Wednesday 24 April 2019

In a good place

The rest of the Easter weekend (including Monday as my son did not have to work) was very quiet.  Other than regular housework, I did pretty much nothing besides reading and enjoying the sunshine outdoors.  I really will miss this yard, especially the front patio and back deck, as I enjoy being out in the fresh air listening to the birds sing.

Speaking of which, I went for another walk this morning and spotted that damn hawk again.  I'm not sure if it is a Merlin or a Kestral but either way I wish it would leave the neighbourhood.  Last year by early July all of the small songbirds were gone.  I assume they moved to more friendly territory but suspect several of them were prey to the hawk.  While it is a beautiful bird and that's nature at work, I still wish it wasn't so effective at disposing of the smaller birds.

I didn't take my camera with me as I walk a little more briskly without it and don't stop quite as often.  I did my circuit again, but walked a little further up to the small bridge in the park.  There I did stop to see if there were any ducks or geese in the water...there were none but I did listen to the blackbirds sing for a bit before I turned back to finish the walk by the pond.  There the geese were making a racket.  I'm not sure if there was romance in the air, but there were several, what I assume were males, extending their necks and flapping their wings and making moves toward smaller birds.  It seemed to be happening without malice so I'm thinking it was amorous rather than arguments. 

After my walk I sat out on the back deck with a cup of tea.  It was still a bit cool about 5C/41F but nice in the sun.  I finished my book Lace by Shirley Conran.  I'd picked it up last summer at a used book sale and it had sat unread in a pile until I returned from my cruise in January.  I was tired of reading on the Kobo (the Canadian version of the Kindle) and ready to hold a real book.  It was an interesting story but dragged on far too long, with over the top drama.  Some of it I could have seen happen but there were parts that were implausible.  But I guess it is a function of the writer's imagination.  I was more relieved than anything else when the story line was finally tied into a neat (though rather disturbing) package.  I felt slightly let done as if the story wasn't finished.

Yesterday's finish was much better.  I had contacted a junk removal company on Monday to pick up the load of items I'd gathered up in the house and yard.  They were busy and so I booked an appointment for Tuesday at 1 p.m.  A young man (the son of the owner) showed up and in a very short time he had his trailer loaded up with my garbage and was on his way.  While he was loading, he told he and his Dad have been doing this full-time for two years, and they are booked solid.  I admire the entrepreneurial spirit but it makes me wonder how much garbage is being sent to the dump.  Yikes and I just added to it!

Before he had even left the driveway I was tackling the floor with a broom.  I used the broom to sweep off the shelves as well, then brought out a bucket of water to clean off the shelves of the remaining dust.  It took several buckets to get rid of the dirt from the past (and I'm ashamed to admit it) nearly 9 years.  I cleaned off the work bench, sorted items to remain with house, things to go to D, and items that I plan to keep.  The items that will stay with the house are the leftover tiles, grout, and casings that may be of use in the future.  This was where I found the door panel that I used to fix the front closet so hopefully the new owners won't be annoyed that I leave these behind.  Below the work bench is the stuff D will take will take back with her when she comes for doctor's appointments next week.  The tall box beside the green chair contain the makings of two 4X4 raised garden beds.  Costco was selling these for a reasonable price, and a check of the reviews indicate although made of vinyl they'll hold up in our prairie winters.  

Next to that box are two televisions and an old computer monitor.  My friend K had mentioned that she knew someone who would take them.  I contacted this person on Monday as well, and she thought she might pick them up on Tuesday but that didn't happen.  I told her I'd like them gone by the end of the week so hopefully I hear from her in the next few days.  I'll call again, if not.

I also gathered up the many, many paint cans (most left over from the previous owner), and an old battery.  The city is having the first of its hazardous waste days on Friday, and I plan to be in the line up at 4 p.m. to drop these items off.  

On the other side of the garage in the wooden shelves are the items that I'm keeping.  There is camping equipment, my son's kitchen gear, electrical cords, and tool boxes and various tools.  The rest is paper towel and toilet paper.  I have decided, I may need to rent a small storage unit for a period of time as I anticipate the new space (whenever that might happen) won't be big enough.  I know I've significantly downsized, but my spreadsheet would indicate the space we'll be moving into will be about a 1/3 of the space we currently have.  I'm not sure I've downsized quite that much!  However, when I do find the perfect place on the island, I'll take some things with me so I don't to purchase everything once I get there.  

Of course, this is all predicated on the sale of the house.  I reached out to the realtor on Monday and had an e-mail back that he is in Costa Rico for a family vacation. 37C/99F temperatures there!  He'll be in touch on Saturday so that we can meet and discuss next steps.  I must admit there was a tinge of sadness when I made that contact.  This house has been a great home for us, but I realize it no longer fits the life I want to lead...more time outdoors, a more walk-able neighbourhood or at least closer to public transportation, and less of a house and yard to maintain.  So while I will miss so much about this property, I'm excited about is yet to come.

In my world, that's a great feeling.

Have a great day everyone!




5 comments:

  1. It's always tough to sell a home you've been in so long - but you will find something that will be perfect for you. You definitely are doing things the right way downsizing and cleaning early. In BC every place that collects deposit bottles acts as a recycle centre. One in town allows old tvs, monitors etc, styrofoam, light plastic (they don't let us put any of that in our curbside recycle). At the dump which is about 20 minutes away they have a paint recycle place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end is in sight...in a good way! Absolutely it will be bittersweet, but a whole new, exciting adventure awaits. You have the resources to have good options, and that's something not everyone has, so enjoy the process! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely getting there. Know what you mean about old paint cans. I have way too many and hope my landfill has a hazardous material day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is a bit melancholy, leaving a house that has been a home. But, as you wrote, there is much to look forward to.

    With regard to implausible events in books (or movies), I always feel that if there is sense within the context, then the writing is valid. This book sounds like it didn't live by that rule. I recall John Cleese giving a funny description of this sort of problem. He said something to the effect that you could have as many dancing carrots on a stage as you like, but if you throw in a dancing stalk of celery, you have to have legitimate reason for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been a little sad on leaving a former home. When we left Florida after we had lived in out first home several years, and moved to another State because he needed to for work...I admit I had tears quite a bit of the ride. The main reason being neither of us wanted to leave Florida as we loved it there. We were just below Cape Canaveral. Things have changed so drastically since then that I have been told and I believe it, that I would not feel at home there at all now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!