Thursday 13 July 2023

Memories - past and present (part 2)

Our second full day, started early as had the day prior. There was leftover bannock and bacon from the previous morning so that was what we ate. Eli was feeling much better after a decent night's sleep, so we headed to the playground to run off some energy before we hopped in the car. 

Our first planned stop was mural on Centre Street near the post office.

The artist recreated an old store front that existed well before I was born, and some of the individuals in the mural were locals he had asked permission to take photos of. One of those individuals is my dad; D and I wanted to have a photo of Eli walking with him. The artist captured Dad so well, that little half smile, and yes, he was that slim. I don't think he ever weighed more than 175 pounds and was six feet tall.

Our next stop was the Nipawin and Area Living Museum, a place where my Dad spent a lot of his time volunteering, after he and mom moved to town. We arrived just as the museum opened and were the only ones on the grounds for the hour or so we were there. I took a number of photos, but promise to share just a few favorites here. :)


There were many vehicles arranged around the back lot. I like this one in particular and we had Eli sit in the front seat. I don't know he'll ever ride a school bus, but I have many memories of doing so, though not on one as old as this one. (the sign indicates it would hold 25 passengers). 


This old log cabin was donated by the fellow who bought my parent's home quarter. The building was on the property when Dad purchased it around 1960, and was originally used as a chicken house or granary, but when we were young, it was our playhouse. Later it was used by Dad and the new owner for storage before it was moved to the museum site.

The museum has transformed it into a trapper's cabin. I remember the old cupboard on the back wall was in the cabin when we were kids, and the window to the left was our "take-out" window when we played drive-in restaurant. 

Next up was a visit to the Cherry Ridge School. None of use ever attended the school, as it was closed many years before, but the community held several events throughout the year. My favorites were the summer picnic, with games including the three-legged race, gunny sack races, and the adult's baseball games, and even better was the annual Christmas concert. After the concert, which consisted of whatever children could be coerced/convinced to sing or dance or recite a poem, and a skit written and put on by the Cherry Ridge ladies, Santa would arrive with a bag full of presents (marked girl or boy) and the ladies would hand out bags of candy too. 



Eli was fascinated by the typewriter at the back of the classroom. D and I wandered reading through a number of the exhibits. There were a few items that mentioned Mom and/or Dad as they were active in the community club and curling club.

A highlight of the museum for Eli was the train cars. Only one is currently accessible as the other has deteriorated since its installation.



I'm not certain where the cars came from but the train station was moved from, where else, Railway Avenue a number of years ago. After some convincing, we got Eli away from the train cars and through the station. There is an area where the station master might have lived, the public waiting room and ticket counter, and the telegraph office. In the latter, there is a display of various computers/computerized tills that various local businesses have donated. In the back of the station are other donated artifacts and a couple of buggies.

We made a brief stop at the church, a building my Dad fell from when painting it years ago. He was knocked unconscious from the fall and when he came to, he asked who the ambulance was for! He also told his fellow volunteers "don't tell Betty" as he knew mom would be upset to learn he'd been climbing ladders at his age (late 80's if I remember correctly). Of course she found out, and of course, she wasn't happy with him.

Finally we went through an old house - Eli was about done so we left him on the first floor looking at a display of typewriters, while D and I finished the tour.

Just outside the house was evidence of the storm damage. The volunteers had already been through and taken away the trunks and branches, but you can see how the tree roots were pulled up. There is a pile of cut wood by the one of the luckier trees.

We did a wander through the main building exhibits as well, and the worker took us to the back room where we saw a memorial to Dad on the wall. We learned that only one of the individuals who was part of his crew of volunteers is still alive and active. 

Our next stop was meant to be the local florist to pick up flowers for mom and dad's graves. However, it turned they were closed on Saturday! D was very disappointed, but we went ahead and drove out to visit their graves. We also found my Uncle Wilf's grave in the area for the World War vets. He served in WWII and was gassed in France, resulting in lifelong emphysema.

