Thursday 16 June 2022

Heading home hiccups

I'd like to say that the end of the trip went as well as the beginning but there were a few bumps along the way. We docked in Vancouver around 6:30 or 7 a.m. which would normally mean we'd start disembarkation around 8 or shortly thereafter. I had a flight booked for noon, the airport is about a 45 minute train ride away, and I needed to be there around 10 a.m. I had selected walk-off, which means I did not check my luggage the night before. I was actually out of my cabin by about 6:30 or so as I wanted to ensure I was near the front of the line. 

Ha! Normally, the walk-offs are well on their way before the next groups start lining up. Not this cruise. First off, although we were docked at a reasonable time, the clearing of the ship by Customs was delayed well past 8:30 a.m.  That meant no one was leaving the ship early. Second, and probably most frustrating for many passengers was a change that was announced mid-cruise. Until that point, the US travellers who were flying into the States on disembarkation day would have been able to get a Covid-19 test managed by Princess at the port. For some reason, this had changed and Princess was unable to provide this service. This meant that hundreds of passengers had booked tests (mostly) at the airport and everyone was in a rush to get their tests completed so they could fly that day. As a result it was chaos at the off-ramp. 

I did manage to get off the ship shortly after 9, cleared customs, and caught the train with minutes to spare. Otherwise I would have been waiting for another half-hour for the next one. The Vancouver airport is in the midst of summer construction - or at least that's what it looked like to me but I reached the line-up for the WestJet check-in fairly quickly. There I stood in-line until an employee came by and asked if I was just dropping off luggage. I had my baggage tags and boarding passes so I said yes. She checked me in, and then informed me that I had to put my luggage on the moving belt. (Be prepared to laugh - I did, eventually).

I grabbed my suitcase and went to swing it up and on the belt. Unfortunately, my right foot got caught and ended up under the bag on the belt. I didn't quite end up doing the splits but it was close. I managed to pull my foot out and get it off the belt, but my shoe went with my bag.  The employee simply laughed and informed me there was no way to get my shoe back. Uh, thanks. For some reason, I hadn't tucked my flip-flops or sandals in my carry-on...I won't ever forget those again. The next passenger in line offered me a pair of shoes from her luggage but I said I'd buy a pair of flip-flops once I got through security.  (This after asking the employee if I would be able to clear security with only one shoe.)

Of course, as I went through security, my bag was selected for secondary screening. She noticed I was missing a shoe, as did the next officer. Yeah, yeah, I'm fully aware. At least they were polite enough not to laugh - at least until I was out of earshot. 

It's a rare airport that doesn't have a Flip-flop shop. YVR is one of them. I ended up in a fancy-schmancy shop were I could buy a pair of embellished flip-flops for just over $40 CDN. I told my tale of woe and the clerk was kind enough to give me a 10% discount. I finally had a pair of something to wear on my feet and made my way to my gate. I always like to know where it is before I do anything else. 

After sitting for 20 minutes or so to unwind/calm down, I headed back towards security to grab a bite to eat and a treat, some licorice. Nothing like eating your feelings, right?  I was in line-up in the candy store when a young man bumped into me but I thought nothing of it. I grabbed a burger and a drink and went to the gate to eat my lunch and read. 

When the gate attendant announced that boarding would begin in about 20 minutes, I checked my bag for my boarding pass and passport. OH NO! My passport wasn't in the pocket. I immediately went to see the gate attendant and explained that my passport had gone missing - I knew I had it when I went the security and now I did not. He explained he couldn't help me with that, and when I provided my driver's license as proof of identity he said I should see him when boarding and it would be okay.  The issue I have is I use my second name most often. My driver's license and most of my identification reads second name first name, while my passport and health card are first name second name. My flights were booked with my passport and thus were different than the DL. I was relieved when he told not to worry.

