Saturday 1 July 2023

Expect the unexpected

 On Monday, I tried to phone the landscaper and when he didn't answer, I left a message asking him to call. I explained I needed a more definitive date for a start of the job, and I asked him to call me back that day. Then I waited. Color me surprised when at about 1 p.m. a truck and trailer arrived. The landscaper and his helper, a young woman, hopped out of the truck. I met them as they started through the front yard and the three of us walked to the back yard. I confirmed the work that was to be completed and left them to it. 

Of course, I couldn't help but peek out the back door to see what they were doing, and I discovered her working away, using the drill to remove the deck boards from the portion of the deck that was to be removed, while he kept watch. The next time I looked out, they were gone and I spotted them, out the front window, sitting on the trailer having a drink of water. After their ten minute break, they moved some tools around to the back, and took a number of branches from the large tree that is being removed down. After dumping those into the trailer, they left. All told, they were here about an hour. I sent a text to my brother, "At this rate, they'll be done in a month." His response, "Which month, October?"

The photos I posted on Wednesday were taken Monday evening. I'm not surprised that some commentors didn't realize any work had been completed.

Tuesday, the young woman (Cass) showed up on her own about 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning. I knew she would be late as she'd told me the day prior, she has a child she drives to school in the morning, but I had hoped she would arrive earlier. Over the course of the day, she had questions and we had a chance to chat. It turns out she and Ch (the landscaper) are a couple. They had been together for some time, the relationship broke down, and they just recently got back together. Part of what precipated her return was Ch's health issues. Apparently, he had a heart attack a couple of months ago and isn't able to do much of the work any longer. Hence, she's pretty much on her own. I will tell you, she can out work and out-muscle many of the men I know. Although she left early (to pick up child after school), she had added bracing to the existing lower deck, had removed the joists for the deck being removed, added the board that will be used as a connection for the steps she'll build (after returning and replacing the piece Ch had erroneously measured), and hauled all of the debris out to the front. Later that evening, she and Ch arrived with the trailer to remove those items.

Wednesday, they both arrived, again late but for a good reason. They work with a bobcat operator on some jobs and the bobcat had lost all of its transmission oil all over the street. That spill had to be properly cleaned up, and that took a bit of time. Cass spent her time digging out the posts from the site where the deck had been removed, digging out roots, and moving rock around, while Ch took down the remainder of the tree. By late afternoon, he'd used a rototiller to dig up the old sod. He explained that his regular equipment just wouldn't fit through the space between the house and the fence, so everything else would have to be done by hand. I also learned, (who knew) that the old sod will be used a a filler under the new sod. I'm not sure I'm thrilled with this because there are weeds that I'm certain will make their presence known sooner rather than later. 

By Thursday morning, I'd figured there would likely be another delay so I ran some errands, and did a bit of yardwork. Sure enough, Cass showed up around 10:30 or 11:00. I'm not entirely sure the reason, but she said Ch was dealing with the bobcat issue again that morning and would be by later. She tackled the portion of a chain link fence that had been left behind by the previous owner - I assume it had once been part of a dog run. It was cemented in, so she had to dig and then use a sledge hammer to break up the concrete before she could remove the poles. In addition, she tackled more tree roots and the wood borders that had kept the rock and grass from encroaching on each other's area. She had moved all the debris by the time Ch arrived (about 2:30 or 3), and together they loaded those items into the trailer.

Ch took this load, and left to pick up some more rock. Meantime Cass continued to work, installing a short piece of railing on the deck and raking the old sod. Ch wasn't long, and then they brought the new rock into the back yard. I was busy in the house, prepping dinner so I didn't get outside until 5 p.m. when they were preparing to leave for the day. Ch told me that they'd be back Friday with the new dirt that will build up the yard, the sod will be ordered on Monday and delivered next Thursday. Hopefully we don't have a lot of rain between tomorrow and next week as I suspect it will be a mud pit back there.

In any event, this is how things looked on Thursday evening.

The mower and wheelbarrow are temporarily housed here, and I have other ideas for this corner. The telephone companies box is beside the tree, which I kept in order to hide the box.  I foresee a chair and small table where one could read in the shade. Or maybe I'll just put the bird bath there with a couple of containers. The tree that held the bird feeder is gone, and since I hope not to be here this winter, that's okay.

