Friday 24 January 2020

Life interrupted

This week has been tough.  

A former co-worker sent out an e-mail on January 15th that he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last week.  He was told it had spread to his liver and lymph nodes.  The family was told on Monday the cancer was so advanced there was nothing the medical team could do for him, and he was given a prognosis of just days or at most a couple of weeks.  Sadly, he passed away on Tuesday evening.    

Jeff had a larger than life personality, he was well-liked and respected among the entire staff, he was beyond brilliant, a creative soul, and he cared deeply about the people in his life.  He brought the best out in people, and shared his knowledge readily.  Several years ago he took a year off work, travelling first to France to immerse himself in the French language, and then to Africa where he worked with children teaching English.  


It all seems so unfair, and along with the sadness I'm feeling a lot of anger.  At 54, he was far too young, just beginning to start thinking about retirement and life beyond his work.  To be honest, I wonder why it couldn't have been someone else, someone less kind, less caring, less invested in making the world a better place.  Sadly I can think of several people like that.

Too, with all of the advances in health care I truly don't understand how a cure or treatment even in late stages hasn't been found.  Are the drug companies holding it back because they make more money from the drugs they now deliver?  Cynical of me to think that way, I know, but these days profit seems to come before everything else.

This is the second cancer related death in my circle of family and friends in less than six months.  I suspect this won't be the last.  I just hope the next one won't be happen for a very long time. 

Rest in peace Jeff.  You will be missed.





9 comments:

  1. So sorry for the loss of your friend. My goodness that was fast. Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair - but I keep reminding myself it is all part of God's plan.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry for Jeff's passing. Such a shock, I'm sure, to his family, friends and co-workers, to you. And 54 is far too young. My thoughts and "prayers" to all. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences - unfortunately the best are often taken early. That is why hubby and I try and ensure that we do things we want to now instead of waiting until later (that we can afford clearly). One of us could become sick or incapacitated or even a widow :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss of such a fine man. That he had friends who really cared means he lived his life well. How fortunate he had that year to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. am truly sorry that you are going through this shock and sadness, dear friend. Having had to go through it too, right here in my family, I know how you can feel when there is nothing to be done. Here's a giant warm hug and lots of loving thought to you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss. It does seems as if cancer has become more prevalent and more and more of us are losing friends and relatives to this monster.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sympathy. Cancer sucks. Just my opinion that there is more dollars to be made treating cancer than curing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is terrible. I think the worst, for me, would be the suddenness of it, with no time to prepare. I, for one, am astonished at the progress medicine has made. Sometimes, I think it hasn't gone anywhere, then my doctor will tell me about something - such as a less invasive and far more informative test for cancer - and I have to admit that progress has been made. I think the trouble is that in our self-destructive world, we make as many diseases, inadvertently, as we cure. On the other hand, it does seem that, these days, it's either cancer or Alzheimer's that gets us. From what you describe, the world has been considerably lessoned by Jeff's death. Godspeed, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!