Boarding call was made and I went to his desk, even though the line-up was being managed by his peer. She wasn't very happy when he told her he'd handle my check-in. Phew, I was on the plane and in my seat shortly after. Surely that would be the end of my comedy of errors. But no.

We were delayed taking off and arrived in Calgary just a half-hour before my flight to Regina - about the time the flight would be boarding. Of course, I'm in concourse B on landing and need to be at D for departure. Another woman and I made the mad dash across the terminal, only to learn that our flight was delayed for at least an hour. I went straight to the gate to talk to the attendant about my predicament. She was not nearly as accommodating as the fellow in Vancouver. She discounted my driver's license with photo and insisted she needed another piece of identification with first name, second name. I had a copy of my passport, but she wouldn't accept that, I had forgotten my health card at home, but did have a copy of my vaccination records which listed my health record details. She took that from me, as well as my DL and my boarding pass, sent me to sit and wait and got on the phone. It was anxious fifteen minutes or so. I was trying to decide how I would get home if she refused to accept the identification I had. There are no buses or trains between Calgary and Regina and it is a long walk. I finally went up to the desk and she told me that she'd talked to someone and their records indicated I'd booked tickets before under my regular name so she changed my boarding pass so it was correct. I thanked her and took my items, but I laughed when I checked the boarding pass - she had listed me as Mrs. Hmmm...not correct as I've never been Mrs. anything but I wasn't about to ask her to change it. 

The delay stretched out for nearly an hour longer, as we had to wait for a crew to transfer from another flight that came in. But finally we were on the plane and I was on my way home. Thankfully there were no more mishaps along the ways...there had been quite enough.

The following day, I contacted the airport lost and found and made a report about my passport. A week or so later, I had a call they had located the passport, and I was able to arrange for a courier to pick it up and deliver it to me. I'll never know if the young man who bumped into me took it from my bag, or if I simply dropped it somehow. In any event I'm thrilled not to have to replace it - even the cost of the courier was significantly less than the cost of a replacement.

Some final thoughts on the cruise itself. I now know why so many people cruise to Alaska numerous times. One couple I spoke with were on their eighth cruise, another couple nearly twenty times! The scenery is phenomenal and there is so much to see and do, as one chooses. I've been talking with L, my travel agent, already and mentioned I'd like to do the cruise in September (not this year - maybe in a year or two) when the fall colors are at their best. 

The ship was big and beautiful and had some wonderful spaces including the Hollywood Conservatory and pool and, of course, the Wakeview Bar. But I'll be honest, I prefer the smaller ships - most have an aft area with a bar and in some cases that are also has a small pool. The venues may not be as big, but it's often easier to meet other passengers.  Also I anticipate that as the supply chain disruptions ease, the dining options and food quality will improve. I can't say I ever went hungry, and I did find a new favorite specialty restaurant. 

The staff and the crew work just as diligently to ensure that guests have a great experience. Some things are out of their control, and while communication can always be improved, I always remember I'm so fortunate to be able to travel. It was so very wonderful to be back onboard a ship at sea, and travel to destinations that were merely words in a magazine or pictures on television before. Cheryl mentioned in a comment how wonderful it is to have the memories I'll keep from this trip. She's absolutely right.

I was glad to get home safely, and now I get to look forward to the next time. When will that be? I'll be sure to let you know. :)


29 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Forgive me, but I laughed and snorted a bit too much reading this. You poor thing. It had to be awful at the time, but funnier now.
    It sure all sounds like a vacation of a lifetime!!!!!!! Thanks for taking us along - if just for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a little time but I've laughed too.

      Delete
  2. Wow. That was quite the adventure to get home. I am glad you got your passport back. It is a nuisance and expensive to have to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an adventure and I've learned several lessons from it.

