Monday 1 April 2019

Return to St. Kitts, Barbados, and Antigua

Since I visited these three ports in January, there aren't a huge number of photos to share with you.  Instead, I tried to find something different from the past to focus on.

Our first port was St. Kitts.  On my last visit I took a tour to Fairview Gardens and Romney Manor.  This time I stuck around the port area, which I've never really visited due to having a tour booked.  It never left much time for wandering the port.

This time I stayed on board the ship for most of the morning.  There was no rush to meet a tour group, and most of my fellow passengers were already off and gone, or off and back on the ship.  I prefer to avoid crowds when I can! 

As we arrived in St. Kitts, I noted the construction of another pier in progress.  Based on the potential length of it, I presume it will be another pier for cruise ships.  These islands rely on tourist dollars to survive so it is understandable.  However, port days were there are several ships in port tend to be gong shows.  I suspect the locals go home exhausted after a day of dealing with us!


So this was the barge bring out supplies (and I believe that cone shaped thing is for cement mixing).  Does that look sea-worthy to you?  It sure didn't to me but these guys didn't seem too concerned.  The block of whatever is on the front was lifted by the crane and moved to the rear of the barge.  Then it left again, so perhaps this wasn't supplies for the pier at all.  I didn't stay to see what happened next. 
While I was up on deck 16 observing the workers, the Carnival ship arrived alongside.  

It is always amazing to me how the ship's captain/crew and the pilot brings these large ships into dock so easily.  They do have the use of the thrusters which move the ship sideways but still!



Once the Carnival ship was in place and tied up, we were cleared the leave the ship again.  As you might expect no one is allowed on the dock while the other ship is moving.  I headed out and wandered around the shopping area for a bit, before heading out of that area to the local craft market.  While there were a few things that were interesting, I didn't buy anything here.  Oh, wait a minute I did too.  I had met a couple on the ship from Courtenay, B.C.  I saw Catherine at the port and she told me she was looking for one of the embroidered badges of the St Kitts and Nevis flag.  I spotted one in Joe Piranha's store so picked it up for her.  It took me a few days to deliver it as I didn't see her again for a bit.

*********
Barbados was cloudy and rainy for most of the day.  I had thought I might take a taxi over to Carlisle Bay to spend the day on the beach but changed my plans based on the weather.  My next choice was to take a taxi over to the downtown area for a walk.

After walking through the shops to the exit doors to the outside, the skies opened up.  Okay, scuttle the second option too!  The shops were just opening then, so I wandered about and checked a few items out.  But again, there was nothing I needed nor wanted so that was the end of my day on Barbados.  

Instead I spent the day hanging by the outdoor pool when it wasn't raining, relaxing and reading under the overhang when it was, and just enjoying the quiet of the ship.

We left early in the afternoon, just 3:30, and I was out with my camera to capture a few photos.  It would have been so nice to spend the day at the beach but it wasn't meant to be this trip.

The port in Barbados is in an industrial area.  There was lots of activity going on, and I found it interesting to watch this equipment move the rail cars about.  

I didn't watch long enough to determine if they were on loading or off loading the cars onto the freighter.  

*******
Antigua is one of my favorite islands, probably because the port is right in the heart of St. John.  You won't see any photos of the church this time though it is one of my favorite spots.  A couple I met on the ship, Judy and Terry took a walk up to see it on my recommendation.  Unfortunately it isn't open for viewing as the reconstruction continues.  However, they were happy to have seen it as they weren't aware of it.
 We arrived in Antigua around 7 a.m., and for a change I was up and was able to watch the pilot arrive to guide the ship into port.  

No sunrise photo, though, as I wasn't awake early enough for that!






It seemed the island was waking up along with me, as it was quiet and there weren't very many vehicles or even marine traffic at this time of the day.  



Just off the island were several freighters (or perhaps tanker ships...I not sure).  These were still anchored in the same area when we left. 


Later in the morning, I wandered off the ship and took a walk through the shopping area, and local market.  I ran into Judy and Terry and joined them at a small cafe for a rum punch.  It was delicious and cold but I would never have more than one.  The locals pour with a heavy hand.    

Perhaps it was the rum but I actually made a purchase in Antigua.  There was a woman's clothing shop near the pier and I decided to take a look.  I found a lovely linen top and a necklace for myself.  The top was tied in a ball which made me think it would be great for travelling.  It does wrinkle but after a bit of hanging most of the wrinkles are gone.  I didn't wear it on the ship, as I wanted to wash it first but did get some use of the necklace as it has different colored beads so goes with pretty much anything.

All in all, I had three nice days at these islands.  While there was nothing truly exciting to report I was able to spend the day enjoying the weather, even the rain as it was warm, and doing as little or as much as I wanted.  

********
I was asked in a comment on yesterday's post about the food on the ship.  This was my 8th cruise with Princess and my third on the Crown Princess.  I would that over time the variety and availability of certain dishes have decreased.  For example, Fred was quite vocal about the lack of escargots (ick!) and I missed the goat cheese souffle I've enjoyed in the past.    But overall, the quality and presentation of the food is still very good.  I had several pasta dishes, one with farfalle that was lick the plate good, that I really enjoyed.  I tried the beef wellington for the first time and was pleased with the dish.  And the desserts cannot be faulted - I stuck with the sugar free most of the time but did enjoy the floating islands (meringue in a cream sauce) one evening.  

The buffet on the Crown is also smaller than the larger ships so has a bit less variety but still offered lots of options including gluten free for those who wanted it.  I generally had my breakfast and lunch there, there were the standard options for breakfast, while lunch I generally had a large salad and a bun.  Overall I'd say the food was as good and often better than other cruise lines.  However, having said that, I know that others might not have similar tastes to mine.  No matter what, I enjoy not having to prepare, clear and clean up the meals!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your take on the food! Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a time, with a nice, relaxing pace. I would have succumbed to the temptation of a tote bag or even two. I'd be pulled in for funky jewelry too, if it was affordable. :-)

    As for the food, I wonder how much leeway the chefs have. I would imagine the menus would have to be planned out well in advance, and probably change regularly too, as you've noted. With all the food allergies, sensitivities and preferences that people have, the menu would be a nightmare to plan, IMO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your unstructured version. It must have been freeing to not be in the structure of a tour. Smiled when you wondered how they were so good at docking these monster ships. To me, I am constantly amazed that something so apparently top heavy doesn't just fall on its side in the first breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t think I’d like to live on a tropical island that depended on tourists for its livelihood. That’d be just too many people for me. I’d be ready for that tiny, secluded beach in the ultimate photo. You’d find me there on a warm day.

    (As for the barge’s unseaworthiness, I’d venture tat it works on the same principle as my bicycle: it’s never in one place long enough to roll over…)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!