Saturday 4 June 2022

Vacation interrupted

 Just the posts, not the real vacation...time to update you on the current state of affairs here at my house.

The contractor finished most of his work last week on Thursday. They were in a big rush at the end of the day and I wasn't entirely impressed with the final push. One of the items we'd talked about was creating a hatch in the bulkhead to allow access to the furnace. This required some drywall repair, but instead, the contractor used some pieces of wood to frame out the unrepaired drywall. Frankly it looked awful.

He also convinced me to replace the baseboards and casings, and in their haste to get it all completed they had damaged the drywall in the basement bathroom. That wouldn't have been a big deal, except I don't have any original paint remaining. (I do have a full and part can of the paint I used for the rest of house.) Hence this means the entire room needs to be repainted. Since I said I'd do the painting, that means more work for me.

I talked to his employee on Monday when he came by to check in on the stairs and informed him that I was having some buyer's remorse about the new baseboards and casings. When I said I would paint, I assumed that meant everything would be finished to the point where I could pick up a paintbrush. Instead I now have to caulk, sand, and paint these items as well. He suggested I could hire them to do the finish but I said no thanks - I've reached my limit for spending on this project. I laughed when he suggested I could finish everything in a couple of days. I reminded him I am retired and I don't work full days anymore. 

Jason called later and agreed to make the repair in the bathroom and to remove the frame so that the drywall could be repaired properly. I needed some items from Home Depot so picked up the hatch that afternoon. Another item was a caulking gun and the caulk to start the process to get the baseboards and casings ready to paint. 

So this week, I've spent a few hours each morning painting and caulking. It took four coats of paint to cover the repairs to the stairwell but I'm finally happy with the way it looks. I've peeled off the tape they used to keep the boards from slipping, and cleaned up the edges.  I expect his employee will be here next week to finish applying the silicone to seal the steps.

The drywaller finished sanding on the drywall repairs so I did the first coat of primer Friday morning. I'll get that portion of painting done this weekend so that the contractor can complete the final step next week. Then I can take as much time as I need to finish the rest of the caulking and painting.

I spend last Friday and Saturday at my daughter's, helping with Eli's "friends" birthday party.  The children had a blast, as did the parents.  I was the official photographer and managed to get some great photos of most of the kids. Unfortunately I didn't realize two more had shown up late and since they weren't wearing their costumes I didn't get a photo of one of them. (Eli is the one in the center of the children with his back to his mom.) She's explaining a game of freeze tag to them where the soft blocks were used to touch someone. It was hilarious watching these and the other children pictured running around in their capes and masks.

Here's the birthday boy himself, with his Spiderman mask and sans cape. Instead of birthday cake, D bought chocolate dip doughnuts (Eli's favorite). They were hit with the kids and the parents too. The doughnuts were made by the local bakery and were huge, D had over-estimated the number she needed so the remainder were dropped off at the hospital at the end of the afternoon. 

I drove back on Sunday morning, and after dropping my bag at the house I headed out to the garden centers. This is the latest that I can recall, that I've ever bought my plants. They needed a few days to harden off, so I did some yard clean up in the afternoons and planted all but the tomatoes and peppers on Thursday afternoon. We had a frost advisory that night, so I brought them into the sunroom for the night. 

Thursday morning, I took a break from the painting/caulking in the basement, and did some grocery shopping. I also booked an appointment for my second booster for Friday afternoon. As for the planting, I've got 15 containers of flowers this year, and 8 of vegetables including three with potatoes. This will be my first try with the spuds - if it works, it won't be much of a crop but I'm hopeful I'll have enough for a few meals. On the pretty side of things, I've gone with a yellow and white theme this year, sticking with tried and true plants - geraniums, impatience, million bells, marigolds, and petunias. I did buy a 6 pack of variegated coleus, that I hope I can overwinter. The two ivies I kept over winter were added to the deck containers. I'll try to keep these as well.

Today, I'm back in the basement for a few hours. I'll get a coat of paint on the bulkhead, as well as one of the walls, and if I'm ambitious I'll start priming the walls in the new room. (I should note, other than a slightly sore arm, I've had no reaction to the booster - I count myself fortunate!)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!






16 comments:

  1. I can not believe the contractor told you that you could do that in a couple days! You should never have had to caulk anything - they should have done that. I would not be happy at all with their attitude.
    The party looks like it would be fun and festive!
    Glad you got your flowers and veggies. I tried potatoes once and got a lot of little ones. It was fun just to try it once. I think I will continue to buy since it is just me.
    Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carter is young, probably in his mid-20's and his activity level and mine are miles apart.
      I always enjoy my time with Eli - he's such a character.

      Delete
  2. Construction projects can be a nightmare...hope they finish everything to your satisfaction. Too bad you have to do so much work yourself:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have the contractors out of the house and glad I was away for much of it. I signed up for the painting, because I really don't mind doing it but I didn't realize our definitions were different. I know better now and clarify next time.

      Delete
  3. Yikes, you might need another vacation when you get finished with all the construction headaches. Impressed with all the work you are doing yourself.
    The party looks like it was a nice break and fun. Glad your booster was uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the stairwell and bulkhead are ready for the last steps from the contractor, I'm not going to push myself to finish the rest. It will be a good way to stay cool in the basement when the summer heat reaches us.

      Delete
  4. LIke Cheryl I can not believe that you were told you could finish that in a few days.... Maybe if you had done finishing work and painting as your job before retirement, but if you are at all like me there is no way.

    What a lovely party.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find his remarks rather amusing...just wait until he's my age. :)

      Delete
  5. You are, in your getting things done, an inspiration to me. I was just as apt to do the same until the past several years as circumstances changed drastically. I still do a lot but not what I did. I LOVE reading your days...reminds me of me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do nearly as much as I would have done a few years ago either. I appreciate the benefits of being retired means I can take my time. Thankfully, I've been fortunate that I haven't had any physical issues (other than being overweight) that keep me from doing most things. Oh, being short means I have to ask my son for some things. :)

      Delete
  6. It's hard to understand why there seems to be such a lack of pride in workmanship these days. It sounds as though you have a higher standard that the "professionals." Well, I hope that the house gets done to your satisfaction one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were in a rush to get to another job and while I understand that, I always expect they will complete the work we agreed to. I did slow them down when I made the last minute decision to add baseboards and casings but one would think they would build a time contingency into the job.

      Delete
  7. The party sounds like fun. So nice to be able to be together with family again. The birthday boy is a sweetie, obviously.

    That’s a lot of work you acquired from the renovation. I hope you can get it finished soon to your satisfaction. The garden awaits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The party was great - I do so enjoy spending time with my grandson, he's a smart little guy and so loving. I quite enjoyed meeting his little friends too.
      Once the contractor has finished his work, I'm not going to worry about finishing the rest quickly. It will be a good project for when the heat outside drives me indoors.

      Delete
  8. I'm sure I put in a comment earlier; the way Google or Blogger are these days, it probably vanished into the ether. All I recall of it is that I remarked that doughnuts in my apartment wouldn't last long enough to need leftovers frozen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oy. So this time, it showed up twice...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!