Wednesday 5 July 2023

Wordy Wednesday

In a couple of hours, I'm off to my daughter's place for one night before we head to my home town for three days of camping. She has most of the camping gear, including the tent, camp stove, pots/pans, dishes (but only for two), and the infamous toilet bucket. The latter is something I hadn't even thought of, but on their last camping trip, a year ago, Eli showed a real aversion to using the outhouse. So D did some on-line searching and came up with the bucket idea. I haven't seen it yet, but I think it is an old cat litter tub. I picked a pool noodle that we'll cut to fit the edges to make the landing a little softer. She's providing garbage bags and toilet paper,  while I've got wet wipes. I suspect/hope we won't need to use it except at night as our campsite is just a few sites down from the public washroom. 

We both have the other necessities: sleeping bags, pillows, lawn chairs, and of course, I've borrowed the three Thermarest mats from my brother. Between D and I, we've come up with a menu plan and have split the groceries. I suspect she'll do most of the cooking, as she quite enjoys cooking over the fire. We'll pick up some wood for the fire at the park gate, as temperatures are expected to be moderate, so no fire ban likely. That's okay, I'll keep Eli entertained, and I'll almost certainly be the one to do the dishes. D is providing the dish tubs, along with the dish detergent, a scrubbie and dish cloths and drying towels. 

We've got lots planned including a trip to the cemeteries to visit my parent's, grandparent's, and great-grandparent's graves. We'll also visit the museum where my Dad spent a lot of time as a volunteer and the mural down-town that includes him striding along. Of course, we'll spend time at the park, that includes a barnyard petting zoo, a playground, mini-golf, and a swinging bridge. Years ago, there was a splash pool there, but I'm not sure it still exists. If not, we'll likely go into town to the pool one afternoon. I've also discovered there is a walking trail that I'd like check out. It's about 4.7 km. (2.9 miles). If we have time, we'll drive out the farm where I grew up, though it the old farm house burned down several years ago. 


I'm off to finish a few household chores before I fill the cooler and the grocery bag with the food I'm taking with me. I've got my camera, my knitting bag, my clothing and personal items, and a bag full of bits and pieces that I'm taking to D. The wrapping paper - I'll explain that later.

As I'll be away until Sunday or possibly Monday, there won't be a post until I return. I'm sure there will be lots of photos and fun moments to share with you when I return.

Take care everyone!

9 comments:

  1. We’ve been camping with the grands too though my husband didn’t stay overnight. I quite enjoyed it. Hope you have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fabulous trip! I'm looking forward to the pics. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been ages since I went camping. Have a wonderful time. It will be fun, especially with Eli. Take lots of pictures!!!! Hope you are all safe and have a blast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a most wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our old vacant farmhouse burned down two. Sad. You're camping the rustic way . Huge trailers and fifth wheels aren't really camping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy yourselves. The part that sounded the best was the food cooked over a fire. Ahhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your time away. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have gone backward preparatory to your trip. Great idea about the bucket!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!