The railing piece that was added is behind the towering tomatoes (and marigolds) on the right had side. This spring there was a fair amount of heaving due to the amount of water draining through the yard, and several boards came loose as that portion of the deck was pushed up by several inches. Cass will replace those and build the steps, one for either side of the deck next week. 

John asked about the little shed on Wednesday. I have to assume that it was used by the previous owners as a play house for their children/daycare children. When we moved in there was a rug inside and there a few toys left out in the yard. This was many years before Eli and all of that was tossed. When I removed the large shed, that I used for storage of garden tools and supplies, I moved everything into this small shed. I should mention, I have to duck to get in the door (I'm 5'2") though the height inside is decent and there is even a small loft.

There is a bird house on the front of it that my brother built and installed. This year there is a family of wrens living in it and we can hear the babies chirping. The adults have been coming and going feeding them, except when the power tools are being used. Perhaps it is a good thing that the larger equipment couldn't be brought into the yard.

Although somewhat disappointed, I wasn't entirely surprised when they didn't show at all on Friday. Since Monday is a statutory holiday for most people, I'm not really expected to see them until Tuesday. (Canada Day, July 1 falls on Saturday). It's probably just as well as we had storm blow through on Friday evening, bringing about a 1/4 inch of rain. Enough to make the backyard a sodden mess, and of course, after I'd watered the front flower bed earlier in the day.

Today is Canada Day, the 156th birthday of this country that my great-great grandparents emigrated to prior to confederation. It seems fitting to spend part of the day on Ancestry, searching for more information on family members. I won't be attending any of the local activities, I will watch some of the news programs for the performances in Ottawa. Of course there are baseball and football games to watch too. The forecast suggests more thunderstorms are likely today, with a high temperature of 32C (90F) and humidity creating the perfect conditions. Mother Nature's fireworks!

Happy Canada Day to my Canadian readers. Do enjoy your day, however you decide to spend it. Have a great week ahead everyone.

 


15 comments:

  1. What a rigamarole! Well, at least someone can do the work (Cass), so kudos to her for carrying the load, literally. I hope it all gets finished this coming week, it seems (to me) like it's taking forever. (Isn't that the way with any contractor hired to do work in and/or around one's house?) It looks great, though, and you must be pleased to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    Happy Canada Day, enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the completion of this latest project. I've heard that every project takes half again as long as anticipated and 25% more in costs. So far the first has been true, but I've been mostly able to keep the cost increase to around 10%.

      Delete
  2. That young woman sounds like a great worker! She is keeping that business going by the sound of it. Good for her.

    Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is amazing. I just hope he realizes what he has with her.

      Delete
  3. Glad things are at least moving. We have to finish plans with a landscaper and meet with a contractor to have our master bath redone. I have no need for a wading pool size bathtub/toilet paper storage tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw your comment about the toilet paper storage tub, I was confused, but then I read your latest blog. Good luck with the renovation - but where will you store the toilet paper?

      Delete
  4. Happy Canada Day! It does seem as if it will be forever before the landscapers finish with the work. Maybe in time for next Canada Day...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It better be sooner than that John! I want to get this house listed sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  5. Things are progressing! Nice. It sounds like Ch is very fortunate to have this lady with him!!!!!! She sure sounds like a worker.
    Enjoy your holiday time. Happy Canada Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly is fortunate, and I hope to see the final push this week.

      Delete
  6. Happy Canada Day! Well they are making a bit of progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed, it is finished this week.

      Delete
  7. Happy Canada Day to you too!
    Cass does sound like a worker but too bad they weren't able to be earlier and get a couple more hours in each day. Big picture, you'll need to focus on that. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they ought to have been finished in just a few days if they had put in full days. I am looking forward to its completion.

      Delete
  8. Happy belated Canada Day to you too. I have been having computer problems and was off line for two days. I still prefer the old term, Dominion Day, but by any name we live in a great country worthy of celebration. I have to say, however, I wonder now when I see the flag whether it is simply a joyful symbol or did the so-called Freedom Convoy succeed in hijacking it for their own political ends?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!