Back at the campground, we did some organizing for our trip home the next day, while Eli relaxed with his tablet. Later in the afternoon, he and I went to visit the barnyard zoo again, where he was able to feed the chickens and bunnies with some leftover lettuce. Dinner that evening was burgers and hotdogs, along with grilled corn on the cob for Eli, the remaining pasta salad for D, and raw veg and dip for me. Dessert was watermelon, and we tried s'mores over the campfire. Eli didn't like them, D didn't want any, so I ate one. Bedtime was even later than the two previous nights, and we were all ready for sleep.

The following morning we were awake early and enjoyed our last campfire before packing up the car, and turning our minds toward home. But we had to make one more trip to the playground and the barnyard before we left! A rousing game of tag, you're it, woke us all up. 



We stopped on our way out of town for fuel for the car, and breakfast for all of us. The drive went well, and we were at D and Eli's by lunchtime. Initially I had thought I would stay for a bit, before driving home, but I was not feeling well and made the decision to leave as soon as everything was out of the car.  Good thing, as I spent much of the late afternoon napping on the couch, before falling into bed by 7:30 p.m. I guess I needed the sleep.

This begs the question, would I go camping again? Well, I will say that sleeping on the ground, even on a thermarest wasn't the most comfortable. Worse still, was getting up in the night to use the facilities. (I'll leave it at that.) While I do enjoy being outdoors, and found being in among the evergreens and trees from my childhood was wonderful, I hate bugs. The mosquitos were thick, though lazy, and while I didn't get bitten often, poor Eli wasn't as lucky no matter how much bug spray his mother used. 

Despite the discomforts, I wouldn't have missed this trip for the world. It brought back so many happy memories, and some sad ones too, and gave me a chance to make more memories with my grandson and daughter. I do think, if there is a next time, I'll consider renting a nearby cabin instead with indoor plumbing, more comfortable beds, and a kitchen.

Thanks for joining me on this trip down memory lane.



10 comments:

  1. That's wonderful that you have so many lasting memories of your parents, your dad in particular. You're a brave woman, doing the rustic camping thing. The cabin with the bathroom sounds like a plan if you do this again. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's terrific that you expose Eli to all of this and that he learns of his heritage in such a vivid way. As you say there was a little discomfort to be endured but it was well worth it. So many of us live far away from where we were born and raised that these experiences are just not possible. Friends of our in southern Ontario have three adult children - one lives in Hawaii, one in northern Alberta and the third in France. It is a family in name only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for experiencing and sharing your trip down memory lane!! I enjoyed seeing all those old desks, several of which I remember from my childhood days. Even the old fridge. I am amazed at how many people were slim in those long ago days. A cabin does sound good to me for a second visit! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. First a question from someone not Canadian - what is bannock?
    What wonderful tributes to your family. I just adore that picture of the painting and Eli 'holding' grandpas hand!!!!!! The cabin, the stories all the wonderful things paying tribute to your dad. That is just so neat. I love that kitchen!
    What a neat trip and great walk down memory lane for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you got a picture of Eli with your father in such a creative way. I really found it fascinating that there is so much to honour your dad's efforts. ♥

    I also loved all the pics, you had an amazing "journey" into the past. I remember when I was very young we had a table like that (Formica?).

    I hope there will be a next time for you all...in a cabin with amenities. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the pictures! The picture of Eli walking with your father is so special! I used to love camping, but I am definitely getting too old for tent camping and the nightly trek to the bathroom. I hope that Eli will have fond memories of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice trip for you, I agree a cottage or a motel room might have been more comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to say that is an awesome mural and Eli holding your Dads hand...is a wow:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting that the old log cabin was originally a granary or chicken-house. It looks strong and made well enough for a person or persons; better made than many houses now. The school and the railway cars were fun to see, too, but I hope they restore that old caboose; it's a shame to have it as an exhibit when it's falling apart. And I did like to see Eli walking next the mural...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!