Monday 23 January 2017

Baby Shower

My daughter's co-workers threw a baby shower for her on Sunday. They had thought to keep it a surprise but realized someone who suffers from anxiety as D does, it was probably not a good idea.  I know she enjoyed herself, as did I.

We met a F's house at 1 p.m. and didn't leave until nearly 4. There were about ten women in attendance, including D and me.  F and C were hosting the event, and with the very creative and capable assistance of J, it was truly special.  I wish now I'd taken photos of all of the decorations!  There were streamers on the ceiling, balloons on the floor, and a chair had been specially decorated for the mom-to-be. 

The afternoon started off with a pot-luck lunch of buns, cheese, sausage, veg and dip, pita chips, hummus, and a plate of sweets.  I'm sure I missed something on the menu but I certainly can say it was all very tasty.  On offer to drink were coffee and iced tea.

Everyone was given five clothespins to attach to a piece of their clothing.  We were told we couldn't say "baby" or someone could take a pin for us.  I was the first one to lose a pin...though I held onto the other four. We wrote messages on the back of diapers ...for D to read at a later date.   There were word games, we all made babies out of playdoh (I am not the least bit creative!) and there were small prizes for all.  

Then out came the cake!  I mentioned J earlier in the post.  She created the invitation for the shower and a very talented friend of hers created a 3D version for us to enjoy.  

The base of the boat is made of paper, there is a ribbon around the base, and the rest of the decorations were made of fondant.




Isn't it amazing?  The detail is phenomenal.  Before cutting the cake, J removed the pieces on top and D is planning to allow the fondant to dry to keep as a memento of the day.

The cake itself was white cake with a blue icing between the four layers.

I can't imagine how much time it took to create the cake.....but I can certainly appreciate the artistry.






One last photo of the cake, with my daughter D and her baby bump.  Baby Eli has definitely been making his presence known lately.  As of today, his due date is a mere month away.

After we'd all had our fill of cake* (which wasn't much), it was time for the presents.  The generosity of D's co-worker's was simply incredible. From hand-made gifts to gift certificates, storage boxes, a basket full of items gathered from those who could not attend, and even a bag full of gently used clothing, D received the most thoughtful gifts.






When we arrived home, D helped me arrange the gifts on and in front of the crib.  This picture doesn't do credit!  There are two hand-made blankets, one in the softest baby yarn, and the one in the middle in the colors of the Montreal Canadiens (my daughter's favorite team).  To the right of that is a crocheted shark sleeping bag!  I can foresee a photo shoot using it as a prop.

On the floor to the left is a small blue garbage bin, a basket full of t-shirts, pants, socks, and other sundries, a bat h toy, storage boxes, a toque and mitts and a little red rain jacket (on top of the storage boxes), a travel diaper pad, along with two bags.  The one in the rear is full of toddler size hand-me-downs. Not pictured are the many gift certificates, including one to a baby store, two for City programs (swimming lessons) and one for a massage for D. 
  
The afternoon was wonderful, there was lots of laughter and a few tears over the sweet gifts, and the love these women showed to my daughter was beautiful to see.  I met her "work mom" R and we laughed several times as we discovered we often said the same things to D.  She's a lucky girl to have the support of her co-workers and friends.  

We're one more day closer to meeting our little guy.  Although I still worry how she will manage, I'm looking forward to the first time I get to see his sweet face and hold him in my arms.  Won't be long now!

*The rest of the cake will go to the office with D tomorrow so the rest of her co-workers can enjoy it as well.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely shower, such generous co-workers! That cake is amazing, I just don't have words. I'd have hated to cut into it, actually. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it reads as if it was a wonderful time. Ten guests is a good number, and yes, they certainly were generous. That cake is a work of art. I wouldn't have wanted to touch it. Once someone else had, however, I would have eaten most of it. (Left-overs? Hahahaha!) It's good that your daughter has such support, from family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with John here! He speaks for me too though he certainly would not know that~ Love the shower and can't wit to hear all about the new grandson. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!