Wednesday 3 April 2019

Visiting Grand Turk

Grand Turk Island is described as  the capital island of the Turks and Caicos archipelago, in the Atlantic Ocean. It’s dotted with the remains of salt ponds and windmills from the island’s sea salt industry, prevalent from the 17th to 20th century. The 19th-century Grand Turk Lighthouse is perched on a rocky bluff in the north. Beaches with clear water ring the island, which is home to wild horses and donkeys.

Sounds idyllic, right?  Well...it was in certain places I visited. 



In particular, the beaches are spectacular with white sand and the blue, blue, blue water that defies belief.  Once one gets beyond the beaches though, the island seems almost desert like with scrub brush and native grasses.  This isn't to be unexpected as the island is one of the driest in the Caribbean (or at least that's what our guide told us). 

The port area is owned by Carnival Corp. which owns all the Carnival, Princess and Holland America ships.  It has been built up with high end stores and a Margaritaville for those who chose not to venture any further.

 At the port is a memorial recognizing the splashdown of the Friendship 7 capsule in 1962.  The exhibit was opened in 2011.  

I didn't take photos of everything there but it was an interesting (and to me at least, unknown) aspect of the island.




Once I walked through the shopping area, I made my way out to taxi stand.  I spoke with the agent and explained I wanted to into Cockburn town but did not want to travel alone.  Within minutes I joined a group of four who were doing a tour, along another individual cruiser who, like me, wanted only to ride as far as the town.

Our driver/guide provided a bit of information on the island, it's history, and culture.  I recall he mentioned there are about 5000 inhabitants on the island.  Many of the properties we passed on the way to town were seaside and he mentioned that most were owned by Canadians.  I have to wonder if they haven't paid the taxes as the road outside the properties was rugged!

We were dropped off in downtown Cockburn, which basically consisted of a restaurant and a small souvenir shop, across from several small huts selling beach clothing and food and beverages.  I suspect it wasn't really downtown, just an area for tourists and close to the beach.  

I had asked my fellow passenger if he would be willing to allow me to walk with him as I wanted to wander beyond downtown.  He graciously accepted - he too was wanting to take photos of the area.  We walked away from the downtown on the road just beyond the shore.  

We wandered past a number of buildings and were able to find a path to the beach.  Is that view not incredible?

 Once back on the roadway, we spotted this beautiful house.  This building is typical of others I've seen on other islands.  

Very pretty and well-kept though it didn't appear anyone was resident at the time.
Down the side road were these homes, which I assumed are owned by locals.  There were certainly signs of people currently living in these homes.  











 As well as the incredible beach views, there were also flowering trees everywhere.

I have no idea what this one is, and thought the white one might be frangipani, but a check of images tells me it's not.  Whatever it was, it was beautiful!


We walked about 20-30 minutes from downtown before turning around and returning the way we'd come.  At the beach side hut, we each got a cold drink and sat at a picnic table while we waited for another bus to take us back to the ship.  I learned that Hans is from Germany, he retired about 10 years ago and cruises 4-5 times a year.  His next cruise is in August, another Princess cruise and takes him to Greenland.  Small world, as my friends K & J are also on that sailing!  I wonder if they will run into each other on the ship.

 Back on board ship, I headed for the aft pool for a cool-down.  It was still quiet as most passengers were still on the island.

About 20 minutes prior to the all aboard call, there were lots of people on their way back.  No one wants to miss the ship!

I chose not to go to dinner that evening as I had yet to see the sunset on this cruise.  While there were some clouds in the sky, I wasn't disappointed.


While this was our last port of the cruise, there was one more port.  I don't have very many photos from St. Thomas, so will included in tomorrow's post along with my final thoughts on the cruise.  

4 comments:

  1. My first thought on seeing the water was "absolutely. incredible." Breathtaking. I can imagine how warm it must feel (especially to my chilled body, as it's still really cold here in the mornings).

    It's great you were able to join the group, and then walk with a fellow traveler. And definitely a small world that he'll be on the same cruise as your friends!

    BTW, that sunset shot is stunning. Is it okay if I use it for desktop wallpaper? I promise not to post it anywhere (I wouldn't do that!), but I'd love to use it for wallpaper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just had time to go through your last 3 island posts - beautiful, but Grand Turk beaches look amazing. They are known more for their underwater life than above water. Super great for snorkeling and diving apparently. Friends have a house there and they love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my those beaches and the water are stunning. So glad you had someone to go with especially when one reads about the weird stuff going on in remote places to tourists. That sunset was breathtaking and I am glad you captured it so you can view it whenever you wish. You might want to frame that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mention of Canadians owning property on Grand Turk brought a recollection to me. Do you remember back, I think it was in the 2970s, there was a movement to annex the Turks and Caicos Islands to Canada? I believe the notion crops up from time to time. The beaches look wonderful, indeed, and to have a little house there would be idyllic. But do they get a lot of hurricanes and the like? The topography wouldn’t grant much protection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!