Saturday 22 July 2023

A week that was

 Again, I must say thank you to everyone for your kind comments on my last post. Chris's friendship meant so much to me and your heartfelt comments were appreciated. I had my good cry on Thursday evening, though I suspect more tears will fall next Wednesday at her funeral, and for now, I am trying to focus on the good memories we made together.

With the exception of the shock of Chris' sudden death, it has been a pretty quiet week. I did a bit of grocery shopping on Tuesday as well as a trip to the thrift store. One of the items I purchased at Value Village was a summer dress; it is the one I'll wear to her funeral. I did make a trip back to the thrift stores on Thursday, mostly to wander the aisles and remember Chris. Since she wasn't there I did buy more yarn. Not that I've run out of yarn for mittens and toques but I'm down to certain colors and I was able to pick up a couple more. 

I'd have to count, but I think I've got ten pairs completed. With the ones I'd left with D in June, I think I'm about half way through this project. I'm using the bits and pieces of the leftovers to make toques, though I've only got one of those done so far. Hopefully I can provide ten or so of those as well.

Wednesday was stitch and chat, with S, B, and I in attendance. I hadn't gone last week because of the cold I was still dealing with, and I learned that Io had been there as well. I'm sorry I missed her. I told the ladies that I'd seem them next week, unless something crazy happened. Well, it did, but since Chris' funeral is Wednesday morning, I'll be able to attend next week's meeting.

While I was out on Thursday, I got my hair cut. And when I say cut, I mean I had it chopped off. I'd let my hair grow out through the pandemic, and kept it tied back in a pony tail as it was a good 5-6 inches below my shoulders. Recently the shedding was driving me crazy - I'd brush my hair in the morning and take a handful out of the brush. Even so, there were more errant pieces that seemed to find their way into my knitting or into the dishwater. It was time for it all to go. Initially, I had thought I might go for a short bob, but decided on a pixie cut. 

It was a good time to get rid of the long hair, as the extreme heat has arrived in earnest and is forecast to hang around for the week or so. It was 28C (82F) on Friday, with the temperature expected to increase daily until we reach a high of 35C (95F) by Tuesday. I'm sure the temps seem mild for some of you, but for us that's freaking hot! 

In advance of the heat, I've done some meal prep so I'm not going to need to do a whole lot of cooking. I expect the grill will be fired up a number of evenings. My son doesn't enjoy potato salad, but I found a recipe with bacon and red pepper that I'll try. He's told me he doesn't like eating cold potatoes so I may be enjoying by myself. 

The landscaper showed up about 5 p.m. on Friday evening to finish off the last few items on the to-do list. When they arrived, I asked if it wasn't quitting time and was told they'd work until midnight, if they had to. (They didn't, nor did they finish) The steps from the lower deck were built and installed, the edge finished along the front of the deck and the boards replaced on the shed. They plan to be back sometime today to finish the last couple of items, to install the edging between the grass and rocks, to repair the step into the shed (it was damaged when they replaced the boards on the shed), and to replace the latch on the gate. They're also going to give me a piece of lattice to cover the bottom of the shed. I'll share photos of the completed space in next week's post.

I had decided not to list the house for a few weeks because of the expected heat. I've no desire to sit in my car with an unhappy cat in the carrier during a heat wave. The forecast has now been revised, and things may be back to more reasonable temperatures by the end of July. If that continues to be the case, I'll be in touch with the real estate agent next week, and with any luck we can hold the open house on the weekend. I do want to have a cleaning crew through before the open house, so it will also depend on when I can get that booked. Decisions, decisions.

I was out early this morning to move some containers around the back yard. The front flower bed got a good soaking too, as there is no rain in the forecast. My ferns are still looking terrific but I suspect a few days of heat will cause them to start dying back. If I can keep them going for another couple of weeks, I'll be happy. 

The rest of my day will revolve around sports. There are three baseball games and two football games being aired and I'll definitely watch the Blue Jays as they play in Seattle, and the Riders game with the B.C. Lions. Another mitten is close to being completed, and then for a change I'll switch to knitting a toque. Beyond that this is very much a nothing day. I had made plans with Chris to go for coffee this morning; she'll definitely be on my mind as well.

