Sunday 5 January 2020

Getting back to real life

While I spent much of the day on New Year's watching football and a movie (!), the rest of the week has been spent doing housework. Who would have thought in 2020, we wouldn't have a robot maid like the Jetsons that would keep the house clean and tidy?  I guess I'm my own Rosie.  

Yes, I watched a movie and it was a waste of time.  Inglorious Basterds was about an elite group of fighters in WWII, a young Jewish woman who escapes the Nazis, and a German actress who operates as an underground agent for the Allies.  Spoiler alert - I don't believe any of it is factual or if it is, Tarantino took licence with the characters and the plot.  For example, in the late stages of the movie, four senior Nazi officials supposedly die in a fire, but of course that didn't happen.  Would that they had, as it would may have ended the war much sooner.  

I did manage to get out for a walk though.  With the temperature hovering at the freezing mark and little wind it was a lovely day to be out in the fresh air.  While it's not clear in the photo, some residents of the condo unit have cleared a skating rink on the pond.  Someone had to have played hockey as there were goals on either end.  I'd be too afraid to go out on the ice but I'm sure someone had fun!  I believe my fear is the result of my Dad losing control of our station wagon when I was about 7 or 8.  We ended up on the ice on the neighbour's slough.  Dad left us (three children) in the backseat while he walked to the house several hundred meters away.  I don't recall much but I do know I was afraid the car would break through the ice before he got back.  It didn't and Victor pulled us out with his tractor, but I've never entirely gotten over my fear. 

While it's been just a few days since New Year's Day but I feel like it's been much longer.  Not that I haven't been busy because I certainly have been.  More so, because I'm back to a more regular routine.  The cats ensure I'm awake no later than 7 a.m. and most days earlier.  Their internal alarm clocks are amazing, especially since, once they've eaten, they spend the rest of the day napping.  I'd be happy if they'd give me an extra half hour in the morning, but that's not happening.

Back to the housework.  In addition to the regular chores, I've started my de-cluttering; thus far the kitchen, the linen closet, and my bedroom dresser have been gone through, sorted, with some things ending up in the trash, others in the donation pile, and the rest tidied up and put away.  I just went through this exercise last February and March, and yet I'm still finding things to get rid of, though not nearly as much as last years round.  There are two small bags of clothing to be donated, as well as a few kitchen items.  Some ratty towels have been relegated to the rag pile.  My goal is to finish the entire house by the end of January.  

C wasn't feeling well Friday evening, so our dinner was postponed.  We got together instead on Saturday evening. It's always a pleasant visit as we never run out of things to talk about.

Today I'm watching junior hockey.  Our Canadian team has made it into the gold medal game, hooray!  They'll be playing Russia, a team that  beat us earlier in the tournament 6-0.  Yikes!  But since a change in goaltender Canada has won every game.  So perhaps they've found the winning formula.  Currently, the Sweden and Finland are playing in the bronze medal game. Both are very good teams and a interesting game to watch.  I have to say, watching the juniors is more exciting than the NHL.  These kids play hard!
Finally, before I forget, I thought I'd share my experience using the Instant Pot as a slow cooker.  Jackie mentioned in the comments that it doesn't work well, and she was definitely right.  While the chili did cook, after 6 hours it wasn't very hot so I switched to a pressure cooker and gave it 4 minutes.  Much better!  What I did like was how quickly it cleaned up.  With the slow cooker I almost always end up with the chili cooked onto the sides of the pot, it just poured right out of the inner pot of the Instant Pot.  

Have a great week everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are keeping busy. De-cluttering never seems to end at my house. I could do this forever and still have stuff!
    You are so right about the kitties. Indoor cats wake me at exactly the same time every morning without fail, and the outdoor kitties are at the door at the same time as well. No sleeping in for them. Breakfast calls!!!
    I will be working on de-cluttering as well this week. Don't over do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I can't like Tarentino movies. I watched "Pulp Fiction", liked it, watched it again, and was bored stiff. I find him to be like a teenager, who thinks what's cool are things I thought were cool - when I was a teenager.

