Saturday 15 July 2023

Getting a few things done

To start, I'd like to say thank you to everyone for your kind comments on my recent posts about the camping trip to my home town. Eli may be a bit young still, to remember much about this trip, but hopefully the photos will be reminders of the fun we had, and the family history we shared. 

Back at home, Monday was a write-off, as I still wasn't feeling up to par. Whatever this bug was that started in my sinuses and moved into my chest, it isn't about to let go easily. Every day I've been feeling some better, but it continues to linger and the nights are the worst. Thankfully, last night was much better.

The fridge was looking a bit bare, and the cat food cupboard equally so, and I had an errand to run for D, so Tuesday I had to go out. I made sure I masked up for the sake of others because I didn't want to pass this on if I could help it.  

I also had the water rental heater company out to do a service on the equipment. While I thought they'd done a change of the anode rod in January, a quick review of the copies of the work orders indicate they had not. According to my real estate agent, it's one of those things that home inspectors check and some buyers assume if one minor thing isn't done, then the maintenance of the property is lacking. Since my water heater is a rental, there was no cost to me, but interestingly enough I was informed this is the last rod they will change out unless, or until, the heater leaks. According to the technician, the company did a survey and discovered that it didn't matter whether the rod was changed regularly or not, the impact of our horrible water was the same. I can't quite wrap my head around it but no matter, hopefully it won't be an issue for me. 


Other things have been happening around here too. Here's what I came home to!

I had received a text from the Ch on Thursday to let me know that the sod was in and the patio blocks on the side of the sunroom had been installed. Of course, he wanted to be paid too. :)  I sent him a partial payment, and withheld a portion of the total cost as the work isn't yet complete. The edging between the grass and rock needs to be done, the boards are to be replaced on the shed, and the steps built. He mentioned that the latter would be done in a couple of weeks when the sod is well-established. 

My son kept it watered during my absence, and I took over on Sunday evening. I've been watering twice a day, as the day-time temperatures haven't been too high. Here's a photo I took last night. While I can still see the edges between the pieces of sod, it's looking pretty good.  

Saku has given it his stamp of approval. He enjoys the taste of green grass, though has a tendency to discard it if he eats to much. As long as I don't let him injest too much, it's all good. 

The gravel area under the tree is still a work in progress. I'd like to put a chair out there for reading, and will move the bird bath, the mower and small wheelbarrow, but for now it looks far better than it did.

I've been keeping busy indoors as well. I've decided there is a gremlin living in my house as little things keep breaking and need to be fixed. While I was away, the pump on Saku's water fountain quit working, my bedside lamp broke (that I can blame on the cat), and since then, the interior door handle to the garage has suddenly gone wonky. The first two were dealt with easily by ordering through Amazon. Saku is happy to have his water readily available again. I'd been putting water in the bathroom sink for him, because he has a bad habit of tipping bowls. The lamp I purchased was on sale, and is far better than my last one, as it has a plug-in for the cell phone charger. 

I had planned to call the lock company anyway, as I need to have the front door handle replaced. It has a lock on it, and recently we had an issue where my son was locked out temporarily while I was away (not this trip). Now, it appears that both handles may need to be replaced. I've sent photos to the company and they'll send out replacements with the technician. I'm hoping the one to the garage can simply be repaired. The appointment was originally booked for Friday afternoon, but due to the length of another job, it had to be moved to Monday.

The darned smoke from the forest fires returned Thursday, and got worse on Friday. I've had to keep the windows closed, as it seemed to be irritating my cough. I did spend some time outside while I watered the sod, and the rest of the containers. My tomatoes are doing so well - I foresee a bumper crop. I have one small green pepper and two wee (less than gherkin size) cucumbers on the vine. But it's my marigolds I that I grew from seed that are impressive.
Both are a good three feet tall, and the blooms on the plants are entirely different from the other. It seems to me, one set were grown from seeds I collected from last year's plants, the other from seeds I purchased. 




And then there is this petunia that seems to be losing/changing it's colors. The plant has mostly flowers that are white with purple stripes, but these blooms (and a few others) have changed to purple with white stripe or mostly purple. 


