Tuesday 3 January 2017

Prep work

With the impending birth of my grandson just a few weeks away, my daughter is beginning to move into the "nesting" period of pregnancy.  Just after Christmas she purchased the crib, on sale, from Walmart.  It was priced $10 less than the same version on Amazon with no shipping costs.  

Initially is was over at her b/f J's house, but last week she had his roommate deliver it to my house.  My son C was feeling the need to be productive (his words) so he put it together one evening when she was over at J's.  After it was put together, I pulled the bedding from the cupboard and dressed the bed.

As you can see, D has chosen a fish theme, more specifically Finding Dory. (That's Dory in the left corner).  The little doll in the right corner is from D's childhood.  We called the doll Benji, although I did some research and found it is actually a Fisher Price doll named Holly.  We always thought it was a little boy....so Benji he will remain.

However, if you are observant you'll note that I've put the bumper pads into the bed upside down.  Yep, those fishes are apparently floating to the surface.  My daughter spotted it right away....I told her she can fix it.  

She was thrilled to see it complete, but J was not.  He has been a snit for much of the past week because he wanted to put it together.  I'm not sure when he would get around to it, as he's been promising to put the winter tires on her car since early November....I'm not entirely certain it ever would have been built.

Speaking of taking forever to put something together, I am finally in the process of completing an afghan I crocheted at least 4-5 years ago.   I recently had to clear out what was my craft room and will now be the baby's room.  I found the project in one of the many containers of yarn.  With the junior hockey on television today, I decided today I'd get some work done on it.  I knew I had all the squares crocheted, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the strips had been put together....so it was a matter of crocheting the strips together. 

It now looks like this.   

As you can see there are lots of threads to be sewn in.  Once those are tidied up, I'll crochet and edge around the entire blanket. 

When I started it, the afghan was meant to be used in the spare room. Of course that room is no longer the spare room since my daughter has claimed it for her own.  

Oh well, I still think it is pretty and I can use it on the couch as a cover up.  

Also, in my clean-up of the closet, I pulled out a basket I use for travel items.  I was very surprised when I went through the basket to find a whole lot of cords.

I have no idea what they are for - obviously they can't be too important as I haven't missed them.  I tidied a bit, tossed the in an old shoe box and will either sell at a garage sale or donate the lot, with the exception of the white extension cord which I'll put somewhere where it is easier to find.

It's been a good long weekend, with time to relax as well as get a few things done.  I'll be back at work on Tuesday...thankfully it's a short week as I'm taking Friday off. 

Have a great week!


2 comments:

  1. The crib looks so sweet, it's lovely. And I never would have noticed the "dead" fish if you hadn't mention them. LOL.

    Your afghan looks really pretty too! I was always lousy at sewing in all the stray ends of anything I ever made. It's been years since I've made even a simple scarf!

    As for all the cables, if you just want to get rid of them, I think Best Buy (and other similar stores) take electronic equipment for disposal. I know I've taken stuff to our Best Buy -- they have big bins in their entry way, between the double set of doors, for those items.

    Good luck this week...really, *good* luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chuckled at the afghan started "4-5 years ago". Well, I think we all have those projects somewhere - mine were probably left at the old house when I sold it. As for unidentified cords, I have some from the 1980s, the early days of electronics. I suspect they will still work today, but I forget them when I need them and end up buying new ones. The usual story...

    I am a bit behind in reading your blog because there is no direct link to it, as to your old one from Kitty Korner. Not to worry, though, I will be keeping apprised, especially of the baby. I think your daughter is very fortunate to have a child on the way. She may not appreciate it entirely when she's up to her elbows in poopy diapers, but a baby is a blessing.

    I hope your week is progressing well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!