Tuesday 2 April 2019

Magnificent Martinique

Warning - this will be a photo heavy post!

We arrived in Martinique in early morning, shortly after sunrise.  The clouds in the sky were a harbinger for what was to come later, but this early in the day it was just overcast.

This is a brand new port to me, and I was excited to get the opportunity to visit. Martinique is a rugged Caribbean island that’s part of the Lesser Antilles. An overseas region of France, its culture reflects a distinctive blend of French and West Indian influences.

For a change, there was a smaller cruise ship in port with us.  This is the Royal Clipper ship owned by Star Clippers, and yes, one can take a cruise on it...if one has sufficient funds.  I think it would be wonderful but my budget just doesn't cut it.  Plus I would suspect my record of not feeling seasick might be broken.



The port is in the city of Fort-de-France.  It was obviously raining in this photo so my memory of no rain until later in the day is false.  The walkway from the dock took us into a shopping area, (the white tents) and then it was a short walk to the main part of the city.  I did visit there later in the day, but first, a tour to the Balata gardens with a visit to the Balata Cathedral (Sacre-Coeur de Balata), a replica of the church in Montmartre, Paris.  

We met just on the far side of the white tents where there rows of buses waiting.  Our trip took us through the city and out into the countryside and up the hill to the Balata Cathedral.  

It is not a large church but lovely in its construction.  It also provided a viewpoint to see our ship in port.  It looks tiny from this perspective.


I did visit the interior but photo opportunities were limited as there were parishioners as well as tourists visiting.  This is the view of the dome with a bit of light from the windows.  There is some damage apparent but overall it is in good shape.
Next up Balata gardens...and I'll let the photos tell the tale.

 

 The variety of flowers and trees were so incredibly beautiful.  The paths wound around and up and down the hillside.

 As I made my way around the garden, there were short bursts of rain.  Once it started coming down harder, I decided to make my way back to the main buildings.

This photo is of a poinsettia on the front deck area.  At least I recognized it!


Along the side of the building were several hummingbird feeders.  Unfortunately they were all empty but it didn't stop the small birds from trying.  
This isn't a great photo as it was taken from the interior of the bus.  But it does show how the street winds down the hill.  
Once we arrived back in the city, I went for a walk-about.  There was a church spire visible from the ship I wanted to see.
On my walk, I was surprised to see this store!


 This is the St. Louis Cathedral.  I didn't take the time to go indoors as the rain was threatening again (come to think of it, I probably should have).

Just beyond the cathedral were these buildings.  I don't know if the center building was damaged in a hurricane or simply left to deteriorate.  

At this point, it was time to head back to the ship, to change into dry clothing, find something to eat, and relax.  That's just what I did.



Late afternoon as we sailed away the sun was shining, though the clouds in the distance would indicate there was more rain to come.


I had a wonderful day in Martinique and would love to return again one day to see more of this beautiful island!




5 comments:

  1. I wonder if that building had a fire? It looks burned out to me, but who knows.

    Anyway, I can see you had a great day there! Lots of terrific pics, wonderful gardens and hilltop views, interesting architecture with the cathedrals...all great! Plus a hummingbird, of which I'm envious. LOL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the cathedral. Such a shame that so many places won't let you take photos. Ouch, McDonalds. Those gardens looked beautiful but I wouldn't have liked the up parts, just the downs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look like a beautiful island, and Fort-de-France looks like a colourful and interesting town. It's a shame about the McDonald's. It's a wonder about the damaged building you saw. maybe the owner can't afford to refurbish it, and no one will buy it. But it still looks better than the McDonald's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a beautiful place to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!