Saturday 18 June 2022

Here comes the heat

Hooray, summer will officially be here in three days! We've had several days this week of cool and sometimes rainy weather. We even had hail one afternoon. I made a mad dash out to the deck to pull the containers of tomatoes and peppers under cover, though I probably didn't need to, as it was just pea-sized. The heat arrived on Friday and will last through the weekend. Now I realize this is relative but when the average temperature has been around 19C (66F) for much of the week and then it suddenly jumps to 28C (84F) and 35C (95F) - Friday and Saturday - it is a shock to the system. Most welcome, though I'm grateful for the a/c.

Since the weather wasn't great for puttering in the yard, I spent most of the week indoors. Monday, the plumber arrived just before lunch to replace the bolts in the downstairs toilet. Thankfully that was all that was needed. Because it wasn't a big job, he gave me a break on the labour cost. On his way out the door he jokingly asked when I thought I'd need his services again. I laughed and said, hopefully not until the work in the upstairs gets started. 

The rest of the week was fairly relaxing. I've started the process of de-cluttering once again. I needed to move several boxes of photo albums, photos and books that had been stored in the now-renovated room and temporarily stored in the furnace room into the storage room. Don't ask me why I didn't complete that task in the first place; I don't know why I didn't. Of course, this meant moving things around in the storage room to make room for the additional boxes. I had my son give me a hand with some electronics - an old computer and a stereo system. He removed the hard drive from computer and loaded it in the trunk of my car so I can take it to the recycling. The stereo, he tells me, is a gift I gave him for Christmas more than 20 years ago. He no longer wants it so it will end up in the donated items.

I realized I really need to do additional paring down of decorative items (especially Christmas), but I left those tubs alone for now. I did clear out a few items that didn't fit into the tubs that I no longer want. As well, some exercise equipment (fitness ball and weights) have been donated to a youth center here in the city; those were picked up by one of the staff mid-week. By the time I finished, all the boxes were on the shelves and one shelf is empty. 

One of the boxes that I pulled off the shelf to go through was a box of old ledgers from my dad. He farmed for close to 50 years and these contained the records for about twenty years or so. The oldest is dated 1945, the latest was about 1984. Obviously there were many years that were missing. I've recycled most of them, but have decided to keep one for myself and will distribute three others to my siblings. They can discard them if they wish.

Later in the week, I tackled my bedroom closet. When C moved upstairs all of the items that were stored in the spare bedroom closet were moved to my closet. This included extra pillows and bedding and a few other random items. The latter have been returned to their appropriate locations or put in a box for donation, along with the pillows. The bedding remains as I expect I'll need it at some point. Or perhaps I'm just not ready to let it go. Maybe in the next purge.  

On Thursday afternoon I wandered into my craft room. Oh boy! I'd forgotten that we'd moved other items in there from the spare room - Eli's toys and another big box of framed photos. I really need to go through these photos (and the ones in the boxes downstairs). Most have been packed up for a year or more so....I probably don't need to keep all of them. I did a bit of re-organizing but that's a room that will need more time and some ruthless culling. 

Some of my down-time was spent doing other things I enjoy. I had picked up a jigsaw puzzle last week on my trip to Value Village so I started that on the weekend. It was a real surprise that it went together so quickly and none of the pieces were missing. Isn't it pretty?

The other activity that kept me on the couch was watching sports. I've really gotten into baseball this year watching the Blue Jays. They split their series with Baltimore this week and lost the first game of the next series with the Yankees. I've got the television on now, and it is scoreless after the first inning. 

The NHL (hockey) playoffs also started this week, and it is week 2 of the CFL (football). I'm rooting for Tampa in the hockey, only because one of the players is a friend of my daughter, and I'd be happy if he is able to be on the winning team as I expect he'll likely retire if he does. Our Riders won their first game last week coming on strong in the fourth quarter. They're playing Edmonton this evening so you know I'll be yelling at the television. 

While watching television, I finished three more dishcloths for D, and pulled a UFO from earlier this year - a mitten that was barely started. I had done some crocheting during the cruise and finished the body of a small bag; it's been pulled too and I'll crochet the handles and finish it this weekend. 

Finally, I did get out for a couple of walks this week as well. Once with my camera so there is evidence. I'll end with a few of my favorite shots.

Two curious gophers - one my second walk (no camera) one ran on the path in front of me. I wish I'd had the camera as it was just a couple of feet ahead.

My favorite shot of the day; this is a female red-winged blackbird. I so rarely see them, as they seem to hide out in the reeds along the edge of the creek or pond. I wonder, was she taking a break from the kids?

There is nothing exciting about this photo. I took it only to demonstrate how thick the pollen is this year from the trees. All that yellow you see at the water's edge is pollen! I'm so glad not to suffer from allergies.

Edited - Marie has commented this isn't a cormorant but rather a red-necked Grebe. She is absolutely correct. I'm accustomed to seeing the cormorants on this pond so this one is new to me! Over at the pond, a pair of Grebes cormorants have actually built a nest at the standing pipe. This bird has a distinctly different coloring than the cormorants I've seen in the past. 