      Delete
  3. Wow. That sounds like something that would happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sort of glad I'm not the only one who runs into problems like this.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I am glad you made it home. Harvey kind of lost his passport on our last overnight stay in the UK. The hotel we were in finally located his jacket from the eating establishment in the hotel area and it was walked over to us just 10 minutes before we were being picked up to be taken to the airport. It was pretty scary for awhile so I can just imagine how you were feeling.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that was a major relief when the hotel staff found the jacket and returned it. If they hadn't accepted my other ID, I really considered having someone drive to Calgary to pick me up. That wouldn't have been possible for Harvey!

      P.S. Just found your comment in the spam. Blogger can be such a pain!

      Delete
  5. You had an amazing trip but a nightmare trying to get home. The luggage belt attacks you and steals your shoe, your passport is possibly stolen and just one problem to solve after another. Better the hassle then rather than on the trip. Rest up and enjoy the fun memories of a marvelous cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'll take hiccups on the way home rather than the day of departure. Getting there and the cruise and itself more than made up for it.

      Delete
  6. Oh my...she couldn't run and get your shoe? You had quite the adventure getting home, glad you got your Passport back...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think, but according to the employee that wasn't an option. I'm so grateful I go my passport back.

      Delete
  7. Oh, my gosh, I almost hate to admit I laughed at the shoe debacle! Comedy of errors, indeed. I'd have needed a double shot of something very strong to calm me down after all of that. At least you recovered your passport, if not your shoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure if I had put in a lost and found request for the shoe they would have found it too, but the cost of sending it home would have been more than they originally cost.
      Don't worry, I expected people would laugh.

      Delete
  8. It's interesting that they made you put the luggage on a moving belt. That looks like a huge liability issue to me - you could have been seriously hurt by that. At least you got your passport back, so it wasn't all bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about the liability...next time I'll remind them and perhaps someone will do it for me. :) All's well that ended well.

      Delete
  9. Interesting - and anxious - about the passport. It might have been a deliberate attempt to steal a passport, but, in that case, you likely would not have had it returned. It'd be an intriguing coincidence to have bumped into someone AND lost your passport. In any case, all turned out well. Did you get your shoe back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found it - I have no idea why Blogger thinks certain comments are spam...and yet the ones that really are spam it publishes.
      I think it was a matter of opportunity. I hadn't put the passport in its case, and only had it tucked with my boarding pass in a pocket of my purse. I don't believe it would have fallen out (the boarding pass and the case didn't) but it would easy to pick. I'll never know for sure.

      Delete
  10. Well, you certainly finished your trip with a bang!!! I loved reading all the posts about your amazing cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, glad you enjoyed the posts.

      Delete
  11. MY gosh! WHAT a lot of things that went bump in the night so to speak! That was awful. But you went through all that wonderfully well. I know that there is nothing more to do than to go through it. But attitude counts so much while doing so. It either crumples one up and makes them a wad of misery, or they push through and di what they have to do. You have my admiration, seriously. Now, I admit I would have been pretty mad about it all, though I wouldn't have said so, nor shone that to anyone. But inside I would have been until I got into a more smooth place in the stream of events; and knew I could get home. Having lost my passport over seas, I still remember the feeling of fright and hopelessness. I may blog about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some moments of near panic, even a few tears, but as you said, all you can do is go through it.

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness! You sure do have a story to tell as well as memories from the trip that will last a lifetime.
    I can't help but wonder where your shoe went? Wouldn't it be reclaimable from the luggage belt? It is funny but my heart was in my chest reading all about the passport, the rushing to get from one place to another (been there, done that). I'm just glad you made it and were not tarnished to avoid another trip. You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know well know, one never knows what issues might arise when one travels. You figure out things as you go along and have to hope for the best. Thanks Patsy!

      Delete
  13. Another comment lost, I think... Did you ever get your shoe back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go look for your comment - but no I never got the shoe back. I could have put in a claim but it would have cost almost as much as the pair cost in the first place.

      Delete
  14. I am never going to travel with you on a return trip. Seems we both have issues getting home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It so glad we have the memories from our travels!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!