    I too feel that it's been a long time since the beginning of the year. Perhaps it's because we get back to our routines so swiftly after Christmas and New Year's Day. I think Christmas had more feeling when it was celebrated for twelve days. But then, I think most things were better in the 'once was'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For certain. I have a saying but I won't depress anyone with it now.

      Delete
  3. You've been a busy gal! I have a few cupboards that need to be gone through before Wednesday. It is a garage sale day in here and maybe I can rid of a couple of things. I'm inpressed with your decluttering.
    Good job with the Instant Pot. You know I love love love mine. Not for the slow cooker setting though I've never tried that. I like quicker meal cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the feedback on the Instapot. I love my slow cooker and want to stick with it but hubby likes new shiny things lol. I think I will win this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for the de-cluttering and neating up. It's a never ending battle, it seems. But a good one, to keep after. Before we end up, back at Ground Zero again.

    Still not ready to take Christmas down here. -smile- When it's time, I will know. No rush though.. What is the rush, I wonder? But like everything, each person does things, at their own pace.

    ⛄💛⛄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I read about someone decluttering I think "I should do that." Sadly thinking is about as far as I get. Maybe I can designate one day a week to decluttering. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I declutter sporadically but I do declutter. As when I do the jobs I don't like. I'll start with one, and usually go on to several more I dislike and feel so virtuous when I finish. I did three today! One was cleaning the vacuum...all of the 3 foam filters, and the screens and "cyclonic" chambers...good day in the morning! What a pain in the neck but worth it as that is THE best vacuum I have EVER owned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaay for decluttering! We've been cleaning out, throwing out, giving away and just generally streamlining our home the past couple of months. The only big thing I have left to go through are the photographs. I'll make three piles: one for each son, one for me, and the rest will go. I'm not a scrapbooker, but I'd like to get them all in one box.
    I don't have an instapot, but use my slow cooker almost every weekend. Have you tried slow clooker liners? One of civilization's greatest inventions, as far as I am concerned. Makes clean up a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, you know how I excited I get about decluttering! Good for you! It's always a process, at least for me, because I shop so much. So "stuff" flows out...but different stuff flows back in. LOL. Right now my garage is filled with cast-off Ikea furniture, waiting for donation. I'm going to arrange for a junk pickup later this month and let them take it all, as they partner with local charities (Habitat for Humanity for one) and what can be donated, will be. Easier and more convenient for me just to have someone come once and take it all--the garbage and the good stuff.

    I would be leery of going out on a frozen pond too, if it was deep enough to be of concern. And I don't have the memory of a terrible experience, as you do!

    I hope you have a great week...when you're done in your house, feel free to teleport over here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have an instant pot either. I love using the crockpot liners!! The best invention ever!! I use my crockpot a lot more now that I have the liners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I was tooting my own horn about decluttering and didn't mention that awful experience you had worrying about the car sinking. I would have been marked by that too...and I doubt I would get over it. I'm deathly afraid of treading on ice unless someone can prove it's a foot thick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I swear that items seem to multiply once a person starts decluttering.

    I read somewhere that the slow cooking function just heats the bottom of the InstantPot and that is why the slow cook function isn't the best. I still have my slow cooker for this exact reason. I, also like the way the InstantPot cleans in comparison.

    I think I would have reacted the same way as you are to frozen ponds if I had that experience. Harvey took me ice fishing once and even though the ice was 3 feet thick I could still hear it cracking. Have I ever gone ice fishing again? Not on your life.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am decluttering too...sorting etc. Scary story about the ice. I use a slow cooker liner sometimes in my crockpot it makes clean up a breeze:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I purged the linen cupboard today. That felt good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 2020! It is amazing how every year's decluttering is fruitful even if we did it only a year ago. Phew - it's a never ending job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy reading your blog, but I am a lurker, I guess, since I never comment. It's nothing against you; I don't comment on anyone's blog. I just enjoy reading about and living vicariously through others. In recent years, my life has shrunk to PT and doctor appointments, time spent with family, eating out occasionally, and that is about it. SO, I read about other's experiences and I am fairly content.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!