as I was putting down the bowl of cat food for Saku, I twisted and popped something in my left hip.  The pain radiated through the muscles down my leg and into my lower back.  It actually took my breath away it hurt so bad.  I spent the next 24 hours in significant pain, using Advil as an anti-inflammatory and extra strength Voltaren for the muscle pain. Monday was a write-off, as I was in a fog most of the day and I couldn't concentrate on anything.  That evening I laid down on the bed on my stomach and did a few stretching exercises.  One of them, what I would call a frog kick (if you've done the breast stroke in swimming you'll know what I mean), resulted in another pop and the pain immediately went from a 8 to a 4 out of 10.  What a relief!

I did get my grocery shopping done on Tuesday but getting in and out of the car was quite painful. Each day the muscle pain was reduced and I was able to do a bit of housework on Wednesday including laundry, sweeping and vacuuming.  

By Thursday, I was feeling some better.  The afternoon was lovely with a temperature of 16C (61F) so after lunch I headed outdoors.  No point in just sitting around and I figured I'd just stop doing something if it hurt.  An hour later I had: the back lawn raked and debris picked up, cleaned and filled the bird bath,  swept the front patio and used my grabber to pick up pine cones, and got the front flower bed tidied.  There are few green shoots starting to show but I can't recall what it is.  I'll have to find my garden book and check my diagram.

By Friday, just in time for the re-start of the curling, my hip/back was almost back to normal.  Getting up and moving from a sitting position, especially if I've sat for an extended time does cause some discomfort but I can live with that! It just means I must get up between ends and walk a little bit.  Canada was in the first draw of the day and won their game handily.  They've had an up and down week too, and needed a win by Switzerland in the afternoon to make the play-offs. Switzerland started off by scoring two points in the first end and continued to run over their competition. So Canada is in the playoffs and have a spot in the Olympics.  Phew!

Some other good news to share, my daughter was able to book an appointment for her vaccination as she was eligible as of Tuesday.  She was able to book on-line before the site crashed temporarily.  Today, she got a call from a friend who works at the local hospital - they had some extra doses so she headed down to the clinic and was able to get her first vaccine!  My son is eligible as of today, but there are no appointments available in the city and the local pharmacies are only providing wait lists. Hopefully later this week.

There are three draws today of curling, Canada is currently on the ice with Sweden.  A win and they make the semi-finals, a loss and they are out.  The two teams have played each other a few times in the past couple of weeks and the games are always tight. I'm not making any kind of prediction.

Since I didn't get out walking this week, I'll share a photo of my cat Saku.  I was able to open the sunroom in the afternoons.  Thursday, it was quite warm out there - I had one of the windows open and the fan running.  The photo was taken after he'd had his supper. I'm not sure if he's simply cooling off his belly or if he ate too much!


Have a good weekend everyone!



13 comments:

  1. So sorry for all the pain you went through. Nothing worse than back pain. Dang I hang when just a slight move results in a day/week like that. Glad you are feeling more back to normal.
    I love seeing kitties lay like that - mine do too. Must be such extreme trust in them to be so relaxed.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow! I am not a doctor (I don't even play one on tv) but it sounds like something went out in your hip and you managed to put it back in; the residual pain was probably the musvcles that had suffered when the something was out of place. I'm glad you were able to put it back by yourself. Good thinking with the stretching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems you managed to give yourself an adjustment with that frog kick. At least you were able to reduce the pain levels.
    Maybe if we lay more like Saku does, we would all have less back problems.
    Keep healing and hope you all make the semi-finals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your hip is feeling better. I have been getting two cortisone shots in my hip every 4-5 months. It still gives me a lot of trouble during the night but isn't too bad during the day. My knee is another story. I'm waiting to hear from an orthopedic surgeon but who knows when that will be. It has been raining, none stop, here since yesterday. Not going to be any better for Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew - glad to hear you were able to pop something back in place. Could you send a little of your warm weather back east? Also glad to hear your daughter got her vaccine. Husband and I are later this month. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. You title pretty accurately sums up life. I am glad that pain was of relatively short duration although it never feels short when you have it. Your cat seems unconcerned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch, Those back spasms sure are nasty aren't they? I'm going to give your frog kick a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God to hear you are better, it was a rough week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry you had the hip issue. I have found as I have gotten older that just moving differently than I normally do can cause something to hurt__badly.
    Glad you are on the mend and thankful for every single person who gets the Covid vaccine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it good to know a few exercise tricks? I'm so glad you were able to relive some of the pain, it sounded awful! Just not being able to move easily is tough on us.
    Also glad you could get some curling in too. What a pretty fat cat! Looks like he ate too much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, gosh, I'm cringing at the pain and am sorry you went through that. I hope it never happens again!

    Take care and have a great Sunday and week ahead, and happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouch! Glad you're doing better. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, that actually sounds a lot like a pinched nerve pain. Maybe the second pop was what you were able to move whatever was pressing on it, the nerve, which lessened the pain. The rest was /is recovery. Maybe.
    Saku, Mom and I LOVED seeing you all spread out like that on your back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!