Sunday 8 January 2017

Weekend wrap-up

We're having a sunny day here in Southern Saskatchewan, but with frigid temperatures.  This morning, I woke to -23C (-9F) with windchills making it feel at least 5 degrees colder.  Brrr!  I know it's January, I know this is normal weather for at least a few weeks every winter, and I know I complain about it every year.  There is a little cartoon that asks, "why do I live where the air hurts my face?"  The only answer I can come up with, is I blame my grandparents for settling where summer is a weekend in July, and the only good thing about the cold is no mosquitos.

However, it does make for a good day to relax and watch the curling on television.  The event is taking place in North Battleford, a city some 3 1/2 hours north of me.  It's just as cold there; my cousin who is attending the event has posted on FB that the arena is cold as well.  While I think it would be great fun to be there I'm grateful I'm watching it from the comfort of my couch.

I'm writing this post between ends, and sewing the loose ends into my almost completed afghan as I keep an eye on the television.  I'm about half done the sewing and the game is half-over so that part of the finishing should be complete.  The women's final is later today so I plan to complete the edging while that game airs.

On Friday I took a day of vacation as I'd booked appointments, thinking it was an earned day off.  Good thing, as it turned out to be a very busy day!  I dropped my son off at work, went home and did some chores before heading out to get some groceries.  I put those away and then was off to the salon to have my nails done.  From there I met my friend K for lunch where we spent nearly two hours catching up.  I dropped her off at home and headed for the drop-in oil change store where they complete the oil change and replaced a burnt out headlight in less than 20 minutes.  Then it was off to the Fabricland store nearby.  It will be closed on January 21st so pretty much everything is discounted.  (Not the yarn for some reason).  I picked up three more patterns, some buttons and material.  The one piece of material is perfect for t-shirts, the second I plan to make into bibs for the little one.  

So it is becoming apparent that sewing will be a priority in 2017.  At the moment my sewing machine and table are in the baby's room.  That's the next project for today.  I need to move my armoire in my bedroom to make room for the sewing table and chair.  I'd prefer not to have it in my bedroom but there is simply no other space for it in the house.  When we moved in here in 2010 I never thought I'd say that.  But having my daughter return with her furniture and household stuff (most of which was in a storage unit in 2010), and adding a baby to the mix is a bit of a challenge.  OMG, I had forgotten how much stuff a baby needs!

My daughter and I made a trip to Michaels on Saturday where she was able to get a scrapbook for the baby at half-price.  From there we went to ToysRUs where we found a baby bathtub, some toys, and diaper wipes at 20-30% off at their Babyfest event.  I couldn't resist this little octopus (Sock-to-pus) with the added bonus of 4 pairs of little socks.  He/she fits in with the fish/sea world theme, is practical, and is too cute!


Later on, in the afternoon, my son and I headed over to the mall where we did some errands before heading to Mark's Workwearhouse.  He used his Christmas gift cards (from me and my brother's family) to purchase two new pair of jeans and a new hoodie jacket.  He refuses to wear winter jackets...I have no idea what his aversion to these are....so this is a heavy knitted jacket with a fleece lining.  With a t-shirt and long sleeved shirt underneath it is warm enough for most days.  He also purchased a new pair of steel-toed shoes, the cost of which, will be reimbursed by the workplace as these are required.

Today, the cats let me sleep until nearly 8 a.m.  That's nearly a record around here.  I've got some housework to get done (between curling games) including vacuuming my bedroom and scrubbing the kitchen floor.  Dinner is in the fridge - I put together a beef noodle casserole with cheese that I'll throw into the oven mid-curling game this afternoon.  It's pretty ho-hum, just some leftovers I'm using up to clean up the fridge.

That pretty much sums up the entire weekend. Lots of activity, but nothing too exciting. 

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  I know it's been cold or snowy or both across much of North America; stay warm and safe!





4 comments:

  1. That octopus is absolutely adorable. :-)

    I don't even want to imagine all the stuff a baby needs. LOL. Pet stuff taking over the house is enough! BTW, it'll be an adjustment for the fur "kids," to have a human baby in the house. Should be interesting!

    Okay, Saskatchewan...in the winter...and your son doesn't wear a seasonal jacket? I don't get that! Most winter days I'm sporting thermal layers under my slacks, and I'm all bundled in my warmest winter coat, scarf, mitts, etc. The Michelin Man's wife (as I waddle along--ha).

    It was bitterly cold here today, but I was well bundled up and the sunshine was glorious, after so many days of grey or mostly grey skies. Bonus: It's not dark at 5 PM anymore, so we're inching toward warmer weather.

    Take care, have a *good* week, hope all goes well, particularly at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in shops that are closing and have seen items on sale, but also items that are not. I have never understood that. Perhaps some items can be returned to where the shop bought them. But it's usually the items I want the most.

    It's been very cold in southern Alberta for the last couple of weeks, with some light snow. But by early next week, the temperature is supposed to be five or seven above zero. We'll see about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have some of that beef noodle if you will! My one cat let me sleep till 0725 once. I felt like a million for the day! Never happened again.
    Some guys are averse to being warm in a coat or jacket. I too wonder about that. I've seen it around here as well when out and about. Oh and I would love to watch the curling with you. I got fascinated by it years ago after having seen it on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I LOVE that octopus. I would have him for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!