Sunday 26 January 2020

The rest of the week

Thanks for the comments on my last post.  Losing Jeff as quickly as we did was a huge shock but I realize that time will temper my feelings. C and I met for dinner on Friday; she and N were able to visit with him just hours before he passed away.  Hearing about their visit was somewhat comforting as he knew they were there.  His family was there too, he was not alone. 

The rest of the week has been rather slow. I did a bit of sorting in the store room downstairs and found a few more items that can be given away to family or donated.  One of the items is this coffee pot for larger gatherings.  It was my mom's* and I brought it home when we cleared out the house in 2007.  Dad had moved to the nursing home after mom's death, and we sold the house a year later.  I always thought I'd use it sometime, but it's been sitting gathering dust in the basement since then.  My brother may take it and add it to his collection. :)  

I also found three glass vases which I'll donate to Value Village or the Salvation Army thrift store.  I've started a pile in the living room of these items and plan to work my way through the rest of the house looking for other items to clear out.  

Since I was away last weekend, I was behind on several television programs I regularly watch. These were PVR'ed so I spent a good amount of time planted in front of the television with my knitting.  I'm close to finishing the baby blanket for my cousin's newest grandchild (due in April).  There is curling on again this weekend, both the women's provincials and the junior curling championships.  I've had one game streaming on the laptop while the other plays on the television since the times overlap.  This is a great time of year for me to get my projects done.

Our weather has improved quite nicely, with temperatures close to the freezing mark.  In the middle of January?  I'll take it!  I went out on Wednesday to the stitch and chat, there were only three of us there that day.  Two of the regulars are in Arizona, one had an MRI scheduled and a fourth was at bridge.  It was so noisy in the room, the fan set so high that it was difficult to hear one another.  We've asked if they can turn down the fan but apparently it has something with the work that's being done on the roof.  If it is that bad next week I'm going to ask if there is another room we could use that might be quieter. 

We had a power outage on Saturday for nearly 2 1/2 hours.  I was glad the outside temperature was decent as the house was just beginning to feel chilly when the power came back on.  The outage line indicated the crews had found ice build up on the transmission lines, which needed to be removed.  I'm not surprised as my evergreen in front was covered in frost on Friday. 


I did learn something this week too.  D called to say she'd left Eli in the living room while she watched television in her bedroom.  She came downstairs to find he'd gotten into her makeup bag and drawn on the wall with her mascara!  After a bit of research we learned that baby wipes will remove makeup from painted walls.  She happens to still have some wipes (as do I).  She also learned to put the make-up bag where the kid won't find it.  I learned that lesson years ago.  

Just heard the news that Kobe Bryant was killed this morning in a helicopter crash.  I'm not a basketball fan but do know who he is.  Sad news for his family, friends and former teammates.  

On that note, I'm off to watch more curling...about 7 hours of it.

*I recall mom had this coffee pot when I was teenager so it's probably 45 years old. Crazy!

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how something like a gigantic coffee pot can have so many memories :) My Stepson was pretty devastated this morning hearing about Kobe, he is a huge BBall fan. Over Christmas we even got TSN for 3 days only just so he could watch the Christmas Day basketball games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you got the wet snow we have gotten today. It sure makes everything look like a Christmas card.

    I just can not believe the lovely weather we have had over the past week. It is hard to believe it is January on the Canadian prairies.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tree looks ike a professional job done...by you. Beautiful. I will tell you about my youngest, who was here with my DIL and grandson this afternoon. Anyway, when he was three, my son, I took him with me to visit a fairly new friend. I saw the friend seemed distracted and even had mouth twitching of a beginning smile. I finally looked where the friends eyes were looking and it was my boy, in my pocketbook, and he had my little bit make up I bring with me in my purse, out and applying makeup all over his face. He had just finished with a liberal application of lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tree looks mighty frosty! It is warmer down here too...I will take it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's relatively warm here, with temperatures from +7 to +9 all this week. As for Eli - children and cats: they will get into whatever you don't want them to... The worst of the news about Bryant's death is that his 13 year old daughter was killed, too, along with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree looked gorgeous there!

    I'm glad your power came back on before things got too cold in the house. Brrr.

    We had sleet, rain and snow on Saturday; crazy weather for January in southeastern Ontario. The freezing rain missed us, though friends west of me got it. Seems every weekend we have miserable weather; that was our third weekend in a row. We'll see if we make it a fourth.

    I don't follow basketball, but everyone knows who Kobe Bryant is...was. A terrible tragedy, not only for his loss at only 41, but even more so for the loss of his daughter. I understand there was another teenager with her parents who also passed; a co-worker mentioned that this morning, but I've not checked any news sites yet to confirm. It's all a reminder to appreciate every day, the little things in life, because none of us knows how long we'll have to do so.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That us quite a load of frost and so pretty. That was such a shock about Kobe and his daughter. We just never know how long we have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!