Have a great week ahead everyone.

17 comments:

  1. What a week - again, I am so sorry for your loss.
    I bet that haircut feels amazing! I know I feel liberated each time I cut mine! I don't blame you on waiting to list the house.
    We have some super high temps coming in this week as well - not looking forward to it at all.
    Hope you have a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl.
      We had a storm blow through last night with another inch of rain so it cooled off nicely overnight. I've got windows open for now, and it feels lovely.

      Delete
  2. Chris is on your mind and in your heart forever. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I do find myself thinking of her several times a day, and it isn't feeling real just yet.

      Delete
  3. Who doesn't like potato salad? I especially like the kind with red potatoes (though I am not sure the colour influences the taste) and mustard. That and cold chicken (either roasted or fried) are the perfect summer-time foods. And it looks like we both are going to feel the summer. We have a heat-warning here in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Potato salad is a summer staple. I'll make it anyway and I'm sure he'll try a bit, but suspect I'll be eating most of it.
      Try to stay cool!

      Delete
  4. Yes, it's going to be very hot here as well for several days. Did you ever say where you are going to move to? I do remember at one time you said you would like to be on the island but I think that was prior to a little GS arriving and stealing your heart!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago, the plan was to move to the Island, but you're correct, with the arrival of my grandson, those plans changed. It doesn't help either that his dead-beat dad is living there now.
      The new plan, assuming all goes well, is to live part-time with each of my kids. My son will buy a condo here in the city, my daughter and I will purchase a larger place in her small town, and I'll move between the two of them. I do want to travel more too, as well.

      Delete
    2. As long as everyone has their own space it should work. Sounds great and you would be free to travel.

      Delete
  5. Chris will always be in your mind, and tears will come even when you least expect it. ❤️

    I hope the landscapers came back today, I'm looking forward to seeing the final pics.

    I will keep my fingers crossed for a quick house sale at the price you want (or more!), whenever you decide to list it. 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. It's amazing how many things remind me of her. Just today, a FB popped up and sent me reeling for a bit.
      The landscapers did show up yesterday, likely when I was napping (Saku had me up at 5 a.m.) and finished the edging between the gravel and grass, but there are still a couple of small items to finish. I really the work they've done, but darn they've been slow!
      There isn't a lot of inventory in my neighbourhood, or in the city itself for 1200 sq foot homes with double car garages. That is in my favor, but the darned interest are an issue.

      Delete
  6. I am pulling out my appliances to cook this week... Except for Harvey's birthday on Monday. He really wants a pumpkin pie and I am not too sure that would fit in the toaster oven. The baked spaghetti will though and if I do the pie early enough perhaps I will miss the heat.

    Do you plan on staying in the city? Or perhaps moving into the city/town your daughter and Eli live in?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy early birthday to Harvey!
      I'll do both, live part-time with each of the kids. And hopefully travel more too.

      Delete
  7. It will be a hard adjustment for you after the death of your friend. Be kind to yourself. Sounds like you are almost ready to list the house and that is good news:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I'm still having a hard time believing she's no longer here with us. I can imagine how much harder it is for her sons.
      I beginning to see the end in sight of the preparations for the eventual sale of the house. I'm looking forward to being homeless. :)

      Delete
  8. It's nice you can share your memories of Chris. I think that helps heal; but it's not an overnight thing. So give yourself time to remember and if you cry more, that's ok. There is no right or wrong way to grieve a loss.Yarn therapy is always good. I've not heard many people us the word toques. Sometimes when I have people give a stare, as they don't know the term. Good luck with the house stuff.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy. I agree about the yarn therapy. I've managed to finish one pair of mittens, the toque (crocheted instead of knitted) and have another pair of mittens on the needles. I kind of wondered about using the term toque - not sure everyone knows what it is, but I don't like the term beanie because that is something quite different in my mind. I guess knitted cap would work. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!