It's a cool day today, with a high expected of only 22C (72F). I'm planning to spend the day watching sports, baseball and football, knitting, and working on Ancestry. Sounds boring to mosts I'm sure, but I enjoy my quiet weekends.

Have a great week ahead everyone!





24 comments:

  1. The lawn looks very nice, as do the flowers. As for the smoke, your part of the country and mine seem to have simultaneous smoke incidents. Our smoke has returned, too, though it doesn't seem as strong as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John,
      The smoke appears to have blown away, at least temporarily today, but I suspect it is going to be with all of us for several months yet.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of renting a water heater before. Interesting.
    The yard is looking very nice and neat. The tomatoes are great!
    I sure hope you get over the 'bug' and feel 100%. They say the smoke is to be back in our area tomorrow. Dang it.
    Have a relaxing and enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My water heater is also a rental with our utilities company. I'm on my third one in 23 years. 🙂

      Delete
    2. Our water in Regina is horrible and tends to eat through the anode rods. Normally, as Kea has said, they need to be replaced every few years. However, mine was installed in 2006 and continues to hang in there. Had I known, I ought to have bought it out in 2010 when I bought this house and I'd have been ahead by now. :)

      Delete
  3. The back yard looks terrific! It's been worth the wait, I think.

    You definitely have a slew of tomatoes! Yum!

    I'm not sure if there's any end to things breaking. Amazon definitely is handy, especially if have Prime. I'm glad you found what you wanted. A lamp with a built in charger would be a bonus!

    Take care, I hope you feel 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim,
      I don't have Prime, but it's rare I have an order less than $35 so end up with free shipping anyway. :p

      Delete
  4. Oh, I wanted to ask if you still intend to head to the Island when you sell. Don't feel obliged to answer, I was just curious. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goal right now is to be officially homeless. But I won't be moving to the Island, as Eli's dead-beat father is back there (he grew up on the north part of the island). I suspect he would find a way to cause problems if I lived there and we sure don't need that.

      Delete
  5. You’ve had a busy week. I’m glad you had no major issues at home while you were away. We find leaving the house is a worry, especially in winter. Glad it’s a bit cooler there. Too humid here with “feels like” in the high thirties. We are staying close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate that my son still lives at home with me, so it isn't vacant while I'm away.
      The heat is on its way here by this upcoming weekend. I wish I could enjoy the cooler weather but the smoke is just too much for me.

      Delete
  6. The yard looks great - It sure takes a lot of work to sell a house -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of work and even after all of it, there is no guarantee the house will sell. :(

      Delete
  7. After your busy camping trip you are still busy!! Your yard is looking so nice, you won't want to leave it!!lol Your trip sounds like it was wonderrful time for making new and revisiting old memories. I'm with you though, I think I'd be renting a cabin next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. Oh, I'm very much ready to leave this house and yard. It's becoming too big and too much work for me.

      Delete
  8. Your landscaping looks great! Hope that the grass takes! You can put a mixture of potting soil and perennial grass seed down along the cracks and that will help seal those edges:) Petunias do what ever they want...it is reverting back to what it started from:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie!
      That petunia plant is doing well, even as it reverts, but the rest are getting awfully leggy. Almost time for a haircut.

      Delete
  9. Your backyard looks lovely.

    I will need to look at your camping post. While Eli is young he at least has pictures to enjoy.

    We have lousy water here as well. Hot water heaters usually only last 7 years here, even with an anode change.

    Must remind Kris that he should set up an appointment for his rented water heater to be serviced.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie.
      His mom intends to take him back in a couple of years so as he grows up the memories will continue to be made.

      Delete
  10. Your backyard looks exceptional. Lots of hard work I am sure, but the results show that it was all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks David, it's a very small yard but I hope I've done enough to encourage buyers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your yard is beautiful, i do hope that you will get an opportunity to sit under that tree with a good book this summer.
    Your quiet weekend does not sound boring. I have many of them myself and highly value them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!