Finally, here is the male red-winged blackbird, happily singing his song as I walked by. They really are one of my favorite birds.

One more thought before I hit publish on this post. It's clear that comments are being marked as spam by Blogger. Now that I'm aware of this, I've been able to retrieve a couple on the latest post and going forward, I'll keep an eye for them. I'm not sure why it doesn't catch the real spam comments and once reported, not allow them to comment, yet it marks these. SMH!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 

23 comments:

  1. You are doing well with the purging. Great job.

    Love the gophers. I guess if they were digging up one’s lawn, it would be a different story.

    The blackbirds, male and female, are among my favourites too.

    That cormorant-like bird may be a Red-necked Grebe. It has more colour than the black cormorants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct about the Grebe Marie! Thanks for providing the info. We've had cormorants on the pond for several years and I just assumed it was a different variety.

      Delete
  2. I am glad to have these glimpses into your world and I so enjoyed your cruise vacation -- knowing that bumps are often part of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to purge again too. I LOVE the Red Winged Blackbrds oictures ad tat oe of the girl bird sitting in those leaves is a masterpiece! I hear them in my mind from all the years I enjoyed them in Florida along with meadow Larks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! It's those closets and hidden areas that tend to collect "stuff" that are the bane of my existence. I have good intentions to do something with it and then a year passes by.

      Delete
  4. Have fun purging! I need to do some also! I have a photo project in the works too...photos of my parents...two totes full. It will be a warm day project or maybe wait until Fall:) That is a very pretty puzzle:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I have a lot less photos and I feel a wee bit overwhelmed. Good luck with the project.

      Delete
  5. As soon as everyone leaves I am going to do some serious paring down. Son3 told me he did not want to go through what my sister and I had to with our parents house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were able to do a lot of clearing before Dad passed because he moved into the nursing home two years prior. Even so, my cousins who purchased the house from us, took several loads to the dump. My purging has more to do with my desire to be out of this big house and into something smaller. but I agree, I'd rather not leave it all to my kids someday.

      Delete
  6. Great decluttering! It's an never-ending process, I find. I'd had my hot water tank replaced last week and had to move everything at the front of the basement (bottom of the steps) and in the "hall" to the back, and my conclusion was that I have FAR too much stuff stored down there. Enough that people could shop my basement (it's mostly household cleaning/laundry/paper goods stuff).

    I love the pics, thanks for sharing those! Regarding pollen: I have to wipe down my mailbox and door every day; everything is covered in pollen, and I AM allergic.

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would so hate to have allergies this year, there is so much pollen and other seeds. Hopefully there are some decent rains for you that will wash it away.
      My kids used to say that I could outfit an army with the toilet paper and paper towels I keep on hand. But I was sorting recycling in the garage the other day and I notice I'm really low on that stuff. Yikes! To me that's not clutter, that's a necessity. :)

      Delete
  7. I believe that de-cluttering is a never ending job! Good luck.
    I love seeing those birds. I get excited every spring when they show in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always amazed at how quickly clutter can accumulate. I feel like I haven't done a lot of shopping in the past two years and even so...there it is.
      The variety of wildlife and especially birds that live in my neighbourhood is a real thrill. All those years I've lived here before I retired, I really wasn't even aware of them.

      Delete
  8. You do make me realize I need to purge also. Maybe tomorrow:)
    Those gophers are so cute. Wish I had some here. Our actual temps here plan to cross the 100 mark this week. Sigh. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll never be Kondo'd but I do appreciate getting rid of items that are no longer useful to me. I've joined a Free group on Facebook, between it and the thrift store I can get rid of a lot. I feel better knowing it isn't heading directly into the landfill.
    No, you don't want gophers...really. When I'm out on the bank of the creek, especially, I've come close to injury by tripping in one of their holes. My brother has a heck of time with them in the horse pasture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so far behind reading your posts it's like I have a book to read! But I intend to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of moving things around at your house. The stereo system from twenty years ago isn't even that old; I have a large number of LPs I am loathe to get rid of. I could probably sell them for something now, but, as I have an old, cheap record-player, I keep them. I even played them for someone not so many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is letting go. I have this thought that maybe I'll need something and then a year or two goes by and I still don't.
      If I had an old record player and LP's, I'd keep that for sure. The stereo is simply gathering dust in the basement. My son listens to all his music on his computer so it's probably time to let someone else use it.

      Delete
  12. I see one of my comments on a previous post must've gone into the spam folder. Stupid Blogger. I wonder if that's where some comments on my blog have been going... Thanks for the lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one did too! But I've learned to look for them. :)

      Delete
  13. Great job on the decluttering. Using up things is what I need to work even harder at.

    It was really hot in the city this weekend, but we enjoyed our visit with Kris. He sat in the middle of his yard and put together the firepit we bought for him on Saturday and then on Sunday we all worked at trying to clean the yard of weeds and small trees that were popping up. Worked up a good sweat for sure.

    I also did a short walk around his neighbourhood. Very interesting as there seemed to be an abundance of trees in front of homes. Kris said the city had planted them years ago. They are huge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!